cm 7.1 questions... and general rom discussions...

Guest rajoni

Guest rajoni

Hello everyone.

First, let me congratulate and thank every one of you for great work and many roms for our pulse. So I want to share my experiences.

So far the best rom is pier's official froyo, but it is too stockish for my taste (battery life great, stable, no fcs).

After that I have to mention TXG and styx from twrock (battery life on txg is the best but HQ videos does not resume after pause/seek, and styx is great, smooth youtube perfect but battery life not so good. I'm talking about roms with .29 kernels).

Cm6 clean from dr. flo are very nice, but very often my phone freezes for 2-3 seconds doing normal stuff, like going through file explorer, browsing etc (both versions with .29 kernel, .32 is still unstable, sometimes reboots on its own especially when I enter the WiFi settings).

Cm7.2-latest it reboots every time on its own when my battery gets below 50% and I had 3 green screens when tried to rotate to landscape mode. And battery life is just killing me. So that one is still a no go.

The one I haven't fully tested is the one from official cyanogenmod website dated june sth., but it looked very nice and promising. It is missing a lot of files, libs or sth I don't know to make it fully functional. There are four problems in that rom but I believe that I could resolve two of them. Those are: gps icon bug (I think I can resolve it by replacing libloc_api.so from cm6 clean) and WiFi reconnection bug (by replacing wpa_supplicant from cm6 clean as well).

The other two I am unable to resolve. Those are: radio (ril, I mean network and data connection), and the second one is camera. Please, if anyone of you has the time just to write down which files and from which rom I need to take and add/replace in the official cm7.1 rom I would really appreciate it.

Best regards.

Guest dr.flo

The one I haven't fully tested is the one from official cyanogenmod website dated june sth., but it looked very nice and promising. It is missing a lot of files, libs or sth I don't know to make it fully functional. There are four problems in that rom but I believe that I could resolve two of them. Those are: gps icon bug (I think I can resolve it by replacing libloc_api.so from cm6 clean) and WiFi reconnection bug (by replacing wpa_supplicant from cm6 clean as well).

The other two I am unable to resolve. Those are: radio (ril, I mean network and data connection), and the second one is camera. Please, if anyone of you has the time just to write down which files and from which rom I need to take and add/replace in the official cm7.1 rom I would really appreciate it.

you can have a look at the extract script in cm7 sources. The files listed there are the ones that are missing for RIL and also other stuff like video decoding. You can take these files from any rom (eclair / cm6 /cm7, since they are always the same).

for camera you need (in addition to some files listed above!) from pier11's current cm7:

libcamera.so

camera.so

libcameraservice.so

Some comments

libloc_api will not work - there is no such file on cm7 to replace. But I'm not aware of gps related bugs on cm7.

wpa_supplicant from cm6-clean is taken from cm7. replacing it on cm7 once again should not make any difference.

Go ahead and try it. Should you find that the old rom behaves better in some regard, then please let us know!

Edited by dr.flo

Guest rajoni

you can have a look at the extract script in cm7 sources. The files listed there are the ones that are missing for RIL and also other stuff like video decoding. You can take these files from any rom (eclair / cm6 /cm7, since they are always the same).

for camera you need (in addition to some files listed above!) from pier11's current cm7:

libcamera.so

camera.so

libcameraservice.so

Some comments

libloc_api will not work - there is no such file on cm7 to replace. But I'm not aware of gps related bugs on cm7.

wpa_supplicant from cm6-clean is taken from cm7. replacing it on cm7 once again should not make any difference.

Go ahead and try it. Should you find that the old rom behaves better in some regard, then please let us know!

Hi dr. flo,

thank you for your suggestions. Everything went well besides the camera part. Is says "cannot connect to camera".

Never mind that. I'm dropping this. I'm not an expert after all :) Maybe someone will get bored and create 7.2 with .29 kernel :) Or pier will improve his 7.2 with .32 kernel :) Still, there are a lot of nice roms here. I think I will stick to your cm6 or twrock TXG. Thank you again.

Best regards.

Guest twrock

After that I have to mention TXG and styx from twrock (battery life on txg is the best but HQ videos does not resume after pause/seek, and styx is great, smooth youtube perfect but battery life not so good. I'm talking about roms with .29 kernels).

I don't recall exactly what was done to get HQ video working in dr.flo's cm6, but it would probably solve that problem in TXG as well. I believe it was something as simple as replacing one file.

In my experience this last week, Styx has better battery life than TXG. Interesting to me that your experience is the opposite. :huh: But I do disable screen rotation until I need it, and I do use the original TomG boot.img (no OC).

I agree that if I am going to use a Froyo rom, it needs to be CM and not stock. If I'm going to use a stock rom, I'll stick with FTB (2.1). But everyone has different tastes.