[ROM] CM6-clean for development / testing

Guest dr.flo

I think you've just become a friend of kernel .32 ;)

It can be expected that this one will not have orientation freeze.

Now if it turns out that battery life is equal or better than with the old kernel, I think cm6 has finally got the kernel it deserves...

:D

I'm still seeing the same pattern when screen rotation is enabled or disabled. I'm guessing that the CPU speed jumping up and down when the phone is supposed to be doing nothing has got to eat into the battery life. So I am now in the habit of turning off screen rotation unless it is really needed. It is nice that CM has a Power Control widget on steroids. I can add a rotation toggle there and in the Notification power widget.

Anyone willing to install 1.5 / 1.6 (yes there is 1.6, telekom de update) and do benchmarks there?

never knew we had 1.6. Is there link to rom? (to broaden my knowledge)

Edited by pier11

I'm still seeing the same pattern when screen rotation is enabled or disabled. I'm guessing that the CPU speed jumping up and down when the phone is supposed to be doing nothing has got to eat into the battery life.

It might makes sense to look into um840 behavior to compare when have time. Kernel is the same, but the rest is "official". There is different akmd2 (sensors) demon, which reportedly responsible for consuming battery, so might be a difference there...

never knew we had 1.6. Is there link to rom? (to broaden my knowledge)

I think somebody tested it and it's actually 1.5 (but not sure, haven't had the need to go back to it).

wow,

have you installed it ever?

No, I got my pulse in dec 2011 and there was 2.1 official available already. It had 1.5 on it when I got it.

Maybe D-D- is right, it might be a typo. But who knows....

Do you have the kitchen still installed - you could extract it and view build.props quickly...

Edited by dr.flo

No, I got my pulse in dec 2011 and there was 2.1 official available already. It had 1.5 on it when I got it.

Maybe D-D- is right, it might be a typo. But who knows....

Do you have the kitchen still installed - you could extract it and view build.props quickly...

I also recall that it is actually a 1.5 rom. IIRC, I did download it a long time ago, hoping it really was 1.6, but was disappointed.

ramdisk is identical to normal cm6, as ramdisk depends on android version, just kernel zImage replaced ;)

I spoke too soon. I believe it defaulted to 528 for me only because that is what my previous settings were. After putting this boot.img in a rom and installing it fresh, I can not boot. I will edit the init.qcom.rc and see if I can get it to work.

Edit: My bad. Once again, I made the mistake of making two changes at once and assume the problem could only possibly be caused by one change and not the other. All is well. I can boot the .32 kernel just fine as-is.

Edited by twrock

Hmm, screen rotation not working at the moment.

Has anyone but me put the .32 boot.img into the rom and installed it as a single package? Can you verify rotation is working in that scenario?

i installed two dr.flo' packages - cm6.2-v3 and .32 kernel update. That was it. Rotation works - just checked.

So are you saying you did a single package install or still installing them separately? I'm trying to figure this out and it is making no sense.

I just went back to the beginning and ONLY replaced the boot.img in CM6.1.1-v3 with the .32 kernel update (non-modified), and upon booting for the first time, I again had no rotation at all (prior to any settings being adjusted).

I'll check the same thing with CM6.2-v3.

my sequence was:

1. Factory reset, /system format (I have a habit to start installations like that)

2. Install cm6.2-v3 package by dr.flo

3. Install .32 update package by dr.flo

4. reboot

Edited by pier11

I just went back to the beginning and ONLY replaced the boot.img in CM6.1.1-v3 with the .32 kernel update (non-modified), and upon booting for the first time, I again had no rotation at all (prior to any settings being adjusted).

Just replacing boot.img in cm6.1.1-u8220-v3.zip is wrong.

kernel32_for_cm6.zip contains many required parts for system to work properly.

I'd guess sensors.default.so from there is responsible for your rotation...

Just replacing boot.img in cm6.1.1-u8220-v3.zip is wrong.

kernel32_for_cm6.zip contains many required parts for system to work properly.

I'd guess sensors.default.so from there is responsible for your rotation...

So sorry! Yes, I now see that there is a system folder in the install zip. I hadn't looked carefully at what was there. Thanks.

Edited by twrock

On unrelated note, I feel we need to assemble (or maybe find somewhere) new gapps.

Is I can see the one referenced in twrock's Basic rom was based on the last available gapps-mdpi-tiny-20101020-signed.zip

That's year 2010 and I'd quess many things has changed since, rendering the participating ones outdated.

On the other hand we have freshest froyo 2.2.2 in case of um840 from year 2012 (same screen resolution), or

if more compatibility needed - official froyo from HTC Magic (same screen resolution) ...

What do you think?..

It'd be also make sense to go gingerbread-style in a sense to remove all apps available on Market for the platform. Like gmail, maps, voice search, youtube...

EDIT:

tested gapps-mdpi-tiny-20101020-signed.zip - works fine. As expected many apps are outdated. It's easy to replace them, or better remove if available on Market, like in gb-gapps. But what concerns, as expected again, is that system utilities, that are not available via market are same way outdated.

I'd guess this archive could be a guide on structure for potential update by us...

Edited by pier11

On unrelated note, I feel we need to assemble (or maybe find somewhere) new gapps.

Is I can see the one referenced in twrock's Basic rom was based on the last available gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip

That's year 2010 and I'd quess many things has changed since, rendering the participating ones outdated.

On the other hand we have freshest froyo 2.2.2 in case of um840 from year 2012 (same screen resolution), or

if more compatibility needed - official froyo from HTC Magic (same screen resolution) ...

What do you think?..

It'd be also make sense to go gingerbread-style in a sense to remove all apps available on Market for the platform. Like gmail, maps, voice search, youtube...

Yes, it would be very good to update Gapps.

The link in the OP of this thread to a gapps I assembled has all the apps up-to-date at the time I did it. (I believe they still are the most recent.) However, that is also assuming that there was no need to update any of the "support" files (/lib, /bin, sync apk's, etc.). I know everything works, but that doesn't mean everything is up-to-date.

Also, even this build of CM6 has out of date apps. Superuser and ADWLauncher are two of those. I have already replaced those and other apps in the Styx mod I'm working on.

Regarding moving most gapps to /data, that only is necessary when the base rom size approaches the limit of /system. Otherwise you are just wasting /system space. I tend to put apps that do not often change into /system, along with "necessary" apps (some FileManager, Market, etc.). The CyanogenMod people started that whole game of separating Gapps out to comply with Google's cease and desist order. Before that, Gapps were simply integrated into the CM rom. And of course size has now become an issue as well.

Just my $0.02.

Edited by twrock

CM6.1.1 w/ .32 kernel.

I'm having trouble with Wifi dropping connection and not reconnecting. Happened while the screen is on. The last time, attempting to go into settings to force a disconnect/reconnect resulted in a restart from the boot animation. Then although wifi was on, it could not locate the network it had just been connected to. Attempting to turn off wifi once more again resulted in a restart of the system.

I almost never use the cell data connection, so I use Wifi more heavily than most.

The bad news is that I experienced something very similar yesterday.

I thought it was just a one time effect, but the fact that it happened to you proves that it's not.

But I have no idea what to do about it. I think we must wait and see if similar reports come up for um840 rom where the same wifi driver is in use now.

For so long, maybe we'll need to stay with kernel .29

@dr.fo

did you compare md5 of wifi firmware files when decided to package only half of them? Or just sizes?

might be something with that...

md5, but I might have missed one.

I'm wonderig though, because initially wifi was working... that makes me think the set is complete.

The bad news is that I experienced something very similar yesterday.

I thought it was just a one time effect, but the fact that it happened to you proves that it's not.

But I have no idea what to do about it. I think we must wait and see if similar reports come up for um840 rom where the same wifi driver is in use now.

For so long, maybe we'll need to stay with kernel .29

Looks like we were both thinking the same thing: it's just me, one time.

Sorry to hear that. It was looking good with .32 kernel up until then. I have reverted to the .29 kernel and will run with my latest mod to keep testing that (Styx). I've still not determined the full battery potential, since I keep testing instead of really "using" it.

Thanks again for all your efforts. If nothing else, you've given us a much better CM6 than we had previously, basically bug-free! :D