HTC One X Review

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest twins.7

I agree with "It’s still a big phone ".

I have message their facebook page :D, but they said "Please send the message to developer page".

I dunno, why they said big is good, it's too wide. it look like I speak with a big box. iPhone and Xperia is the one which has nice phone dimension. And I hope HTC change their design in next release.

If you follow the HTC phone roll-out, you can define if all their phones have similar design. It's sooooo boring. it's not a phone, it's a big box with android inside.

HTC will lost their market share if they continue this.....

Guest Ste_B
I agree with "It’s still a big phone ".

I have message their facebook page , but they said "Please send the message to developer page".

I dunno, why they said big is good, it's too wide. it look like I speak with a big box. iPhone and Xperia is the one which has nice phone dimension. And I hope HTC change their design in next release.

If you follow the HTC phone roll-out, you can define if all their phones have similar design. It's sooooo boring. it's not a phone, it's a big box with android inside.

HTC will lost their market share if they continue this.....

Couldn't disagree more! Although I haven't got mine yet, this series of phones is like a breath of fresh air, design wise. I think the One X looks fantastic from all angles.

Guest gravy1

It's a good review but its not for me... manufacturers are so busy trying to compete between themselves over superficial points they are ignoring practicality. Desperately chasing the "title" of "the worlds thinnest mobile" is ruining mobile advancement. At work I cannot move without tripping over a charger lead every few yards so the word "mobile" rarely is warranted by most phones nowadays and to be considered mobile in my opinion it must last a day with average use and any phone without an extended battery simply cannot manage that. Therefore fixed battery is an instant failure to anyone who actually wants to use a phone rather than admire it while it's charging. Also no sd card slot ??? I keep my films and music on my cards and that also alone is an instant deal breaker. If HTC wants to sell "mobile" phones in large volumes they simply have to produce one with a large enough battery and say "yes it's 3 mm thicker than the phone your friends have now, but when they're looking for a power socket and have to carry a charger around all day..... you'll still be using this phone!"

I think the spiralling descent into aesthetics will not stop until either someone invents a wafer thin phone with a battery life of 10 minutes or someone gets smart... nothing wrong with a fixed battery providing it's 3500 Mah but in such a small current size, stating that it "sips" power while you DON'T use it only points out that we've reached a stage that we're happy to boast about the features our phones have but we cannot really use them.....

Nice phone, serious flaws......

Guest Fellwalker

I agree with gravy1. I want a phone I can use a lot for many different things without worrying if I need a recharge. On my HTC HD2 (shame about windows 6.5 with its few Mb of RAM) it has a stand by time of days, but if I use it, I get a day or a bit longer out of it. If I try to use the GPS for satnav, it had better be plugged in, otherwise I will lose it in 2 or 3 hours. THINKS: I could NOT use the One X in my car, as my holder grips from the sides, just where the One X's power in is situated. Why oh why do they not put all the sockets on the same side. For me the bottom, rather than the top, so it dangles rather than drags or tries to pull out or distort the port. Aha - they want me to buy the expensive HTC car kit! If it is like the one they offered for the HD2 it was about 20% of the price of the phone!

Has anyone yet produced a micro usb flash memory stick? If not, why not?

Guest Fellwalker

Just read this on the modaco site:

The RAZR MAXX is a version of the original (Droid) RAZR that is nearly identical in all aspects, apart from the inclusion of a preposterous 3300mAh battery. The growth in battery size has bumped the handset up to 8.99mm from the original’s incredibly svelte 7.1, but that’s a small price to pay for almost double the battery life. Factor in that the European version won’t feature LTE and I’d almost expect this thing to run for decades off a charge.

Must look further...

Guest zanzzan

After 5 days I love this phone. It actually works really well as a phone compared to my SGS2, as a PDA is excellent and the screen is fantastic.

Guest ozzybulldog

Thanks again for a great review! My biggest cons on this phone and the Sony Xperia S are not having a micro SD card slot and the fixed battery. This makes the use of custom roms and themes more risky I think, but this could just be me to much hanging on to the old ways of loading custom roms and themes...

Oz

Guest licenced

Nice review thanks Paul.

With regards to using the standard ICS functionality to 'disable' apps, I'm a little disappointed that this doesn't extend to everything - the option seems unavailable for things like Locations and Show Me and I can't find a discrete app for Mirror to even think about disabling it.

Any ideas on how to get around this? Rooting and removal I guess.

Dave

Guest gravy1

WOW thanks Fellwalker that's a good find.... the razr maxx could be the breakthrough into common sense making it the first real "smart" phone. Half of my friends, I do not call after 3 pm as I know they have depleted batteries... a few always carry an additional battery and 1 has an extended 3500 Mah battery and one uses an old (non smart) nokia that needs charging once a week. So hopefully other manufacturers will follow suit.... at present smart phones have been like sportscars where they've been making the boot bigger by making the petrol tank smaller and the HTC one X is like a ferrari with a one gallon tank.... looks great, full of wonderful gadgets, ability and power but can only go 10 miles without stopping for fuel... beautiful but completely impractical in the real world but the Razr Maxx .... anyone who doesn't feel the need to boast about the latest fashion but wants a smart mobile to do exactly what it is supposed to do.... that is the one.

Guest Sanukk

This phone annoys me so much, they come out with something fantastic, then balls it up with a fixed battery! What the hell were they thinking? My quest for a new phone continues.

Guest amaya

Hello again Paul, sorry if I repeat the question.

Does the camera lens touches the surface if you put on a table with risk for scratches?

Or has flanges for no contact?

Thanx ;)

Edited by amaya

Guest ascot17

Paul,

Many thanks for a great review!

As someone who has had some serious hands-on time with the One X and One S, may I ask which do you prefer?

I am intending to upgrade to one of these next week - I just can't decide which one!

Guest Confucious

I'm kinda in the same boat. I love the size and construction of the S but not the screen!

P

The screen on the One S is fine for most people who haven't seen better, but you have been spoiled by the X - Engadget have done a good comparison of the S and X. Both are very good devices.

Guest fredchia123

Hi Paul,

I went down to one of the HTC shops to play with ONE X and I noted these belowmentioned points which I clarified with the salesperson.

1) The glass @ the back protecting the camera is not scratch proof nor Corning Goriila Glass.

2) The standalone GPS (or Maps) does not have any voice commands, ie, they are not really like a normal GPS system which will tell u to turn right or left in how many metres, etc. It is just similar to an offline street directory.

3) When doing a panaroma shoot, it is limited to only 5 frames, and we have to "align the line or arrow within the box" before we can shoot the panaroma shot. Does it mean that we cannot shoot @ 45 degress upwards/downwards (for eg), and anything more than 5 frames we will have to 'stitch' ourselves? Cos sometimes if we are are a top of a mountain and we see a scenic view, we will definitely use more than 5 frames to do a panaromic shot.

4) The phone is shock resistance and can withstand dropping on from heights. The salesperson even dropped the phone a few times to try to prove to me this point.

5) It is a quad-core, and it comes with a 5th core for battery saving. This sounds stupid as I think I read somewhere that it uses 3 cores for normal functions & the 4th core for battery saving. Just need some clarification.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Regards,

Frederick Chia

Guest Confucious

Not sure about the Panorama photos but the One X is the first phone with NVIDIA's quad-core Tegra 3 chip, offering four cores running at 1.5GHz and an additional "PLUS-1" core that functions at reduced clock speeds in an effort to preserve battery life.

Guest ascot17

I'm kinda in the same boat. I love the size and construction of the S but not the screen!

P

Managed to find both phones in a shop on Friday.

I am going with the One S next week for the simple reason that it can comfortably be used one-handed. The One X is just too wide to feel comfortable in the hand.

Guest PaulOBrien

The screen on the One S is fine for most people who haven't seen better, but you have been spoiled by the X - Engadget have done a good comparison of the S and X. Both are very good devices.

I disagree. The S screen has noticeable fuzz on text due to the pentile matrix regardless of what you've used before.

P

Guest Profit2U

Hi Paul, great review. I own a One X now and coming from an Iphone4 I learned a lot of new Android ICS features from your review.

I have 1 questions: in your review in the mail appp you write "Thankfully, the stock ICS app can be easily installed without any ROM hacking to allow the best of both worlds.

Were can I find/download the stock ICS mail app?

From the Play Store maybe?

If so, what is its name?

Thanks!

FredK.

Guest Paul77
Hi Paul, great review. I own a One X now and coming from an Iphone4 I learned a lot of new Android ICS features from your review.

I have 1 questions: in your review in the mail appp you write "Thankfully, the stock ICS app can be easily installed without any ROM hacking to allow the best of both worlds.

Were can I find/download the stock ICS mail app?

From the Play Store maybe?

If so, what is its name?

Thanks!

FredK.

Here.....http://android.modaco.com/topic/352991-as-mentioned-in-the-review-stock-ics-e-mail-client-and-movie-editor-for-the-one-x/

Guest s.izeman

I have heard that many one x phones are "dead on arrival". One of three has been sent back from the shop I asked (The phone house). Regarding Samsung Galaxy s2 they said that not a single guaranty report has been done. Is One X a "bad" phone?? The DOA's has been hardware issues, not software.

Guest fredchia123

Hi Paul,

Can you please advise on the following?

1) The glass @ the back protecting the camera is not scratch proof nor Corning Goriila Glass.

2) The standalone GPS (or Maps) does not have any voice commands, ie, they are not really like a normal GPS system which will tell u to turn right or left in how many metres, etc. It is just similar to an offline street directory.

3) When doing a panaroma shoot, it is limited to only 5 frames, and we have to "align the line or arrow within the box" before we can shoot the panaroma shot. Does it mean that we cannot shoot @ 45 degress upwards/downwards (for eg), and anything more than 5 frames we will have to 'stitch' ourselves? Cos sometimes if we are are a top of a mountain and we see a scenic view, we will definitely use more than 5 frames to do a panaromic shot.

4) The phone is shock resistance and can withstand dropping on from heights. The salesperson even dropped the phone a few times to try to prove to me this point.

5) It is a quad-core, and it comes with a 5th core for battery saving. This sounds stupid as I think I read somewhere that it uses 3 cores for normal functions & the 4th core for battery saving. Just need some clarification.

Thanks.