Android Market problems

Guest redhawkuk

Guest redhawkuk

I'm having a real problem with Android Market today I downloaded the Skype update only to find it didn't install at all. :blink:

No matter how many times I attempted to reinstall Skype it would appear to download and then go back to being not installed.

I had the same problem with all 3 versions of Angry Birds I could "Install" but they never actually install on my phone.

So I hacked the wifi connection on my Racer monitoring communications and files being downloaded from the Android Market (passive downloading).

When installing Skype the Market application appears to make an attempt to download but was cut short to 63KB the same happened for all 3 versions of Angry Birds except their files were cropped to 6KB.

Just to make sure I wasn't having a problem with the Market in general I updated some other existing apps and they all installed without a hitch.

My only question is why?? what's the deal with Skype or Angry Birds for that matter why won't they download correctly. :angry:

Richard S.

Edited by redhawkuk

Guest equiliym

what rom are you using? there was a cache problem on older versions of android with market so we couldnt download bigger apps from it, only install it via file manager, if youre using an older version that might be your problem :o

Guest redhawkuk

I guess you're right both Skype and Angry Birds are quite large and yet claim to be 2.1 compatible which ironically cannot be downloaded.

I tried to cheat the system by running Android Market inside an Android 2.2 emulator but many applications are not searchable.

The weird thing is I've already patched build.prop to make it look like a Racer running Android 2.2 but this trick didn't work.

Am I going to have this problem with custom ROMs??

Can I or does there exist a Android Market App patch which gets around these annoying device specific filters??

Richard S.

Edited by redhawkuk

Guest equiliym

no, 2.3 afaki doesnt use cache partition so there are no problems with downloading large apps from market.. if youre on 2.1 you can just download apk from internet and copy on SD card and then install, that way it wont show errors

Guest lfernandes

no, 2.3 afaki doesnt use cache partition so there are no problems with downloading large apps from market.. if youre on 2.1 you can just download apk from internet and copy on SD card and then install, that way it wont show errors

or he can use this app: https://market.android.com/details?id=tk.rede.cacheFixer&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsInRrLnJlZGUuY2FjaGVGaXhlciJd .

This app create a virtual cache and you can use it as download cache. I used it a lot with android 2.2 and 2.1.

Guest plegdroid

or he can use this app: https://market.android.com/details?id=tk.rede.cacheFixer&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsInRrLnJlZGUuY2FjaGVGaXhlciJd .

This app create a virtual cache and you can use it as download cache. I used it a lot with android 2.2 and 2.1.

ahh good man, I can see some good uses for this,low cache partition layout for none cm7 based roms. thanks for sharing :D

Guest lfernandes

ahh good man, I can see some good uses for this,low cache partition layout for none cm7 based roms. thanks for sharing :D

Tanks, glad to help the racer's users.

Guest redhawkuk

I tried it but it doesn't work the Tempfs option gives me 0MB swap space the data option fails too - "Error Cache NOT moved!".

If I was to partition my SD Card and install an ext3 file system how would I go about mounting it manually as /cache from the su console??

Richard S.

Guest lfernandes
I tried it but it doesn't work the Tempfs option gives me 0MB swap space the data option fails too - "Error Cache NOT moved!".

If I was to partition my SD Card and install an ext3 file system how would I go about mounting it manually as /cache from the su console??

Richard S.

Try the other option. It is slower but have more compatibility Edited: i didn't see that you have tried the other option. Wath room do you have?

Edited by lfernandes

Guest redhawkuk

I have about 76.9MB internal memory free, 862MB free on my SD card and 60MB RAM free.

# df

/dev: 82532K total, 12K used, 82520K available (block size 4096)

/system: 153600K total, 142984K used, 10616K available (block size 4096)

/data: 302976K total, 224228K used, 78748K available (block size 4096)

/persist: 1536K total, 1156K used, 380K available (block size 4096)

/sqlite_stmt_journals: 4096K total, 0K used, 4096K available (block size 4096)

/sdcard: 1959520K total, 1076096K used, 883424K available (block size 32768)

/cache: 12800K total, 1160K used, 11640K available (block size 4096)

logcat data:

I/CacheFixer( 4640): remountCache: Unmounting /dev/block/mtdblock3 and mounting /dev/block/loop7 on /cache

E/CacheFixer( 4640): remountCache: ERROR mounting partition. /dev/block/mtdblock3 will be restored

D/CacheFixer( 4640): removeCacheImg: Removing file /data/data/tk.rede.cacheFixer/files/cache.img

W/CacheFixer( 4640): Cache NOT moved!

D/CacheFixer( 4640): updateInfo: Running 'mount' and 'df' in order to obtain /cache info

D/CacheFixer( 4640): updateMount: Parsing mount info

D/CacheFixer( 4640): updateMount: Parsing complete! /cache source: /dev/block/mtdblock3 (FileSystem: yaffs2)

D/CacheFixer( 4640): updateSizes: Parsing df info

D/CacheFixer( 4640): updateSizes: Parsing complete! /cache size: 12 /cache free: 1 /data free: 218

D/CacheFixer( 4640): removeCacheImg: No file found on /data/data/tk.rede.cacheFixer/files/cache.img

Any idea what's going wrong??

Richard S.

Guest lfernandes

I have about 76.9MB internal memory free, 862MB free on my SD card and 60MB RAM free.

# df

/dev: 82532K total, 12K used, 82520K available (block size 4096)

/system: 153600K total, 142984K used, 10616K available (block size 4096)

/data: 302976K total, 224228K used, 78748K available (block size 4096)

/persist: 1536K total, 1156K used, 380K available (block size 4096)

/sqlite_stmt_journals: 4096K total, 0K used, 4096K available (block size 4096)

/sdcard: 1959520K total, 1076096K used, 883424K available (block size 32768)

/cache: 12800K total, 1160K used, 11640K available (block size 4096)

logcat data:

I/CacheFixer( 4640): remountCache: Unmounting /dev/block/mtdblock3 and mounting /dev/block/loop7 on /cache

E/CacheFixer( 4640): remountCache: ERROR mounting partition. /dev/block/mtdblock3 will be restored

D/CacheFixer( 4640): removeCacheImg: Removing file /data/data/tk.rede.cacheFixer/files/cache.img

W/CacheFixer( 4640): Cache NOT moved!

D/CacheFixer( 4640): updateInfo: Running 'mount' and 'df' in order to obtain /cache info

D/CacheFixer( 4640): updateMount: Parsing mount info

D/CacheFixer( 4640): updateMount: Parsing complete! /cache source: /dev/block/mtdblock3 (FileSystem: yaffs2)

D/CacheFixer( 4640): updateSizes: Parsing df info

D/CacheFixer( 4640): updateSizes: Parsing complete! /cache size: 12 /cache free: 1 /data free: 218

D/CacheFixer( 4640): removeCacheImg: No file found on /data/data/tk.rede.cacheFixer/files/cache.img

Any idea what's going wrong??

Richard S.

I really don't know waths appening because with me allways worked (but now I remember that I have a ext3 partition on my sd card - I created it over one wear ago and i've forgotten that I have it, and a swap partition too on the sd card with 100MB). Backup your sd card and create this partitions on sd card with the size you want and see if it works.

Guest redhawkuk

I found a work around which doesn't involve using Cache Fixer unfortunately this application didn't seem to like my phone.

I used a spare 1GB micro SD card, resized the partition with a program called EASEUS Partition Master (in a memory card reader).

Next I created a ext2 partition roughly 128MB in size and swapped the memory card for the one already in my phone.

Started the Racer and "adb shell" mount -t ex2 /dev/block/vold/179:5 /cache

Not sure what the hell 179:5 is but needless to say it mounted and appeared to be the size of my ext2 partition.

Now I was able to use the Android Market to download Angry Birds 1,2,3 (20+GB each) and Skype at the same time while copying /cache/downloadfile.apk to /sdcard B)

One thing I did notice although I was able to mount /dev/block/vold/179:5 it wouldn't let me umount I kept getting "Failed" for some reason - any idea why??

Richard S.

Edited by redhawkuk

Guest lfernandes

I found a work around which doesn't involve using Cache Fixer unfortunately this application didn't seem to like my phone.

I used a spare 1GB micro SD card, resized the partition with a program called EASEUS Partition Master (in a memory card reader).

Next I created a ext2 partition roughly 128MB in size and swapped the memory card for the one already in my phone.

Started the Racer and "adb shell" mount -t ex2 /dev/block/vold/179:5 /cache

Not sure what the hell 179:5 is but needless to say it mounted and appeared to be the size of my ext2 partition.

Now I was able to use the Android Market to download Angry Birds 1,2,3 (20+GB each) and Skype at the same time while copying /cache/downloadfile.apk to /sdcard B)

One thing I did notice although I was able to mount /dev/block/vold/179:5 it wouldn't let me umount I kept getting "Failed" for some reason - any idea why??

Richard S.

Try to partition it with clockworkmod recovery, I remember that i've tried to partion my sd card with some software with my pc and I also have some issues with that. When I've made the partitions with clockworkmode recovery it worked.