Connect stock non-rooted Samsung Galaxy S II to Ubuntu Linux

Guest Asselberghs

Guest Asselberghs

Hi Guys.

Do you know how to connect Samsung Galaxy S II stock but branded without root to newest Ubuntu? (11.10)

There seems to be an issue because ICS switched USB connection to something called MTP.

And now Ubuntu can´t natively it seems connect to the phone.

Oh it shows up but with alot of folders with numbers and no content or at least not the intended content. as if it´s encrypted or scrambled or something.

How do I get it to connect normally? mostly the only thing I do with it is transfer the content off of the SD card like the photos and videos I shoot with the camera.

What can I do about it? or am I doomed to boot into Windows just for the sake of my phone every time I want to transfer something?

Hope that you can help.

Thank you,

Asselberghs

Guest jusumgeezer

As a temporal fix, I have installed Airdroid app on the phone, this is an amazing must have free app, that lets you connect & transfer files via a web browser on any OS.

Many other neat features too like texting from your pc.rolleyes.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LittleGreyCat

<snip>

How do I get it to connect normally? mostly the only thing I do with it is transfer the content off of the SD card like the photos and videos I shoot with the camera.

<snip>

Just wondering why you can't put the SD card into your computer instead of using a USB connection.

[This is something concerning me about the latest generation handsets which seem to be going away from media card slots and only having onboard memory.

If you hit this kind of problem, how do you resolve it?

Exchangeable media is cheap - and exchangeable - so why stop using it?]

Cheers

LGC

Guest Gary Crutcher

Hi Guys.

Do you know how to connect Samsung Galaxy S II stock but branded without root to newest Ubuntu? (11.10)

There seems to be an issue because ICS switched USB connection to something called MTP.

And now Ubuntu can´t natively it seems connect to the phone.

Oh it shows up but with alot of folders with numbers and no content or at least not the intended content. as if it´s encrypted or scrambled or something.

What can I do about it? or am I doomed to boot into Windows just for the sake of my phone every time I want to transfer something?

Hope that you can help.

Thank you,

Asselberghs

Try this link: [How to] Connect your Android Ice Cream Sandwich Phone to Ubuntu for File Access

Guest LittleGreyCat

Gary,

thanks for that.

It suggests that the only design reason for having SD slots is to allow the use of USB Mass Storage.

O.K. as far as it goes, and I understand the frustration of having one full partition and one half empty partition.

Nevertheless an SD slot does allow flexible expansion of storage, and given the total cost of these handsets the saving on the SD slot support cannot be that great compared to the additional flexibility.

So why not have more internal RAM and also an SD slot?

Hmmm....I was looking at an S2 yesterday, and trying to decide if I should get one after the S 3 launch or hang on for a few months until the S3 price drops a bit, and I did note that the SD card slot was not easily accessible.

So perhaps the designers did only envisage using these as externally addressable memory?

If so it presumably must have been cheaper than fitting a larger fixed RAM and then partitioning it.

Still not fully convinced by the theory.

What do you do if you want to for example keep a load of maps on the phone because you are going abroad and don't want to pay massive roaming charges to download from Google Maps?

In my limited experience of computing devices I have always managed to fill up the available storage eventually so an expansion capability is always useful.

Cheers

LGC

P.S. interesting Linux explanation which is screaming out for a little PERL scripting.

Guest Gary Crutcher

Gary,

thanks for that.

It suggests that the only design reason for having SD slots is to allow the use of USB Mass Storage.

O.K. as far as it goes, and I understand the frustration of having one full partition and one half empty partition.

Nevertheless an SD slot does allow flexible expansion of storage, and given the total cost of these handsets the saving on the SD slot support cannot be that great compared to the additional flexibility.

So why not have more internal RAM and also an SD slot?

Hmmm....I was looking at an S2 yesterday, and trying to decide if I should get one after the S 3 launch or hang on for a few months until the S3 price drops a bit, and I did note that the SD card slot was not easily accessible.

So perhaps the designers did only envisage using these as externally addressable memory?

If so it presumably must have been cheaper than fitting a larger fixed RAM and then partitioning it.

Still not fully convinced by the theory.

What do you do if you want to for example keep a load of maps on the phone because you are going abroad and don't want to pay massive roaming charges to download from Google Maps?

In my limited experience of computing devices I have always managed to fill up the available storage eventually so an expansion capability is always useful.

Cheers

LGC

P.S. interesting Linux explanation which is screaming out for a little PERL scripting.

Just tried this and is does work...thank God!!!! tongue.gif

Guest Gary Crutcher

Here is another way. Got this from another forum and it works.

"I struggled for a bit with the Samsung Galaxy as well, but got it working.

Make a file called “91-android.rules” and put the following in it:

SUBSYSTEM==”usb”, ATTRS{idVendor}==”04e8", SYMLINK+=”android_adb”, MODE=”0666", OWNER=”your_user_name”

Then restart udev (sudo restart udev) and adb. You might have to disconnect and reconnect the phone to the USB. "

Now I can use adb to pull/push files and use adb shell.

Galaxy S2 and Ubuntu 11.10

Edited by Gary Crutcher