strange charging behaviour?

Guest Br1an_g

Guest Br1an_g

got my one x on launch day, and noticed when i plugged it in for its initial charge that it got pretty hot and the red led went off after a few hours(fully charged i thought) but it wouldnt turn on.

plugged it back in again, red led on and it seemed to charge.

first couple of nights it has never really charged fully over night, got to 89% one night and 70 something another.

last night i plugged it in about 11pm and it was at 12%. red led was on, showed as charging on screen. woke up this morning, its still at 12%. this was on a blackberry charger which i used for my HTC desire.

i plugged in my portable charger pack and got it to 17% on the train to work

I now have it on charge, with the official charger and its went up 3% in an hour and a half. (airplane mode is on as im in work)

is this normal? at this rate its going to take 2 days to charge!

Guest PaulOBrien

The charger is a 1A charger, a lot of other chargers provide less power than this... so basically, use the one in the box if you can! :)

P

Guest Br1an_g

The charger is a 1A charger, a lot of other chargers provide less power than this... so basically, use the one in the box if you can! :)

P

thanks Paul, that solves part of the mystery. the charger i had in the bedroom was a 700ma output. swapped it for my old desire charger and it charged fine.

think the slow charging on the official charger was due to a software issue, app or service as after re-starting it charged fine for a while. but did get stuck again and required another restart to get to 100%.

Guest gavken

I had the same issue and a reboot solved it. I think there's a software glitch in here somewhere as though it had apparently been charging all night mine reported as being stuck at 69%. When I looked at the graph it also wasn't really using power over the day. A reboot and it showed the battery was really at 91%.

Guest mils69

Tonight I let my battery run completely flat and then plugged it into the charger (without turning it back on) I came back about an hour and the phone was almost too hot to pick up. Definite smell of warm plastic in the air. More than a little worrying.

Guest papercon

I love the phone but, I share that concern - gets very hot in a pocket and looses charge quite fast - there must be a lot of battery energy being turned into all that heat! Hope there might be a fix.

Guest 99 Red Ovoids

I'd agree that, when used, it runs through the battery at what seems like an alarming rate. However when idle it seems to be fairly good - for the last 3 hours my phone has been sat on the table next to me and hasn't dropped from 75%. Of course, it went from 100% to 75% in no time flat with the screen on, browsing the web and reading emails.

Guest papercon

My battery usage stats shown on the attached screengrab. 52% used by 'Google Services'.

These are listed as:

Google Bookmarks Sync

Google Services Framework

Network Location

Google Account Manager

Google Contacts Sync

Does anyone know if there's something I can turn off? Battery life (just phone, camera with no flash) is less than eight hours. sad.gif

Thanks for any help.

post-863209-0-60828100-1334504705_thumb.

Guest Shuflie

My battery usage stats shown on the attached screengrab. 52% used by 'Google Services'.

These are listed as:

Google Bookmarks Sync

Google Services Framework

Network Location

Google Account Manager

Google Contacts Sync

Does anyone know if there's something I can turn off? Battery life (just phone, camera with no flash) is less than eight hours. sad.gif

Thanks for any help.

I'd try disabling syncing to your google account going on the fact that the sync icon is showing in your toolbar. It should only appear there for a short time while differences sync up. As bookmarks sync and contacts sync are in the Google services list one of them may be having problems.

Guest papercon

I'd try disabling syncing to your google account going on the fact that the sync icon is showing in your toolbar. It should only appear there for a short time while differences sync up. As bookmarks sync and contacts sync are in the Google services list one of them may be having problems.

Thanks, I think that fixed it. Plus the boys at HTC advised me to run a battery check, which came back fine, and then run the software upgrade. Battery life seems very much better now.

D