[ICS] [CM9] [4.0.4] CyanogenMod 9 for the ZTE Crescent [ROM] [Last updated: 13/07]

Guest Dazzozo

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

I always wipe data, cache, dalvik cache and system before flashing. I'm guessing that's getting rid of absolutely everything and starting again?

We're not talking about flashing a rom though. Also, you should wipe your boot and system partitions before flashing a rom, specially if it's a different release.

Guest adroc

blank navigator or messaging happen from time to times here too . It has been that way since the first day.

Sometimes I can "revive" them simply by changing screen orientation.

Actually its not a big deal ! the rom is great even with this little glitch

Guest Dazzozo

Daz, is your upcoming build to fix the TMV home button (if it works)?

It'd be the best fix ever :D

-Ninjeh.

Doesn't solely fix that, it also resolves a couple of issues in sleeping, adds a baseband version (I'll put the TMO specific one in the kernel patcher the next time I update the kernel), and adds the 180k APN list. It's resynced with CyanogenMod just before I started building, so if there's been any fixes upstream we'll pull them too.

Guest RedZombie

We're not talking about flashing a rom though. Also, you should wipe your boot and system partitions before flashing a rom, specially if it's a different release.

OK, I haven't ever wiped boot, don't know why not tbh. So should I regularly wipe caches once ROM is installed, in normal use? If so, how often and is there something that will do this automatically or do I do it myself in CWM? Sorry if that's a really stupid question.... :/

Guest NinjehKitteh

Doesn't solely fix that, it also resolves a couple of issues in sleeping, adds a baseband version (I'll put the TMO specific one in the kernel patcher the next time I update the kernel), and adds the 180k APN list. It's resynced with CyanogenMod just before I started building, so if there's been any fixes upstream we'll pull them too.

Great :D Would that mean sleeping could also use less battery life after you've updated?

-Ninjeh.

Guest Dazzozo

Great :D Would that mean sleeping could also use less battery life after you've updated?

-Ninjeh.

Well yeah, the device will actually go to sleep now instead of leaving some Wi-Fi component on.

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

OK, I haven't ever wiped boot, don't know why not tbh. So should I regularly wipe caches once ROM is installed, in normal use? If so, how often and is there something that will do this automatically or do I do it myself in CWM? Sorry if that's a really stupid question.... :/

No, If you're updating a version of the same rom (i.e. FishnChips RLS4 to RLS5 say) then you should only need to wipe the cache partitions, cos they are the "memory" and hold the values of different variables, the contents of the other partitions would be replaced by flashing the rom itself. Although if you didn't wipe the caches you would keep all your apps along with all their settings but it could cause some problems if you don't. Safer to wipe.

If you're replacing a rom with another rom (say replacing FnC5 with CM9) then they are completely different roms so you should wipe everything first, boot partition, system partition, data cache, dalvik cache, all of em, even battery stats for good measure, so you can see the battery performance of your new rom.

To be honest, if you use Titanium Backup then you can pretty much clear everything any time you flash a rom and just use Titanium to restore your apps.

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest RedZombie

No, If you're updating a version of the same rom (i.e. FishnChips RLS4 to RLS5 say) then you should only need to wipe the cache partitions, cos they are the "memory" and hold the values of different variables, the contents of the other partitions would be replaced by flashing the rom itself. Although if you didn't wipe the caches you would keep all your apps along with all their settings but it could cause some problems if you don't. Safer to wipe.

If you're replacing a rom with another rom (say replacing FnC5 with CM9) then they are completely different roms so you should wipe everything first, boot partition, system partition, data cache, dalvik cache, all of em, even battery stats for good measure, so you can see the battery performance of your new rom.

To be honest, if you use Titanium Backup then you can pretty much clear everything any time you flash a rom and just use Titanium to restore your apps.

Thanks dude, that's very helpful :)

Guest fr0do

I found that when changing to different roms a single wipe wasn't enough. Perhaps I had a bad file stuck or something. I tried re-doing the wipes and that seemed to cure it. I'd het all sorts of odd things happenning, and this solved it.

Guest RedZombie

Right, wiped and formatted and cleared and disinfected everything I could find to do so! Will wait for tonight's build and start fresh!

Guest RedZombie

Cool. The Phone app doesn't build from source anymore. Yay CyanogenMod!

Edit: What a divot. https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_packages_apps_Phone/commit/d95f07c83fb9522e94ef13b010f97eb625401835

Edit 2: Reverted the commit. Surprise! It builds.

How I wish I understood what was happening! :P

Will have to spend some time learning I feel...

Guest Dazzozo

Looks like I need to change the build process for next time.

Hd1yLv.png

;)

Edit: Won't actually make a difference for now, of course. It would compile the same thing that's already prebuilt.

Edit 2: The problem with this is, whoever made that change, assumed a device only needs a single kernel when this isn't true for us. We need two.

Edited by Dazzozo

Guest Titas

I have a strong feeling that this is all going to work out just fine.......... (but I'd still like someone who knows what the hell's going on to confirm that this is not just my irrepressible optimism misleading me again wink.gif)

Looks like I need to change the build process for next time.

Hd1yLv.png

;)

Edit: Won't actually make a difference for now, of course. It would compile the same thing that's already prebuilt.

Edit 2: The problem with this is, whoever made that change, assumed a device only needs a single kernel when this isn't true for us. We need two.

Guest NinjehKitteh

This build is nearly done, but in future, if I don't change how the device builds it will fail.

Does that make it a lot harder? Because it sounds it :/

-Ninjeh.

Guest Dazzozo

Does that make it a lot harder? Because it sounds it :/

-Ninjeh.

It's... a bit of pain. You used to be able to treat the kernel and the ROM separately and build them as such. This meant you could easily whip out a new kernel, flash it and test, and the same goes for the ROM. Now, as part of the ROM building process it grabs the kernel source, and builds the kernel from that.

...and it requires a little bit of configuration to get that system up and running. Especially as we're not a supported device and we have a shared kernel. This'll be a nightmare as we're both exceptional cases. (Doesn't help that the article is written badly.)

Guest NinjehKitteh

Wow, that really does sound like a pain :/

Maybe you should write to someone at Cyanogen? I'm sure there's more than just the Crescent which has multiple devices?

-Ninjeh.

Guest Dazzozo

Wow, that really does sound like a pain :/

Maybe you should write to someone at Cyanogen? I'm sure there's more than just the Crescent which has multiple devices?

-Ninjeh.

The system has been designed around devices with their own kernel repository and device repository that are both hosted by the CyanogenMod organisation account. Not only that, but it's a little more friendly for those who don't house multiple devices in the kernel repository (for instance, we share with the Skate and the Blade, and a few other ZTE devices.), on top of that, we have two devices of our own with different touch screen configurations which require separate kernels.

:lol:

Edit: Also, we have like, one working Wi-Fi module. I don't think one has been successfully compiled from source. We have to fit the kernel around this one, ZTE-supplied module that we don't have the source code for. Fuzzra was looking in to it, but yeah.

Edit 2: This will probably upload before I'm able to test. I'll post it, but I won't put it in the OP until I've tested.

Edited by Dazzozo

Guest NinjehKitteh

I kinda understand what you mean, but when I finally get my wireless card to work with Linux, I'll begin to learn all this and I'll understand what you mean fully :3

I wanna be a software developer anyway so I'm gonna need Linux some time, best start now than later.

Just dish out what you can, anything you can give us to improve this budget device is welcome :D

-Ninjeh.

Edited by NinjehKitteh

Guest NinjehKitteh

The system has been designed around devices with their own kernel repository and device repository that are both hosted by the CyanogenMod organisation account. Not only that, but it's a little more friendly for those who don't house multiple devices in the kernel repository (for instance, we share with the Skate and the Blade, and a few other ZTE devices.), on top of that, we have two devices of our own with different touch screen configurations which require separate kernels.

:lol:

Edit: Also, we have like, one working Wi-Fi module. I don't think one has been successfully compiled from source. We have to fit the kernel around this one, ZTE-supplied module that we don't have the source code for. Fuzzra was looking in to it, but yeah.

Edit 2: This will probably upload before I'm able to test. I'll post it, but I won't put it in the OP until I've tested.

Just post whatever you can build and I'll give it a try, report back anything that goes wrong.

-Ninjeh.