Discussion thread for ColdFusionX

Guest tilal6991

Guest bAzYx

Think I may have asked this before but not sure what the answer was! Is there any way to 'backup' the widget info to save having to add them again? Same goes for DPI value/mount scripts. Even without wiping anything all of these disappear/revert.

Not sure if Titanium or something has the option (at least for the widgets).

Some launchers provide the ability to backup your settings. Try to look into the launcher settings...

Guest Redstarr1

Some launchers provide the ability to backup your settings. Try to look into the launcher settings...

Yes but you always have to restore your widgets. I think it's a minor inconvenience, I have 5 widgets on my homescreen and it takes maybe 2 minutes to restore them after flashing a new rom. Don't think even a nandroid backup keeps the widgets. Widgets need a link to data and that link is broken if you restore a launcher that link is broken. Afaik there's no fix for that.

Guest Josh92

Yes but you always have to restore your widgets. I think it's a minor inconvenience, I have 5 widgets on my homescreen and it takes maybe 2 minutes to restore them after flashing a new rom. Don't think even a nandroid backup keeps the widgets. Widgets need a link to data and that link is broken if you restore a launcher that link is broken. Afaik there's no fix for that.

Okay, thanks for clearing it up anyway guys, it's no big deal, just adding the widgets, resetting dpi and remounting scripts takes as long as installing the rom itself for me :)

Guest trueno2k

Here's a question for all you dev's & hackers...

Is there any benefit to odexing CFX (aka CM9 port) and if so, what methods & tools would you use to odex CFX?...

I've just found out that odexed roms run much much smoother than deodexed roms as the odex files are optimised for faster launching of the particular apk & also increases faster access times & fluidity of multitasking... So, would it not be better/wiser to odex CFX so that our OMC's / Skate's run even more smoother & faster than before?..

Edited by trueno2k

Guest sui785

Has anyone actually tried putting a high capacity battery in the Skate? I've tried it with my Desire Z and it's lifetime is longer but the phone looks fatter(and the phone is already extra fat/quite heavy with the built in keyboard).

Edited by sui785

Guest hugobosslives

Here's a question for all you dev's & hackers...

Is there any benefit to odexing CFX (aka CM9 port) and if so, what methods & tools would you use to odex CFX?...

I've just found out that odexed roms run much much smoother than deodexed roms as the odex files are optimised for faster launching of the particular apk & also increases faster access times & fluidity of multitasking... So, would it not be better/wiser to odex CFX so that our OMC's / Skate's run even more smoother & faster than before?..

meh not really any point mate.

odex apks are more done to optimise for the boot process. this is why a lot of stock roms are odexed to make boot times super quick. for example if i turn on my m8s s3 it boots in 14-16 seconds. whereas my skate takes about a minute and half (tho that is also due to worse hardware and a large amount of linked apps to mount)

the other problem with odexed apks are that you cannot mess with them very easily. a great part of android is the ability to theme and customize the shite out of it. this is why almost all custom roms have been deodexed. cm9 for example is constantly being tweaked and new features added. for example, if you have been using the soft keys threads you will know that you have to update the systemUI and framework at every new build as the cm team keep tweaking these apps. it will not make sense to work with an odexed rom whilst the rom is still changing so much

basically, I much prefer a deoxded rom as I love hacking/modding/theming and a odexed rom like AOSP would make all that take double the time.....

Edited by hugobosslives

Guest trueno2k

Odexing only really applies to boot times?... Really?... So, why is it that other dev's are stating that having an odexed rom on a particular device increases their productivity due to it using less ram to launch & run and is quicker access time?... Also heard it reduces load on the dalvic cache or something like that which helps the responsiveness of the device...

So, what you're getting at is the pure simpleness of having modifiability with custom roms when they are deodexed & the constant odexing will just slow the process down!... So, why not just have an odex version of the custom rom with the official stable version for people who aren't really into extra customisation, so that they get the best possible smooth & fast experience of android?...

So, for those that are happy with the standard customisation that is already built into custom roms & installed apks, an odexed rom would be sufficient, right?... For instance I love the minimalist style & look of ICS & I dont care for extra tweaks like softkeys, status bar mods, & whatnot... If you really wanted all that then why don't you collectively get AOKP fully ported over! This rom surely has all the tweaks built into the rom!... I just don't like having CM9 modded even more as it just looks spanky as way it is already!...

These are just thoughts and opinions really, haven't really got to grips with all the knowledge of android & custom roms yet, so no flames at me for any comments from the post ;D

Guest Josh92

Is it possible to revert back to trebuchet from Nova on cecos latest build? Like it, just not the way it leaves the search bar as a widget therefore not allowing as many apps/widgets on the pages (i still want the search bar though)

Guest hugobosslives

Odexing only really applies to boot times?... Really?... So, why is it that other dev's are stating that having an odexed rom on a particular device increases their productivity due to it using less ram to launch & run and is quicker access time?... Also heard it reduces load on the dalvic cache or something like that which helps the responsiveness of the device...

So, what you're getting at is the pure simpleness of having modifiability with custom roms when they are deodexed & the constant odexing will just slow the process down!... So, why not just have an odex version of the custom rom with the official stable version for people who aren't really into extra customisation, so that they get the best possible smooth & fast experience of android?...

So, for those that are happy with the standard customisation that is already built into custom roms & installed apks, an odexed rom would be sufficient, right?... For instance I love the minimalist style & look of ICS & I dont care for extra tweaks like softkeys, status bar mods, & whatnot... If you really wanted all that then why don't you collectively get AOKP fully ported over! This rom surely has all the tweaks built into the rom!... I just don't like having CM9 modded even more as it just looks spanky as way it is already!...

These are just thoughts and opinions really, haven't really got to grips with all the knowledge of android & custom roms yet, so no flames at me for any comments from the post ;D

nah it does speed up apps as well. just not by very much. you will not notice it on most apps.

you have to build it differently so it is not that simple. tho saying that it would be reasonably easily possible to build an odex build from cm source if wanted. its just that there is not much point.

no you have been confused. AOKP is different to AOSP. "Android Open Kang Project" versus "Android Open Source Project". the first is a custom rom similar to cm9 but by a different community. The second is Google source (i.e what the nexus roms are built from). It is from this that cm9 and AOKP fork from.

Who has got CM9 source code?

have a read of what open source means......

Is it possible to revert back to trebuchet from Nova on cecos latest build? Like it, just not the way it leaves the search bar as a widget therefore not allowing as many apps/widgets on the pages (i still want the search bar though)

Trebuchet installer here: http://tinyw.in/xike

It will remove the Nova Launcher automatically.

Flash via clockworkmod

Guest trueno2k
no you have been confused. AOKP is different to AOSP. "Android Open Kang Project" versus "Android Open Source Project". the first is a custom rom similar to cm9 but by a different community. The second is Google source (i.e what the nexus roms are built from). It is from this that cm9 and AOKP fork from.
Erm, I never mentioned anything about AOSP!... I know AOSP is works completely from the original stock source which replicates the look & feel of stock android & AOKP is an alteration of AOSP which works to provide users a better experience of android just like what the big company names like Samsung, HTC, & whatnot do to their androids to distinguish themselves from other android platforms...

I'm just saying if people are really bothered with hacks & tweaks on their android device then why not just flash AOKP instead CM9?... I do understand that in situations that AOKP isn't available & CM9 is then people after hacks & tweaks are warranted to get that AOKP look & feel on their CM9 android devices... But anyways, enough about CM9, AOKP, & AOSP... I was only curious about odexing & deodexing, nothing more, nothing less... Peace! :P

2pence done!... :P

Guest hugobosslives

my point was more that AOSP roms are usually odexed. as they are built for people who want stock. Whereas AOKP and CM are deoxded

Guest Redstarr1

Erm, I never mentioned anything about AOSP!... I know AOSP is works completely from the original stock source which replicates the look & feel of stock android & AOKP is an alteration of AOSP which works to provide users a better experience of android just like what the big company names like Samsung, HTC, & whatnot do to their androids to distinguish themselves from other android platforms...

I'm just saying if people are really bothered with hacks & tweaks on their android device then why not just flash AOKP instead CM9?... I do understand that in situations that AOKP isn't available & CM9 is then people after hacks & tweaks are warranted to get that AOKP look & feel on their CM9 android devices... But anyways, enough about CM9, AOKP, & AOSP... I was only curious about odexing & deodexing, nothing more, nothing less... Peace! :P

2pence done!... :P

CM has about the same goal as AOKP, to add features to AOSP. CM7 isn't even at final now, so you can't really expect CM9 to stay at stock. If you want something more like AOSP, you're kind of dependant on tilal. There's not a single rom here that's odexed so I'm guessing it's not a big deal.

Guest trueno2k
my point was more that AOSP roms are usually odexed. as they are built for people who want stock. Whereas AOKP and CM are deoxded
Now I understand what you're getting at! :P I do see your point now that you have pointed out that about AOSP... I thought some AOSP roms are deodexed, so that tweakers can enhance there own devices from stock versions?...

Guest hugobosslives

Now I understand what you're getting at! :P I do see your point now that you have pointed out that about AOSP... I thought some AOSP roms are deodexed, so that tweakers can enhance there own devices from stock versions?...

yer thats the whole point.

you start with a manufacturer/ASOP rom which will be odexed,

then if someone wants to modify and play with it (which is essentially what AOKP and CM do) they will first deodex it and then play :D

Guest Redstarr1

Would the theme chooser of CM even work if it were odexed? That's thé selling point of all CM roms, the custom themes that go beyond what themes for a launcher can do.

Guest IaMHcG

Hi, I have a question.

I flashed Coldfusion as instructed. Wipe->flash-> wipe again->reboot. But the overall performance was quite laggy. Everytime I touched the screen to initiate a task, it had to wait a pulse to start responding. Is it normal, or is there anything I can do to run coldfusion more smoothly? thanks.

Guest sui785
Hi, I have a question.

I flashed Coldfusion as instructed. Wipe->flash-> wipe again->reboot. But the overall performance was quite laggy. Everytime I touched the screen to initiate a task, it had to wait a pulse to start responding. Is it normal, or is there anything I can do to run coldfusion more smoothly? thanks.

Try advanced -> wipe Dalvik Cache

Guest plegdroid
Hi, I have a question.

morning, freeze out any apps you don't use, and in settings, developer options, set max processes to four.

:)