Choosing ROM ...

Guest monographix

Guest monographix

Bare with me please as i am total noob with all this and caught currently in a very hectic life pace and cant afford to learn the various installation procedures some roms require and test the roms out there (thank you dev people for your work and sharing ) . I'd like to find out with the help of your input the closest one to following "specs". (Will then learn its installation method, install it and keep for some serious amount time until i have enough free time to look for something more or different according to how and if the way i use the phone would have change by then).

i'd like the following to be part of the rom or available as third party

I am concerned about :

---------------------------------

- Battery life

- Stability - compatibility (especially apps compatibility)

- All hardware features enabled - working

- Application types currently i am interested in : viber, whatsapp, skype, GPS, flight radar (with camera support) , Overclock, Terminal Emulator, TPT Helper

Things i would like :

--------------------------------

- Shadows on icons / widgets (like the MIUI mix match shadows style)

- Animated orientation rotation

- motion & animation smoothness

Edited by monographix

Guest rufus2005

I agree with frankish, go with Ice Armor 3.

As far as I can tell everything seems so work fine. Only slight concern will be with gps, i had a problem with it thinking I was going in opposite direction in previous version, probably fixed now

Guest PedroVader
I agree with frankish, go with Ice Armor 3.

As far as I can tell everything seems so work fine. Only slight concern will be with gps, i had a problem with it thinking I was going in opposite direction in previous version, probably fixed now

Another vote for Ice from me, its rock solid in day to day use, with plenty to tinker with if you want to, it'd be my rom of choice if I wasn't on CM9

Guest JetKun

Another vote for Ice from me, its rock solid in day to day use, with plenty to tinker with if you want to, it'd be my rom of choice if I wasn't on CM9

what is advantageous for cm9 over cm7 ice armour iii?

Guest JThumar

Go for miui mix n match once its stable....it has ice armor as base....

ics will get there eventually as no 1..tilal will do it !!!

atomic if u want battery.....

Guest TrollFaceEngaged

If you're a gaming addict like me, I'd go for AtomicMod. better battery life.......LogicMod. If you prefer changing the look of ur skate, or u like ics, go for CM7(ICAIII)/MIUI/CM9 respectively. If u want a rooted skate ROM, try out Skatie. Do bear in mind that you can create backups of these ROMs in CWM and restore them if u don't like one or the other, but have some SD card space for it. Good Luck, you'll need it! ;)

Guest crnadakm

miui mix gps off wifi and data off has amazing battery life for me

What is the amazing?

I get about day and a half battery life with CM mod 7 with normal usage.

with wifi on and playing games it cannot last a single day...

Edited by crnadakm

Guest monographix

Thanks people

1. How is the situation with battery life comparing stock rom with custom roms (lets say atomic, skatie, Ice Armor etc )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Your help please regarding this :

I am interested in this http://android.modac...ost__p__1895195 . which is a 3 files Local Stock Skate rom , (contains boot.img, recovery.img, system.img)

I already have ( i believe) a V2a patrtitions layout, and CWM installed.

If i understood right, i can use this stock Rom by using the recovery command from CWM excluding though the ROM's recovery.img and following these steps ? :

1. create a nandroid.md5 (Have some info maybe how is made, where is placed, how is used ?)

2. and then through CWM format boot, system, data, cache in mounts and storage, (4 wipes in total?)

3. Use recovery command from CWM and have it point to the forementioned Local Stock ROM zip file (with its recovery.img file deleted) ?

Edited by monographix

Guest razzmataz1478

Thanks people

1. How is the situation with battery life comparing stock rom with custom roms (lets say atomic, skatie, Ice Armor etc )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Your help please regarding this :

I am interested in this http://android.modac...ost__p__1895195 . which is a 3 files Local Stock Skate rom , (contains boot.img, recovery.img, system.img)

I already have ( i believe) a V2a patrtitions layout, and CWM installed.

If i understood right, i can use this stock Rom by using the recovery command from CWM excluding though the ROM's recovery.img and following these steps ? :

1. create a nandroid.md5 (Have some info maybe how is made, where is placed, how is used ?)

2. and then through CWM format boot, system, data, cache in mounts and storage, (4 wipes in total?)

3. Use recovery command from CWM and have it point to the forementioned Local Stock ROM zip file (with its recovery.img file deleted) ?

Or use adb/fast boot...

Guest monographix

Thanks Razz ... since i used already one time CWM, i thought if only maybe figuring out the nandroid.md5 thing would be easier for me to go through CWM. I havent managed yet to read through the whole ADB /. fastboot stuff. You think the ADB way is easier ?

Guest razzmataz1478

Thanks Razz ... since i used already one time CWM, i thought if only maybe figuring out the nandroid.md5 thing would be easier for me to go through CWM. I havent managed yet to read through the whole ADB /. fastboot stuff. You think the ADB way is easier ?

Yes if you know how to do it....one minute

I posted a link on how to use fast boot in your other thread. And if you still want to restore through clockworkmod I'll try and help you on that thread...

Edited by razzmataz1478

• 1 month later...
Guest monographix

If I'm honest Atomic is better for gaming, but Ice Armour has a smoother UI. CM9 is still in the works really, although I'd reccomend trying it for ICS. And in the next release of cm9 the camera will be fixed, albeit without camcorder functionality.

I haven't been following the ROM's scene, so as to a quick update can i ask whats the situation with ROMs at the moment ? :

Which one is recommended now, that provides full hardware functionality and is more complete? Not interested in games, interested in battery life, speed, compatibility, stability, smoothness. (apps that more interest me are GPS, wifi, 2G/3G, camera, screenshots related) . From the ones i had tested in past i liked the looks and feel of the mixmatch miui the most but it was buggy and incomplete.

Ι am considering maybe Ice Armor III+ or Geco Skatie (http://android.modaco.com/topic/350717-romzte-skate-skatie-by-ceco-android-235-dolby-mobile-now-available/)

Edited by monographix

Guest donarkaz

I haven't been following the ROM's scene, so as to a quick update can i ask whats the situation with ROMs at the moment ? :

Which one is recommended now, that provides full hardware functionality and is more complete? Not interested in games, interested in battery life, speed, compatibility, stability, smoothness. (apps that more interest me are GPS, wifi, 2G/3G, camera, screenshots related) . From the ones i had tested in past i liked the looks and feel of the mixmatch miui the most but it was buggy and incomplete.

I would be interested if somebody would answer his question as well guys... Thanks