wifi in .32 kernel

Guest pier11

@pier

This driver will also correct CM7.2 wifi issue?

yes, it should. But non traditional driver and firmware location in cm7 makes it not just copy/paste exercise. I'm thinking to merge driver's code into kernel first and recompile with firmware paths expected in cm7.

(@dr.flo)Or to patch libhardware_legacy.. Is it in our tree, not CM one, right?..

(@dr.flo)Or to patch libhardware_legacy.. Is it in our tree, not CM one, right?..

It is in cm source tree (hardware/ if I remember correctly), but hardcoded paths come from defines set in our board_config. You will easily recognize them...

I love new wifi. It has reconnected again after overnight sleep.

(tested on um840)

New wifi driver even helps ideos x3 rom reconnect properly. Has done it several times.

Let's wait for some reports from cm6 with new kernel, but I think we can consider reconnection bug as solved!

Guest desalesouche

New wifi driver even helps ideos x3 rom reconnect properly. Has done it several times.

Let's wait for some reports from cm6 with new kernel, but I think we can consider reconnection bug as solved!

evrything is working fine.cm6.2 -v3 and 32 kernel wifi ok ...

With regard to wifi driver we've started to use,

if source of which was correctly referenced by author, then it's the same in the following places:

tas0s / kernel_huawei_u8120

https://github.com/t...wireless/ar6000

ZTE-BLADE / ZTE-BLADE-2.6.32

https://github.com/Z...wireless/ar6000

"ar6000-2.6.32" git HEAD @ git.openmoko.org

http://git.openmoko....s/ar6000-2.6.32

So it's true, that's AS IS openmoko's driver.

Need to try to compile to make sure the theory is correct :)

EDIT:

compiled and got 2.3 MB ar6000.ko module, which obviously does not match to 266 KB that we are using.

I see that monstrous sizes in initial commits of Blade CM device. Then suddenly the module shrunk 10 times...

EDIT2:

Here Blade people discussed new wifi driver from their stock firmware. Appeared that driver found its way in binary form into their CM device tree. So that's why module size shrunk so dramatically. No source - beautiful.

Remember TeliaSonera mobile operator name from that thread...

EDIT4:

tested the driver. It insmod-s fine. Android refuses to scan. Error:

E/WifiHW ( 1447): Unable to open connection to supplicant on "/data/system/wpa_supplicant/eth0": No such file or directory

It also causes Android to reboot soon after enabling wifi in settings...

EDIT3:

on cm7 blade: "The Atheros wifi driver source is something that we do not have so we're using the precompiled ar6000.ko from ZTE. When we switched to the 2.6.35 kernel we borrowed the ar6000.ko module from the ZTE Skate."

Edited by pier11

Is wifi still working without issues on um840 rom? I'm trying to understand what may cause the issues on cm6. If I remember correctly, we have nearly identical setup because wpa_supplicant (from cm7), its .conf (from cm6) and init,qcom.rc (from cm6???) are the same?

Guest pier11

The best image for that phone (the most complete ROM) is from Anryl.

http://forum.xda-dev...php?p=11287884#

checked Anryl's ar6000.ko from 14-10-cm-7.1.0-RC1-U8120-Anryl rom (was this one the latest?) - the same file

md5: ee15bbb4d196637da15efcbb84d837c2 ar6000.ko

It looks like it was originaged on u81x0 devices from Kallt_kaffe u8100 rom. But where he got it from??

Guest pier11

also checked u8100/10/20 cm9 roms for ar6000.ko (md5):

ee15bbb4d196637da15efcbb84d837c2  ar6000.ko.joilaroi

ee15bbb4d196637da15efcbb84d837c2  ar6000.ko.Lolol

ee15bbb4d196637da15efcbb84d837c2  ar6000.ko.SLY

ee15bbb4d196637da15efcbb84d837c2  ar6000.ko.Zack

...you got the idea...

Edited by pier11

• 2 weeks later...
Guest joilaroi

also checked u8100/10/20 cm9 roms for ar6000.ko (md5):

ee15bbb4d196637da15efcbb84d837c2  ar6000.ko.joilaroi

ee15bbb4d196637da15efcbb84d837c2  ar6000.ko.Lolol

ee15bbb4d196637da15efcbb84d837c2  ar6000.ko.SLY

ee15bbb4d196637da15efcbb84d837c2  ar6000.ko.Zack

...you got the idea...

Hi.

I started using this ar6000.ko module in CM7 because it was the only one I could load with the kernel 2.6.32.9-perf for u8160 rom.

The other roms started using it after I made it load in U8160 kernel.

The ar6000 driver in kernel U8160 from tas0s in just a test cause it wont load, its from blade rom.

The module came from Cas_xp Froyo beta 10 from this Link but I think it was made by huawei sources because the atheros version is 2.2.1.151 but the ar6000 compiled from ar6k sdk 2.2.1.151 from codeaurora wont load.

The original ar6000 sources from huawei work fine but the driver is old.

To make hotstapd work you have to make some changes in android sources and have a hotstapd file in bin and hotstapd.conf in system/etc/wifi and add the hotstapd service in init.XXXX.rc

best regards

Edited by joilaroi

Guest pier11

To make hotstapd work you have to make some changes in android sources and have a hotstapd file in bin and hotstapd.conf in system/etc/wifi and add the hotstapd service in init.XXXX.rc

Hi joilaroi! Cool to have you here!

Thanks for your input.

Before that recent driver as in your roms, we had tons of problems with one compiled from Huawei sources, as well as one appeared in some Huawei roms - m860, um840 (but that devices are broadcoms in fact). That driver fell asleep and never woke up. Not a case anymore.

As for the hotspot. I understand what you mean be "hotstapd file in bin and hotstapd.conf in system/etc/wifi and add the hotstapd service in init.XXXX.rc", but what do you refer by "make some changes in android sources". Is it custom UsbController.cpp or something else?

Guest joilaroi

Hi joilaroi! Cool to have you here!

Thanks for your input.

Before that recent driver as in your roms, we had tons of problems with one compiled from Huawei sources, as well as one appeared in some Huawei roms - m860, um840 (but that devices are broadcoms in fact). That driver fell asleep and never woke up. Not a case anymore.

As for the hotspot. I understand what you mean be "hotstapd file in bin and hotstapd.conf in system/etc/wifi and add the hotstapd service in init.XXXX.rc", but what do you refer by "make some changes in android sources". Is it custom UsbController.cpp or something else?

You have to replace wlan0 to eth0 in android_source/system/netd/SoftapControllerATH.cpp and in android_source/hardware/libhardware_legacy/wifi/wifi.c search for ar6 and replace wlan0 with eth0 because they are for blade rom. as for the init.xxx.rc add in the file:

# Wifi hotspot

service hostapd /system/bin/logwrapper /system/bin/hostapd /data/misc/wifi/hostapd.conf

group wifi inet

socket wpa_athap0 dgram 660 wifi wifi

disabled

oneshot

it should work

Guest pier11

You have to replace wlan0 to eth0 in android_source/system/netd/SoftapControllerATH.cpp and in android_source/hardware/libhardware_legacy/wifi/wifi.c search for ar6 and replace wlan0 with eth0 because they are for blade rom. as for the init.xxx.rc add in the file:

# Wifi hotspot

service hostapd /system/bin/logwrapper /system/bin/hostapd /data/misc/wifi/hostapd.conf

group wifi inet

socket wpa_athap0 dgram 660 wifi wifi

disabled

oneshot

it should work

Thanks a lot for the information!

Maybe last question for today :)

How do you know ar6000.ko version? You said it is 2.2.1.151. How did you figure that out?

Edited by pier11

Guest joilaroi

Thanks a lot for the information!

Maybe last question for today :)

How do you know ar6000.ko version? You said it is 2.2.1.151. How did you figure that out?

I hexedit ar6000.ko and saw it uses atheros 2.2.1.151

Guest pier11

I hexedit ar6000.ko and saw it uses atheros 2.2.1.151

true, tons of entries like this:

/home/mmao/pcsuite/atheros_2.2.1.151/olca_2.2.1.151/host/os/linux/ar6000_drv.c

good to know

There is nothing like that in ar6000.ko from m860 and um840 roms.

Edited by pier11

Guest rajoni

Sth. strange is happening with WiFi. When testing every rom with .32 kernel wifi connection get killed after a while - approximately every 28 minutes. And after that it gets connected again for the same amount of time before it gets killed again. So I was wondering is this a kernel or driver problem. I tried to use drivers from zte blade but I got an error on trying to turn the wifi on. Any ideas?

Guest rajoni

I believe that this is happening because of the default wrong mac address. When I used in styx dr. flo's method to change mac to correct value wifi stayed connected without an issue. dr. flo said that same can be done for hardware_legacy for cm7. I don't know how to do it but I would be grateful if someone who knows how finds the time to do this so we can resolve another issue.

Edited by rajoni

Guest rajoni

Sth. strange is happening with WiFi. When testing every rom with .32 kernel wifi connection get killed after a while - approximately every 28 minutes. And after that it gets connected again for the same amount of time before it gets killed again. So I was wondering is this a kernel or driver problem. I tried to use drivers from zte blade but I got an error on trying to turn the wifi on. Any ideas?

Well, after successfully changing MAC with dr. flo's solution I have to say that this problem is NOT mac related. I think that it has to be boot.img issue, since on styx or cm6.1 clean with .32 kernel my wifi is stable and connected for a very, very long time without interruptions. This is happening in roms that are made with boot.img from pier's cm7.2, and in x3 rom. I will test stock froyo and post findings. If anyone has an insight on this problem, please share your findings.

Well, after successfully changing MAC with dr. flo's solution I have to say that this problem is NOT mac related. I think that it has to be boot.img issue, since on styx or cm6.1 clean with .32 kernel my wifi is stable and connected for a very, very long time without interruptions. This is happening in roms that are made with boot.img from pier's cm7.2, and in x3 rom. I will test stock froyo and post findings. If anyone has an insight on this problem, please share your findings.

The .32 kernel is from pier, so and I think it's the same .32 kernel everywhere, so it can't be kernel related.