NANDroid backup in a freshly de-boxed Glaxy S2

Guest wakaru

Guest wakaru

Hi,

I have been using a ZTE Blade for the last year, which has been a great experience to get into the Android world.

I have recently acquired a new Samsung Galaxy S2, and before I start tinkering with it (rooting, ICS, etc) I would like to get a nandroid backup of it, as unmodified as possible.

I'm sure the subject must have been covered before but I've tried searching but I could not find anything, so my apologies in advance.

This is just in case I have to revert it to its original condition at some stage (The phone has been supplied by my company as it is a work mobile).

Could anyone point me in the right direction please? Thanks.

Guest Androidlover287

You won't be able to take a 'nandroid' backup without first rooting the phone and installing clockwork mod.

First, find out your kernal version, for this go:

Settings--->About phone

This bit that you'll be interested in is here:

post-811669-0-50357600-1331732949_thumb.

After you have the kernel number you must go here:

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1103399

This is a thread on XDA developers that has CF rooted kernels on it

CF-root, Roots the phone aswll as installs clockwork mod which will allow you to do the 'nandroid' backup

If you require more infomation please ask me/anyone who replies to this thread after me.

Good Luck!.

P.S Sorry about the picture, i will edit my post if i find a better photo.

Guest wakaru

Thanks for the replys.

I was wondering if there was a way to take a nandroid backup before installing the CF-Root & CWM recovery, as if needed, I would like to revert the phone to its original condition (i.e. original recovery + original android ).

So if I were to install the CF-Root kernel, then install CWM recovery, and I then make a nandroid backup, this nandroid backup will contain the CWM recovery and CF-root. Right?

Is there a way to revert the phone back to its original condition? (i.e. without CF-Root and CWD recovery)

Guest Androidlover287

Thanks for the replys.

I was wondering if there was a way to take a nandroid backup before installing the CF-Root & CWM recovery, as if needed, I would like to revert the phone to its original condition (i.e. original recovery + original android ).

So if I were to install the CF-Root kernel, then install CWM recovery, and I then make a nandroid backup, this nandroid backup will contain the CWM recovery and CF-root. Right?

Is there a way to revert the phone back to its original condition? (i.e. without CF-Root and CWD recovery)

In answer to your first question, YES, when you 'NANDROID' backup it backs up your entire phone, this includes the recovery and kernel.

I will answer your second question with a question:

Is your phone unloicked? or Carrier branded?

If your phone is carrier branded like mine (on Three) then go here to get the original firmware and kernel:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1113928

If your phone is unlocked however i cannot help you.

Please make a note of the kernel version you already have as this will help you select the correct firmware/kernel.

WARNING: As you may know Rooting will VOID your phone warranty so Please be careful.

If you do this, even after flashing back to stock firmware Samsung can still tell your phone will have been flashed, as it will say in download mode (Vol down+home+power)

To resolve this issue you will need one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/UNBrick-Samsung-Galaxy-Download-Android/dp/B005922D7W

I hope i helped you, If i did leave a Thanks somehow :)

P.S I will NOT be held response able if your phone gets damaged in any way during this process.

Good Luck.

Guest wakaru

I will answer your second question with a question:

Is your phone unloicked? or Carrier branded?

Well, I've tried a SIM card from abroad (spanish - Simyo/Orange) and a UK on (T-Mobile) abd both work, so I guess it is unlocked. I cannot see any branding anywhere either (phone or software).

If you do this, even after flashing back to stock firmware Samsung can still tell your phone will have been flashed, as it will say in download mode (Vol down+home+power)

To resolve this issue you will need one of these:

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B005922D7W

Again, thanks very much for the info specially for the tip regarding the unbricking/triangle removal tool. I'll make I get one before starting to fiddle with the phone anyway.

Until then I will try to figure out if there is a way to get a Nandroid backup of the "virgin" phone.

Thanks very much again.

Guest Androidlover287

Well, I've tried a SIM card from abroad (spanish - Simyo/Orange) and a UK on (T-Mobile) abd both work, so I guess it is unlocked. I cannot see any branding anywhere either (phone or software).

Again, thanks very much for the info specially for the tip regarding the unbricking/triangle removal tool. I'll make I get one before starting to fiddle with the phone anyway.

Until then I will try to figure out if there is a way to get a Nandroid backup of the "virgin" phone.

Thanks very much again.

You are very welcome.