wifi in .32 kernel

Guest pier11

I thought to create separate topic on wifi issue in .32 kernel,

as it affects many roms already:

- cm7.2

- um840

- cm6.x new builds if used with this kernel

also it's the last annoying problem of .32 kernel.

To start I found this development of cm7 for u8100/u8110/u8120 based on .32 kernel. Those devices feature our ar6000 driver. Worth to investigate...

Don't know actual state of things there but they claim "--Wifi fixed" in UPDATE_12-FIX.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1295844

u8120 is also known as Pulse Mini...

Edited by pier11

maybe this one?

https://github.com/t...el_huawei_u8120

Kernel:2.6.32-9 (based on u8160 sources)

this commit expicitly refers addition of ar6000 to kernel

original reference I found says wifi and wifi hotspot working

we need to figure which wifi driver they used to make wifi hotspot working (and wifi in general) - the one from huawei or that openmoko in the kernel source tree...

the one from huawei or that openmoko in the kernel source tree...

I would guess they used the latter - at least it was mentioned and commited in one go....

Would that mean if we go back to your first version of wifi integration (if it is identical to that) and extract ar6000 files from a current u8120 rom, we might already be done? that would be too simple, wouldn't it?

... extract ar6000 files from a current u8120 rom, we might already be done? that would be too simple, wouldn't it?

try just ar6000.ko from their cm7. If it's openmoko compilation, it should already make a difference. (My current integration is quite close to that already, just a bit less hacks.)

well, in the latest joilaroi's kernel config from Jan 4

CONFIG_AR6000_WLAN=m

Looks like they do really build it. I think roots of this driver goes all the way to zte blade. (and then to openmoko of course)

EDIT:

here is zte blade commit (should be same as in u8120 tree):

github.com/ZTE-BLADE/ZTE-BLADE-2.6.32/commit/37e68d163dd7d5c04f2aed461fb7d3c3b719f3ed

Edited by pier11

Guest lloco73

this is an offtopic but when doing the wifi issue can also update kernel to boot into fastboot? I know that this is not a issue by itself but old kernel has this option enabled.

woohooo - connected to my wifi router using u8120 wifi driver from their cm7.2

Just borrowed /system/wifi - that's it. No more changes.

wifi itself works, did not test on resume yet.

EDIT:

looks it resumes.

EDIT2:

but sometimes doesn't.

EDIT3:

after a while it can't connect. But it's not dead as before. If go to wifi settings, it scans, but can't connect. If manually ask it to, it will connect. I.e. no need to reload kernel module by turning wifi off/on.

This behavior reminds me of older cm6. Maybe cm7 supplicant would help here too.

Edited by pier11

but sometimes doesn't.

EDIT3:

after a while it can't connect. But it's not dead as before. If go to wifi settings, it scans, but can't connect. If manually ask it to, it will connect. I.e. no need to reload kernel module by turning wifi off/on.

This behavior reminds me of older cm6. Maybe cm7 supplicant would help here too.

Did you test on um840? using TXG06 (TomG original) version of wpa_supplicant? That one is definitely broken. I remember having read on some cyanogenmod related forum that other devices also had resume issues. They were considered fixed in cm7. Likely wpa_supplicant from cm7 branches received some related fixes.

----> Take wpa_supplicant from cm72 (or from cm6-clean, is the same). Pretty sure it will help. What you have sounds like good old cm6 wifi reconnection bug!

edit: or try their wpa_supplicant?

Edited by dr.flo

like we are talking about kernel i have a question.?

Is .32 kernel backward compatible with the stock 2.1 rom?

it is not supposed to be. Eclair were developed on .29 kernel. It had never tested on .32 kernel.

Official Froyo kernel is .32

Guest lloco73

it is not supposed to be. Eclair were developed on .29 kernel. It had never tested on .32 kernel.

Official Froyo kernel is .32

Thanks

My question was because i've tested kernel .32 on Eclair and it booted ok, but after configuration it gave me a FC on home screen.

any news on that?

I was working on updating the cm6 roms today so I couldn't test anything myself yet...

yes, looks like wpa_supplicant from cm7.2 helps.

I was away from my wifi for 5 hours with the device, and when returned pulse has reconnected to wifi - awesome!

EDIT:

checked USB tethering - also works.

Edited by pier11

yes, looks like wpa_supplicant from cm7.2 helps.

I was away from my wifi for 5 hours with the device, and when returned pulse has reconnected to wifi - awesome!

sounds promising :)

do you know if there is still a rom online that has the old wifi integration (that causes reboots) - rom_u8150-FR.01.zip maybe?

Perhaps it ( = the zImage used on another rom where wifi works) won't reboot with new ar6000.ko...? It might bring us closer to wifi hotspot?

Edited by dr.flo

Resume really works.

Reconnected automatically after overnight inactivity.

So this really fixes long standing issue with wifi. Which in fact was not even with kernel itself but wifi driver...

do you know if there is still a rom online that has the old wifi integration (that causes reboots) ...

Perhaps it ( = the zImage used on another rom where wifi works) won't reboot with new ar6000.ko...? It might bring us closer to wifi hotspot?

this is dtox's build against .32 kernel. It was before wifi integration got revisit.

Besides U8220 I have also a U8110 (Pulse Mini).

The best image for that phone (the most complete ROM) is from Anryl.

http://forum.xda-dev...php?p=11287884#

The next best thing for U8110 is a remoded ROM with ICS look from Sneki - but also everything works.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1369063

thanks for you input.

does wifi hotspot work on either?