Underwhelmed by it

Guest Arthur Hucksake

Guest Arthur Hucksake

]Bit gutted right now.

Had the One X since yesterday and for what is a purely amazing phone, the battery life is ruining the experience of owning the device. It is just so poor it's unreal.

I rang HTC about the issue and they got me to setup a test.

Charge to 100% , set phone to airplane mode. Change brightness to maximum and then disable screen off time. (Change to always on) and just let the phone sit for 30 minutes. If the battery then shows under 85%, they say there is a hardware fault.

Well, I had 90% after that. So it's not a hardware issue according to them.

With only Gmail syncing, other notifications disabled my phone is currently sat on this..... see attached(after the test included)

post-653351-0-46211100-1333649333_thumb.

Edited by Arthur Hucksake

Guest PaulOBrien

Maximum brightness and screen always on is going to suck the battery no?

Have you checked something like betterbatterystats to see where your juice is going?

P

Guest Arthur Hucksake

Maximum brightness and screen always on is going to suck the battery no?

Have you checked something like betterbatterystats to see where your juice is going?

P

Did HTC's test of charging full, 100% brightness, screen never time out only drained 10% in 30 minutes so it isn't actually the screen causing the drain.

It's something else at fault somewhere.

Notice the phone often gets really hot not doing too much, I think there's a problem with the Tegra 3 somewhere.

I got intouch with HTC about reviewers getting access to an OTA update but they said it basically doesn't exist and I was mistaken. LOL

Other issues I have, got some weird glitching in the top notification bar (top left) which had a small amount of garbled text with each screen scroll.

I then added the messages widget to home screen and it crashed the phone, it powered off. When I turned it back on I just got a prompt to send HTC an error report.

Not impressed at all.

Guest Arthur Hucksake

In settings>battery what does it say is using the most juice?

The screen, but I only have it at like 30%.

I only put it at 100% for this test.

I've filled out a ticket for Handtec and will call them after the bank holiday, phone is going back.

Today without much use on the third battery cycle I will be lucky to get 8hrs total with 3hrs on screen time. Simply not good enough for a £500 phone.

Guest hecatae

Sounds like a manufacturing defect. Id get it replaced, might been a loose cable but not worth opening it and losing warranty if its not

Guest darealhibachi

I fail to see how you can judge the phone objectively when you clearly have a faulty unit... As others have said, have it replaced with the quickness...

Guest Arthur Hucksake

I fail to see how you can judge the phone objectively when you clearly have a faulty unit... As others have said, have it replaced with the quickness...

Unfortunately, it isn't faulty.

It has improved a little but not drastically. If it is a fault, it's a very common one.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1579392

The test HTC setup to define a fault, the phone passed and others also got the same results as me. I can only imagine it's the software version 1.26 that is the culprit.

Here are my usage stats from yesterday.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5836066/2012-04-06_22-32-06.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5836066/2012-04-06_22-32-13.png

This is good as it gets until we get the update.

Edited by Arthur Hucksake

Guest lukeyboymac

Unfortunately, it isn't faulty.

It has improved a little but not drastically. If it is a fault, it's a very common one.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1579392

The test HTC setup to define a fault, the phone passed and others also got the same results as me. I can only imagine it's the software version 1.26 that is the culprit.

Here are my usage stats from yesterday.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5836066/2012-04-06_22-32-06.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5836066/2012-04-06_22-32-13.png

This is good as it gets until we get the update.

Yup, I'm with you Arthur. The battery life is amazing with the screen off. I can listen to music and it drains so slowly. The minute I turn the screen off the juice just goes. Lucky if I get 3 hours screen time.

Makes me want to give up this amazing phone for a razr maxx or a nexus with the ugly extended battery. Useability is more important than how quick/nice it looks.

Guest darealhibachi

Well, it's probably my phone then... While the battery is not the best, it'll last me through the day on above average usage and about 4 hour screen time... About as much my old Desire...

If the new update can improve on that, I'd be even more pleased...

Guest Arthur Hucksake

Well, it's probably my phone then... While the battery is not the best, it'll last me through the day on above average usage and about 4 hour screen time... About as much my old Desire...

If the new update can improve on that, I'd be even more pleased...

4hr screen time is a pipe dream atm. :-(

Guest viskas

it's quite strange what happens to your phone...

i have been using my one x for a week now and I have to say that battery life is amazing. the only real problem is the consumption of the screen.

So there's a battery drain only when you do things like watching a movie or playing games, while with normal use for text, phone calls and so on the battery life is very good.

Guest lukeyboymac

I suppose everyone's usage varies but my acid test today was going to football. I've been out the house 12 hours and have listened to a lot of music whilst sitting on a train. I took my portable battery just in case (good job). phone lasted less than 3hrs on screen time today. For my needs that's not enough and I HATE carrying a portable charger with me. Will be taking it back as I need more than that.

Let's hope Samsung keep their promise with the all day battery. Really don't want the underspeced razr maxx but it might just hit the spot.

How I'm going to miss the one x screen *sob*

Guest buckofive

First off, it is too be expected that if you are using the screen constantly and at high contrast you will have rapid battery drain, but I find your case to be a bit extreme. I've been using my One X for close to a week now and I am really impressed at how little power is used while in standby. The Tegra 3 does a great job at intelligently managing consumption while not in use; I've forgotten to charge it over night and been pleasantly surprised to still have power left in the morning when I wake up.

There are things that you can do to improve battery life even while using the screen. Naturally, the very obvious things of disabling GPS, Bluetooth and NFC when not actively using those services. I always try to connect to WiFi instead of HSDPA for data connection as that gives me close to 20% more battery life. I've been pleasantly surprised with the Smart Sync feature of Sense 4.0 that polls for mail messages less frequently. Reducing contrast is another good way to squeeze a bit more power out. Consider using an app like Screebl that will let you set your screen timeout to 15 seconds, but prevent it from sleeping while being used. Also, consider disabling the haptic feedback for keypress while you type.

In general I am very impressed with the HTC One X - not just for the hardware, but Sense 4.0 really reminds me why I love HTC.

Guest Arthur Hucksake

The plot thickens.

Have a butchers at this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5836066/2012-04-10_22-00-45.png

Shows that bluetooth has been on all day. Well, I have not used bluetooth a single time since I had the phone.

If Better Battery Stats is correct, then something is seriously wrong with the software. If bluetooth is enabled in the background, it's not surprising battery life isn't so great.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest djmcnz

The plot thickens.

Have a butchers at this.

http://dl.dropbox.co...10_22-00-45.png

Shows that bluetooth has been on all day. Well, I have not used bluetooth a single time since I had the phone.

If Better Battery Stats is correct, then something is seriously wrong with the software. If bluetooth is enabled in the background, it's not surprising battery life isn't so great.

That's a largely irrelevant stat, do you know what you're looking for? Partial wakelocks.

Your last posted screenshots also look fine as far as battery goes, what are you hoping for in terms of use?

9 or 10 hours with over 3 hours of screen on is within common expectations.

Guest Pixeled

Have to say, perhaps it is in idea to change topic title to "Underwhelmed by battery performance" instead of "it", since it is not the device as a whole your are unsatisfied with, am I right? I mean, is the phone responsive? quick? How is the screen (that is sucking the life of the phone unlike anything, I agree!)? How is call quality? Camera? Etc. You get my point :)

The topic title is misleading. I would have expected a list of things that cause you to find the phone "underwhelming" in general, but instead you are dissapointed by batter life only.

Guest hassand

I actually am pleased with the battery performance of the phone. If you dont do anything that requires all the cores of CPU it doesnt really drop. When I play 3d games yes it drains the battery and heats up the phone, but other than that everything is fine. I end up with like at least 30% of battery left at the end of the day with navigation use, 3g, bluetooth and gps always on, something like an hour talk-time on the phone and games like where's my water, zen pinball thd, cut the rope and such when im free. It is 15:55 here at the moment, i took the phone off the charger at around 8:00 or so, and i have 64% left. Not really worse than my desire