[ROM] CM6-clean for development / testing

Guest dr.flo

As a by-product of my work on CM7 camera, I needed to re-compile CM6 from source in order to discover how camera integration works there. Initially, the resulting ROM was just meant for testing the libcamera wrapper, but somehow I liked it too much...

I invite you to test this ROM - I also invite ROM builders like twrock to further modify and enhance this rom since I do not plan to add stuff like a2sd of any flavor myself. This is meant to be a "clean" ROM, which comes in a configuration as close as possible to standard CM6 for other devices.

(2012/03/07: You might want to have a look at the Styx rom over there for a more tweaked version of this rom)

This ROM differs from the currently available CM6 mods (all based on latest Tom G port) in the following aspects

• source is newer - synced with cyanogenmod froyo branch some days ago.
  • it uses the same libcamera wrapper as I created for CM7, therefore it does not need eclair compatibility layers. The result is a cleaner froyo build, with normal froyo lib structure (libui, libcamera_client, libsurfaceflinger_client just to mention a few)
  • as a by-product of this, camera doesn't crash anymore when taking multiple hi res pictures (this is true for built in as well as 3rd party camera apps) - no special fix in the code was needed for this.
  • using wpa_supplicant from CM7, the wifi reconnection bug is gone
  • GPS icon bug should be fixed now

Known issues - these are inherited from all CM6 ports to the pulse

• MAC address is wrong -> just use SetMacAddress like usual (not included in ROM)
    • Screen rotation can stop working until rebooted
    • No access to front facing camera by default. This is by design, since froyo does not have native support for handling multiple cameras. You can however use this solution if you need front camera

Issues specific to this ROM:

none at the moment

Be warned that this ROM may have additional issues that are not known yet and are probably not present on other CM6 mods!

Changelog (newest changes in bold font)

- using openetna libloc_api.so to hopefully solve GPS related bugs

- removed related workaround from framework as they are obsolete now

- replaced libOmxH264Dec for smooth YouTube HQ video

- fixed screen rotation not working on 6.1.1 (thanks twrock)

- add CMParts.apk from 20120206 (for 20120202 only)

- add libwebcore.so from HTC Dream official CM 6.1 to fix GMail

- add modified keymap to fix some hardware buttons including camera button

- removed non functional rommanager file from system/app (get rommanager from market)

Downloads:

Version 3

CM 6.1.1 (compiled from branch froyo-stable): here

or:

CM 6.2 (compiled from branch froyo, newer source): here

Kernel 2.6.32 as optional update kernel 32 for cm6 warning: do not use setMacAddress - looks like new wifi driver won't like it.

Minimalistic GAPPS (just android market): android_market.zip

or:

GAPPS with GMail (based on twrocks latest version): gapps

The idea behind providing just market is that remaining google apps can be installed by the user as needed, which saves space on system partition. You might have to go into manage applications and clear cache + data of market app in case certain applications don't show up in the market initially.

Installation:

Flash ROM and market/gapps with ClockWorkMod recovery. A clean install (wipe data / format system) is strongly recommended. The rom should fit any system partition layout (2.1 based ROMs, not 1.x!) due to the small GAPPS package.

Edited by dr.flo

Previous versions for reference - you normally would not want to download them...

V2

Issues: Screen rotation not working on 6.1.1 and GPS workaround not included there

CM 6.1.1 (compiled from branch froyo-stable): cm6-u8220-20120206-v2.zip

or:

CM 6.2 (compiled from branch froyo, newer source): cm6-u8220-20120202-v2.zip

V1

Issues

• CMParts.apk which is included in this ROM should be replaced by the version of TXG06 in order to disable 180° and 270° screen rotation if needed. (only for version 20120202, froyo-stable doesn't have this issue)
  • Camera button does not do anything. Need to touch screen to take a picture.
  • Google Mail not functional To fix: Replace libwebcore.so with this one (origin: update-cm-6.1.0-DS-signed.zip, official CM6.1 release for HTC dream).

The main ROM (compiled from branch froyo-stable): cm6-u8220-20120206.zip

or:

The main ROM (compiled from branch froyo): cm6-u8220-20120202.zip

Edited by dr.flo

I will, absolutely WILL, be playing with this rom this weekend! Thanks very much for doing the hard work and making it available. I'm very excited to see some of those nagging bugs already taken care of.

(And I'm really hoping for decent battery life.)

I will, absolutely WILL, be playing with this rom this weekend!

Good to have you on this thread. I believe you're an ideal tester. I personally did not use any CM6 rom before, so I only know mine a little. You know your own ROM well, so you can judge whether we have achieved an improvement with this ROM or not...

Regarding the orientation bug, this should be fixed once we switch to kernel .32 (different sensor drivers in kernel + rom, unlikely to show the same bug). Still I would like this ROM being tested a little on kernel .29, especially regarding things like battery life.

Also, I never made a phone call, or connected any headphone. My pulse is from ebay, I don't have an adapter... Maybe you can check if the DSP is working...

I'm not quite happy with the GPS situation yet, but it shouldn't be worse than what we have now. My way of "hiding" the gps icon is just a workaround. The problem is that we're using eclair gps libs on this ROM (Tom G also did). I'll maybe spend some more time on this...

Good to have you on this thread. I believe you're an ideal tester. I personally did not use any CM6 rom before, so I only know mine a little. You know your own ROM well, so you can judge whether we have achieved an improvement with this ROM or not...

Regarding the orientation bug, this should be fixed once we switch to kernel .32 (different sensor drivers in kernel + rom, unlikely to show the same bug). Still I would like this ROM being tested a little on kernel .29, especially regarding things like battery life.

Also, I never made a phone call, or connected any headphone. My pulse is from ebay, I don't have an adapter... Maybe you can check if the DSP is working...

I'm not quite happy with the GPS situation yet, but it shouldn't be worse than what we have now. My way of "hiding" the gps icon is just a workaround. The problem is that we're using eclair gps libs on this ROM (Tom G also did). I'll maybe spend some more time on this...

I'm really excited. I was already in bed, but decided to check MoDaCo one more time before I fell asleep. I saw this post and got right out of bed to download it. (For some reason I couldn't get the download to start on my phone; and Mediafire is really slow tonight, still only 75% downloaded after 15 minutes!) I'm a little frustrated that I won't be able to play too much since I have to work tomorrow (Saturday). But once I install it, I'll start checking all the basic functions before doing any modifications.

I've only ever had the orientation bug once. After that I disabled all but 90 degrees and I always hold the phone in portrait while booting. Oh, I also turn off rotation in ADWLauncher. I haven't had the problem since that.

Thanks again.

I've only ever had the orientation bug once. After that I disabled all but 90 degrees and I always hold the phone in portrait while booting. Oh, I also turn off rotation in ADWLauncher. I haven't had the problem since that.

Thanks again.

It is definitely present. Had it 2-3 times already. But I did not disable any xxx degrees and do not hold the phone in a special way during boot.

I won't be looking into this issue because my plan is to switch to kernel .32 as soon as we know the basic functions of this ROM are bug-free with current kernel.

You can expect the kernel .32-version of this ROM next week. Some libs need to be adjusted to match the kernel (e.g. copybit, sensors, compcache, wifi, maybe others as well) but that should all be no issues... I'll set it up during the weekend.

edit: so maybe before releasing mods, you might want to wait for the new version... otherwise we'll confuse people... But of course you can already test mods, normally the kernel version should not make a difference...

Edited by dr.flo

It is definitely present. Had it 2-3 times already. But I did not disable any xxx degrees and do not hold the phone in a special way during boot.

I won't be looking into this issue because my plan is to switch to kernel .32 as soon as we know the basic functions of this ROM are bug-free with current kernel.

You can expect the kernel .32-version of this ROM next week. Some libs need to be adjusted to match the kernel (e.g. copybit, sensors, compcache, wifi, maybe others as well) but that should all be no issues... I'll set it up during the weekend.

edit: so maybe before releasing mods, you might want to wait for the new version... otherwise we'll confuse people... But of course you can already test mods, normally the kernel version should not make a difference...

I'm installing a more complete gapps for testing. If I'm going to have a functioning phone, I need to be able to sync Contacts and Calendar.

How comfortable are you that the .32 kernel is stable? What about the "green screens" people are seeing on CM7.2? How about battery drain and other reported issues? I tend toward a more conservative/stable rom vs. all the latest and fastest stuff.

I'm installing a more complete gapps for testing. If I'm going to have a functioning phone, I need to be able to sync Contacts and Calendar.

How comfortable are you that the .32 kernel is stable? What about the "green screens" people are seeing on CM7.2? How about battery drain and other reported issues? I tend toward a more conservative/stable rom vs. all the latest and fastest stuff.

green screen is rather cm7.2 "feature". I had it when I synced source with CM a week before, but never anymore myself. Should not be applicable to cm6.

I read many other favorable reports on .32 battery life vs. 29 kernel. That's something to be studied.

By feeling I incline to believe .32 kernel is better than .29 stock kernel in that respect.

Fine. I just picked the minimalistic solution because I didn't find a suitable gapps package. Maybe you are more experienced in that.

I don't know yet. But I believe that - apart from the wifi issues, which we will solve sooner or later - kernel .32 is the one which has more future. Look at all the progress that has been made. I would like to work with kernel .32 on the CM6 rom. This is to give that kernel a chance to show its real performance. Some of the issues this kernel is facing might in reality stem from the CM7 rom. For the further improvements to this kernel, having a stable rom base would be favorable.

Of course, for CM6-clean, stability should be the highest goal. We should seek for a rom which is suitable to replace elair in every aspect. It should be as fast and stable as ecliar. Should we find that kernel .29 performs better regarding overall usability of CM6, we may of course stay with it. I don't need a particular version number to make be happy.

-----

How do I know on CM6 if a kernel supports overclocking? Will it show up in CM settings? Or do I need a 3rd party app to control overclocking?

How do I know on CM6 if a kernel supports overclocking? Will it show up in CM settings? Or do I need a 3rd party app to control overclocking?

you need 3rd party app - i used Antutu CPU Master

edit:

gapps

Edited by hzf

As hzf says, you can use a 3rd party app to see it/control it. IIRC, there is nothing in CM6 to show you that.

There are a number of boot.img's floating around that have OC. Of course you can pull the one out of TXG if you want. That boot.img is max 691mhz and has had adjustments to lowmem, swappiness, and default cpu speed. I can't boot kernels that have 710 or higher OC; my cpu can't handle the initial boot.

Guest mustafa_ale

i dont know it is bug or not same as the others CM6 Mod

when video playing, it cant stop/close (using back/ home) button,

We should waiting until the video end.

- No GPS icon when close GPS Application now

- Auto reconnect wifi ok now

thnks dr,flo

waiting for .32 kernel

i dont know it is bug or not same as the others CM6 Mod

- No GPS icon when close GPS Application now

- Auto reconnect wifi ok now

Thanks for testing! I can confirme this video player behaviour. It is the same in CM7. I don't know if that's a bug or intended. You can exit video player if you do a long-press on home button (like you exit browser). But then, next time you enter the player, it continues from that point... anyone knows if this is related to our roms, or is this general behaviour of CM6 (or even froyo) also on other devices?

Hmm, I can't find how to turn off 270 degrees in this version of CM6. I see 180 has a toggle, but in the version Tom used, 90, 180, and 270 were all possible to toggle off. (And I really want to turn off 270 degrees; it is frustrating to have it jumping to that orientation too often.) Also, it seems that ADWLauncher is an older, not newer, version. Why would CM6.2.0-RC0 have an older version of ADWLauncher than CM6.1.0-RC2 and also have functionality removed? I'm confused. :huh:

So far, so good though. I haven't found any bugs today. I haven't had a lot of time to mess with it, but everything I've done has gone just fine.

Also, DT A2SD is working as normal (v. 2.7.5.2).

Edited by twrock

Hmm, I can't find how to turn off 270 degrees in this version of CM6. I see 180 has a toggle, but in the version Tom used, 90, 180, and 270 were all possible to toggle off. (And I really want to turn off 270 degrees; it is frustrating to have it jumping to that orientation too often.) Also, it seems that ADWLauncher is an older, not newer, version. ...

About ADWLauncher, I don't know really. There are two branches, froyo and froyo-stable. I took branch froyo because it received updates more recently. froyo-stable should reflect the state at the time of CM 6.1 release. It might just be that ADWLauncher was updated for the official relaese, but they left it at an older version in the "development" branch.

Regarding Rotation. This is controlled via Cyanogenmod Settings, right? These are in CMParts.apk. That component doesn't build from the latest sources (some commit seems to have broken it). So I picked CMParts.apk from some other unofficial CM6.2 rom. But now I think it would be better to just take the one from TXG07. Try it! It should give you back the 90 / 270 options.

edit: and thanks for your testing! I hope you'll continue, especially since I believe we've just fixed your screen rotation problems...

Edited by dr.flo

I just found out that not only CM6 + CM7, but also stock froyo u8150 rom shows this behavior. Although this is annoying, it doesn't seem to be a bug.

About ADWLauncher, I don't know really. There are two branches, froyo and froyo-stable. I took branch froyo because it received updates more recently. froyo-stable should reflect the state at the time of CM 6.1 release. It might just be that ADWLauncher was updated for the official relaese, but they left it at an older version in the "development" branch.

Regarding Rotation. This is controlled via Cyanogenmod Settings, right? These are in CMParts.apk. That component doesn't build from the latest sources (some commit seems to have broken it). So I picked CMParts.apk from some other unofficial CM6.2 rom. But now I think it would be better to just take the one from TXG07. Try it! It should give you back the 90 / 270 options.

edit: and thanks for your testing! I hope you'll continue, especially since I believe we've just fixed your screen rotation problems...

I have to out, but I will try as you suggest later today.

How hard would it be for you to compile the latest froyo-stable for our phone as you did with froyo (development)? That is something I've always wanted to be able to work with. I had hoped Tom would have gotten that far, but he stopped with RC2 and moved on to CM7.

Things are still looking very stable for me. Maybe a little slow, but that might be because I have gotten used to a very lean 2.1

Edit: First attempt failed. Replaced CMParts and CMPartsHelper. Cleared cache and rebooted. Attempting to access CM Settings force closes.

Edited by twrock

Edit: First attempt failed. Replaced CMParts and CMPartsHelper. Cleared cache and rebooted. Attempting to access CM Settings force closes.

Tried myself. I only replaced CMParts (not Helper). Didn't clear anything. Works for me and the screen rotation options appear and are functional. Please try again....

(I used TX06.zip but that really shouldn't matter)

I might try compiling branch froyo-stable instead of froyo. Shouldn't be difficult. But it will take ages to sync the repos, especially because they're partially broken and require manual hacking of manifest.xml

Edited by dr.flo

hey,

one thing from me:

I am unable to take pictures with camera button(u8230) - but touching the screen works fine - anyone has the same problem?

Edited by hzf

I am unable to take pictures with camera button(u8230) - but touching the screen works fine - anyone has the same problem?

Doesn't work for me on u8220 as well. But it does start video recording when in video mode, so the button is functional.

Does it work on TXG (for taking pictures!), anyone knows?

Edited by dr.flo

Doesn't work for me on u8220 as well. But it does start video recording when in video mode, so the button is functional.

Does it work on TXG (for taking pictures!), anyone knows?

update on camera:

after battery removal, stock camera app gives "please insert sd card before use..." love message...

installed FX Camera -working fine, button functional

-- it seems 3rd party app might be required for fully functional camera --

will check video as well with 3rd party app - pudding camera fc so far, will test it later.

it seems I have some SD card problems - however everything seems working except camera

Edited by hzf

Tried myself. I only replaced CMParts (not Helper). Didn't clear anything. Works for me and the screen rotation options appear and are functional. Please try again....

(I used TX06.zip but that really shouldn't matter)

I might try compiling branch froyo-stable instead of froyo. Shouldn't be difficult. But it will take ages to sync the repos, especially because they're partially broken and require manual hacking of manifest.xml

Yes, I also got things working eventually, replacing only CMParts. Thanks for the help.

installed FX Camera - working fine, button functional

ok, 3rd party camera app(Pudding Camera tested as well) solved the button problem for me.

so far it's fast and stable - not missing OC.

I will check if I can re-produce the SD problem...