17 March r3: Superboot - rooting the HTC Evo 3D GSM

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

This superboot image is created after a user request for Evo 3D GSM devices. It should work on any Evo 3D GSM device with S-OFF or a HTCdev unlocked bootloader.

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• Superboot r3 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: bcbf9107e0ec3410bec661a2fc44433f

The superboot image is also 'insecure', allowing you to use 'adb remount' as well as having full ADB root access to your device until such time as you reboot after running this process (it's a non permanent ADB root as it's a 'fastboot boot' and not a 'fastboot flash').

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory

- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume down' button pressed to enter the bootloader.

- WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'

- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'

- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'

Enjoy! ;)

P

PS If you find this useful, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo subscription! Visit this topic for further details!

Guest blondejon

I was that user. After three attempt it worked beautifully and was able to use Rom Manager to get clockwork mod onto the phone. I then used quickboot app to boot into recovery. The VOLUME buttons select up and down and the CAMERA SHUTTER button seelcts.

Edited by blondejon

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Chewy11

WOW thanks Paul!

Somehow missed this when you posted it! Still loving my EVO 3D after 7 months of full time use. Only wish for it is a MCR Kitchen and more girth in the screen, but I knew the aspect ratio when I purchased it. ROMs are plenty-full for a non superstar device (LeeDr0id especially).

I am now seriously considering selling my 3D in favor of a ONE X when it comes to Canada at a reasonable price.

• 9 months later...