Latest OS for Advent Vega - idiot's guide

Guest JennieS

Guest JennieS

Hi Guys, I still have one of the first mods from 2010, and now stuff like Angry Birds won't load.

Is there a real easy step-by-step guide to (downloading and) loading the latest OS?

I see bits and bobs throughout the forums, but can't find an all-in-one idiot's guide.

Thanks

Guest boffboff

Hi Guys, I still have one of the first mods from 2010, and now stuff like Angry Birds won't load.

Is there a real easy step-by-step guide to (downloading and) loading the latest OS?

I see bits and bobs throughout the forums, but can't find an all-in-one idiot's guide.

Thanks

Hi, if you're already running a non-standard ROM (OS), then you probably already have CWM (ClockWorkMod) installed with it. So you'll just need a ROM that is flashed (installed) via CWM. They normally come as .zip files, they need to be copied onto the SD card in your tablet and flashed with CWM.

The two latest ones that I know of are HoneyIce and VEGA ICS.

HoneyIce is VegaComb (A custom Honeycomb (Android 3.x) ROM) with some ICS additions - I think.

VEGA ICS is more of a true ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.x)) experience as this is what the custom ROM is based on.

Do a search for CWM to see how to use it, then do a search for both of the custom ROMs I mentioned above and see which you prefer.

Hope this helps!

Boff

Guest JennieS

Hi Boff

I did load the non-standard in 2010, but I can't remember how to do it again. and my mind is not what it was then

Searching for CWM confused me. I guess the latest Andriod 4 is the way forward - but I really would appreciate an easy step by step idiot's guide on which files to download, and how when on my SD card (which I can do at least) to install it to the Vega

Guest GedBlake

Thanks

Hi, JennieS...

Well... you have two options really...

The very latest is VegaICS Beta1 ... based on IceCreamSandwich (Android 4), but as it's still in beta, it can be a bit unstable.

It's available here http://www.tabletroms.com/forums/vega-rom-development/3817-%5Brom%5D-vegaics-beta1.html

A more established, and stable ROM is HoneyIce Chimera... based on HoneyComb (Android 3).

It's available here http://www.tabletroms.com/forums/vega-rom-development/3084-%5Brom%5D-honey-ice.html

The method of installation for both is nvFlash.

Here is a quick guide...

If you haven't already done so, you will need to install the Windows USB System driver ( available here http://www.myadventvega.co.uk under downloads ).

Download and EXTRACT it a folder on your PC (eg. C:/ADVENT)

Connect your Vega to your PC, via a USB cable.

Connect your Vega to the mains, via the charger.

On the Vega, effect a FORCED POWERDOWN by long pressing (6 seconds) the POWERBUTTON.

Now to enter nvFLASH RECOVERY MODE...

Press and hold the BACKBUTTON for 2 seconds

Still holding the BACKBUTTON, press the POWERBUTTON for 2 seconds

...and release...

But continue to hold the BACKBUTTON for a further 2 seconds.

Upon successful completion of this key press sequence, your PC will either direct you to install the USB System driver (in which case, point it to the folder as detailed above)...

...or it will 'ping' the 'found new hardware sound'

Now, on your PC, you can double click on the ROM of your choice.

Press RUN from the proffered dialogue box... it will begin extracting...

After this, your PC will initiate the nvFlash process and you may see the Advent Vegas screen illuminate with the message

"Entering nvflash recovery / nv3p server".

DO NOT UNPLUG ANYTHING... let it do its thing - it will only take about 45 seconds.

Press ENTER when complete... your PC will tell you when (in the DOS box)... allow a few seconds more for Windows to disconnect from the tablet...

Physically disconnect the Vega from its twin umbilicals of power and data... long press the power button... and...

... and if everything has gone according to plan, you should boot into either HoneyIceChimera or VegaICS.

GED.

edit: Just remembered something (and I always forget this)... before doing any of the above, it's recommended that you backup your SD card, and then format it.

Edited by GedBlake

Guest JennieS

Hi, I went for HoneyIce Chimera

I'm doing something wrong though

The Vega says USB mass storage

The DOS window ends with USB not found press enter to continue

I've tried it several times. Windows sound pings on and off.

Guest GedBlake

Hi, I went for HoneyIce Chimera

I'm doing something wrong though

The Vega says USB mass storage

The DOS window ends with USB not found press enter to continue

I've tried it several times. Windows sound pings on and off.

You shouldn't be seeing anything on the Vega...

The Vega should be totally powered down before you start the nvFlash process... ie, not in standby.

GED.

Edited by GedBlake

Guest JennieS

The Vega should be totally powered down before you start the nvFlash process... ie, not in standby.

GED.

I do the 6 seconds or so to get it to completely power off, but when I do the 2 second, 2 second, 2 second the pc pings on and off quickly and then the Vega gives the option to turn USB storage on. Is there a way to power it down further?

Guest GedBlake

No, what's happening is, you haven't got the timing right...

The 2 second hold on the BACKBUTTON blocks the normal effect of the POWERBUTTON (ie. switching on the Vega).

Getting the timing right can be a proverbial pain in the butt!

Lean on the BACKBUTTON for slightly longer than 2 seconds before you press the POWERBUTTON...

But the Vega MUST be powered down, or otherwise (as you have discovered) it will go into USB mass storage mode.

It took me many attempts on my Vega, before I got it... now it's just instinctive.

Persevere, and you'll get there.

GED.

Edited by GedBlake

Guest JennieS

No, what's happening is, you haven't got the timing right...

The 2 second hold on the BACKBUTTON blocks the normal effect of the POWERBUTTON (ie. switching on the Vega).

Getting the timing right can be a proverbial pain in the butt!

Lean on the BACKBUTTON for slightly longer than 2 seconds before you press the POWERBUTTON...

But the Vega MUST be powered down, or otherwise (as you have discovered) it will go into USB mass storage mode.

It took me many attempts on my Vega, before I got it... now it's just instinctive.

Persevere, and you'll get there.

GED.

I'm not gettting the usb storage screen now, so that's progress,

The pc pings 'on' with a blank vega screen but before the extraction is complete it pings 'off'', and then I get the same error message on the pc

Searching around I found something called AUDI - will that help?

Guest GedBlake

I'm not gettting the usb storage screen now, so that's progress,

The pc pings 'on' with a blank vega screen but before the extraction is complete it pings 'off'', and then I get the same error message on the pc

Searching around I found something called AUDI - will that help?

The 'pinging' off during extraction sounds like your USB cable isn't properly connected or seated securely in either your PC's USB socket or your Vega's USB socket.

If the PC can't 'find' the Vega due to a bad connection, then you will get the error message you mention.

Try another USB cable (if you have one), or try another USB port on your PC (I have 3 on mine) - either way, make sure the connection is good and well seated securely in both sockets.

When I nvFlash a ROM, I am very carefull not nudge or knock the USB cable... as I have had this problem myself.

AUDI is just a different way of installing the USB system driver, and won't help you if you have a bad USB connection.

GED.

Edited by GedBlake

Guest JennieS

The 'pinging' off during extraction sounds like your USB cable isn't properly connected or seated securely in either your PC's USB socket or your Vega's USB socket.

If the PC can't 'find' the Vega due to a bad connection, then you will get the error message you mention.

Try another USB cable (if you have one), or try another USB port on your PC (I have 3 on mine) - either way, make sure the connection is good and well seated securely in both sockets.

When I nvFlash a ROM, I am very carefull not nudge or knock the USB cable... as I have had this problem myself.

AUDI is just a different way of installing the USB system driver, and won't help you if you have a bad USB connection.

GED.

Hi Ged, thanks for your patience. I tried over and over. Evenutally I reinstalled the driver via device manager on the pc and either that worked or I was lucky with the key pressing combination.

The new Android started with Google marketplace, and I downloaded a new Angry Birds (very important), but then it changed to Google Play and goes to force close every time I try to use it. Do I need other updates as well as the Android? I see R8 and kitchen on this site??

Guest GedBlake

Hi Ged, thanks for your patience. I tried over and over. Evenutally I reinstalled the driver via device manager on the pc and either that worked or I was lucky with the key pressing combination.

The new Android started with Google marketplace, and I downloaded a new Angry Birds (very important), but then it changed to Google Play and goes to force close every time I try to use it. Do I need other updates as well as the Android? I see R8 and kitchen on this site??

Yes, this does seem to happen when Market updates itself to PlayStore... I never had this problem myself when I was running HoneyIce - the transition was seamless, but many others have reported it.

The solution appears to be as follows...

Go to -

-Settings...

--Applications...

---Manage Applications...

Click the ALL tab and scroll down to Google Play Store...

Press ENTER and then press the CLEAR DATA button.

Reboot your Vega.

-----------

At some point, you are also going to run into the -101 Market/Google Talk error that seems to afflict HoneyIce Chimera.

When it happens, do the following:

As before, go to-

-Settings..

--Applications..

---Manage Applications..

Click the ALL tab and scroll down to GOOGLE SERVICES FRAMEWORK.

Reboot your Vega.

-Back to Settings...

--Accounts & Sync...

---Highlight your Google account & delete.

Re-enter your Google account details.

This fix worked for me when I was running HoneyIce Chimera (before I flashed VegaICS)... if it doesn't work for you, then post back here; there is a variation involving clearing out Dalvik Cache in ClockWorkMod recovery.

GED.

Edited by GedBlake

Guest JennieS

Yes, this does seem to happen when Market updates itself to PlayStore... I never had this problem myself when I was running HoneyIce - the transition was seamless, but many others have reported it.

The solution appears to be as follows...

Go to -

-Settings...

--Applications...

---Manage Applications...

Click the ALL tab and scroll down to Google Play Store...

Reboot your Vega.

-----------

At some point, you are also going to run into the -101 Market/Google Talk error that seems to afflict HoneyIce Chimera.

When it happens, do the following:

As before, go to-

-Settings..

--Applications..

---Manage Applications..

Click the ALL tab and scroll down to GOOGLE SERVICES FRAMEWORK.

Reboot your Vega.

-Back to Settings...

--Accounts & Sync...

---Highlight your Google account & delete.

Re-enter your Google account details.

This fix worked for me when I was running HoneyIce Chimera (before I flashed VegaICS)... if it doesn't work for you, then post back here; there is a variation involving clearing out Dalvik Cache in ClockWorkMod recovery.

GED.

Thank you so much for your help - its up and running now

My only problem is that whenever I reboot the Vega, it loses my wifi - and (unlike on my earlier android version) - I have to broadcast the network name on the router every time I want to get online with the Vega. Is there a way round that?

Guest GedBlake

Hi, JennieS ...

Sorry, but I can't help you with the wifi issue - in the two months I ran HoneyIce Chimera I never had any wifi related issues, but I would suspect your problem is at your router end and not at the HoneyIce end.

Anyway, I have posted your question/problem on the HoneyIce thread over at TabletRoms, so hopefully somebody more knowledgeable concerning wifi problems will be able to help.

GED.

Guest GedBlake

Hi, JennieS...

Some feedback from TabletRoms...

----------

Dibbles seems to think your wifi issue could be SSID related...

"... some devices don't seem to be able to identify and connect to a wireless network if the user decides to untick the option to broadcast the SSID. Some think that it adds another layer to the security but if they are suitably encrypted with WPA that is suffice..."

- Dibbles-

----------

LeoP adds to that with this post...

"If a Wireless access point does not broadcast the SSID ("Network name" in home router-speak), you will not be able to "see" the network if the device scans for available networks. This implies 2 consequences:

- To first join the network you need to know its SSID.

- To rejoin the network you need to actively try (=send), simply listening won't help.

Many implementations chose not to actively try and connect to stored hidden networks, especially if they rely on a battery for juice (Desktop implementations most often do try). So try going to WiFi Settings, then actively connecting to the stored hidden network or simply broadcast your SSID - the security gained by hiding it won't stop anyone."

- LeoP -

----------

Hope this helps and gives you some pointers in the right direction.

Anyway, keep an eye on http://www.tabletroms.com/forums/vega-rom-development/3084-%5Brom%5D-honey-ice-746.html for further possible responses to the question I posted on your behalf.

If you don't already have posting privileges over at TabletRoms, you should think about registering... there are a lot of good people there who may be able to help you out with this... and anything else that might crop up in the future.

In the meantime enjoy Angry Birds Space and the new Rio update.

GED.

Edited by GedBlake

• 4 weeks later...
Guest SageDesign

My thanks to Gedblake - I followed these instructions, both to install HoneyIce and to fix the Google access problems - all worked nicely and my Vega is now running well.