notifcations, headphones and speakers

Guest Poag

Hi All,

A maybe/maybe not easy question.

Tl:dr version

What recent android devices are there that do not push notifications to the phone speaker when the headphones are plugged in?

Long version.

I'm a commuter, i travel 2 hours each way twice a day. So i listen to alot of music, podcasts and the like on the train.

Currently, with my SGS2, i have to have my phone on mute on the train (I use the quiet carriages so I can doze for most of the journey, I find it alot harder in the non quiet carriages to do this) this means I need to keep actively checking my device for new messages rather than just listening out for the notification sound, its become my biggest bugbear with Android over the last year.

I had a Desire followed by a Nexus S. CM7 on both, the NexusS/CM7 allowed me to toggle notifications off. The SGS2 however does not, i've gone through a number of ROMs and onto the latest, and very awesome, CM9 in my quest to find one that lets me do this. But alas I have not found one that does let me do so.

I understand, vaguely, that the SGS2 audio is "very dodgy with patches all over it" and thus it may not be possible to allow/disallow speaker notifications.

So I ask to those out there, what are my choices? Its become a significant rage inducing problem recently where I find an urgent message has been waiting on my phone and i was oblivious to it, so much so that I am considering...a iphone (i feel dirty :()

Please help me avoid this disaster :)

I'm not on contract, I do use alot of data so phones on 3-One Plan (i have a month by month atm, tis awesome :)) I am not adverse to going contract if its reasonable :P

Really tho I am searching for phone suggestions.

My preferences are fairly simple:

I'm not after a super thin phone, i prefer those that hold a decent charge.

Large screens are nice but not a must, i dont watch much video or play many games on my phone.

Decent battery life (ha!)

A headphone jack thats on the bottom of the phone would be nice, but again...not a deal breaker.

Thanks

-Poag

Hmmm, i'll have to try this out on my devices.

I know that when using Bluetooth headphones, the notifications are sent via BT...?

P

I'm not sure. I dont have any BT headphones just corded ones :)

its just something that has annoyed me with android since almost day one and i've never found a phone that didn't do it by default, even more so that most ROMs out there didn't, in my mind, correct the issue either.

It just seems like a silly setup, why play notifications over a speaker when the headphones are plugged in? or are they expecting people to plug in headphones and then leave them connected when not listening to them.

Cheers Paul!

Lost of replies on Twitter to this one Poag. :)

P

Yeah been having a looksee. Seems very inconsistent across the Android ecosystem.....

Looks like a Galaxy Nexus, shame about the camera tho I've heard?

Whats your thoughts, should everything be piped to headphones only when they are connected, or split between headphones and speakers?

Guest RenkliArif

The Galaxy Note plays notification sounds via the headphones (On Rocket ROM at least), but the ringtone is still played through the speaker.

Edited by RenkliArif