Strange battery problem

Guest hazi1964

Guest hazi1964

I've been trying to find an answer to my problem for about a week via various sources and so far have drawn a blank.

Bit of background. I have the s2 GT i9100, it came direct from Samsung UK so is totally unbranded and is on gb 2.3.4 which is the latest firmware (have checked this with Samsung and they are not releasing 2.3.5 for theirs for some reason, will be straight to ICS).

I have not rooted or anything, it's in it's out of box state.

The problem I am getting is that if the battery drops to 49% or lower, if I then reboot by pressing and holding the power button for about 8 seconds, I lose as much as 30% battery.

One of two people have tested it on theirs and only one so far has replicated the problem, he's in 2.3.5 with Vodafone uk.

This in itself wouldn't be a major problem as it doesn't happen if I power off the phone and then power it on again. However, last night, I actually had OVER 50% left, probably nearer to 60% and I turned on tethering. Within two minutes, the phone rebooted itself and I was left with just 17% battery. So, it seems the problem has got slightly worse.

I am waiting for Samsung to get in touch, they will probably replace the handset, however, my concern is that another one might do the same or have even worse problems. I'm worried because I had the s and had major problems with that, it was sent for repair and came back ten times worse and they then replaced it with the s2.

So, you can understand my concerns.

I love the phone and that is my only problem. I am trying to determine whether it's software or hardware and would be interested to know if anybody on here has any insight as to what this might be as its a most inconvenient problem, especially if it happens when I am not near a charger.

If anybody would be kind enough to test theirs for me, that too would be appreciated but remember, it needs to drop to UNDER 50% as it doesn't happen before that. Post results here of course.

Sorry for the long winded post.Thank you in advance. I have also searched on XDA and the AT&T models seem to have similar issues but it's considered a feature as opposed to a fault and mine is not AT&T&

Again, thanks in advance

Alison

• 2 weeks later...
Guest john.smith

Damn, I feel like such a dork now.

One thing I hadn't tried was a factory reset. So, I tried it and fingers crossed, it seems ok now.

What a plonkaAlison

Strange that nobody replied you for the last 10 days!

You will need Battery Monitor Widget or some sort to read the actual voltage, and recalibrate the battery or wipe battery stat (need root and/or CWM).

This issue is not uncommon in Android phones especially if you swap batteries with different capacities (OK, not your case).

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hazi1964
1330651179' post=1910523']

Strange that nobody replied you for the last 10 days!

You will need Battery Monitor Widget or some sort to read the actual voltage, and recalibrate the battery or wipe battery stat (need root and/or CWM).

This issue is not uncommon in Android phones especially if you swap batteries with different capacities (OK, not your case).

Only just seen your reply. The problem I was happening is an unusual one as I wasn't suffering battery drain, just sudden loss of power if I dared to reboot. I already had a battery monitor and had calibrated etc etc.

After posting the problem was sorted, it actually wasn't. Finally I took the plunge and flashed the polish ics via Odin and that did sort the problem so it was something to do with the firmware after all.

I've certainly never had this problem with any android phone in the past.

On another forum, there were a few others that also discovered they had the exact same problem and they too updated to the polish ics which sorted theirs out too.

Alison

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jr866gooner

Have to admit I have just upgraded to ICS and found battery was draining not really fast but enough to notice...opted to a spare an hour of my FM time to factory reset. I had previously just upgraded with out flushing anything so I think the direct route in my case want the best way to go...

Since I did a factory reset my battery today has been flawless! I am going to give it a fair run till the weekend to be sure but all is promising so far! :)