Compiling CM9 (and maybe CM10) for Blade

Guest sej7278

Guest specterbg

I don't see much difference expet for some random reboots, the phone is as snapy as with GB and even faster in some cases. The phone app opens for about 1 second when laounched for the first time after reboot. The only strange thing that happened recently is that some songs tend to lag a bit in the beggining, but I may try another player ( I am using Apollo now ).

May be the sd card can cause some slowing down, but it shouldn't be much. I am using a 16 gb Samsung class 10 plus and it seems a bit faster than my last A-Data 4gb class 6. But it may be my imagination too.

My overal inpression from the current ICS builds is that it does get better over time and there is no problem, at least for me, to be used daily. :)

Guest specterbg

I know, but the price difference wasn't that big, so I prefered the better specifications. Anyway my point was that at the current state of development of the ICS ports for our phone are pretty good and ready for daily use. Of course, may be not fo the so called 'average' user, but I guess for geeky people like me it's ok.

Guest mitchde

Class 10 cards don't really always have better read speeds than the class 6, it might easily be the placebo :)

Excact: I read some valide test of on computer magazine about that. Result: Only transferspeed of very big files (>=10 MB) give most Class10 cards an significant benefit over Class6 (or 2). Most files for Andriod system and apps are much less in size. So the midsize 1-10 MB tests show that some Class 10 are slower than (good) Class6 cards. Testing small file read/write, < 1 MB shows that even more: Some Class2 cards get same speed as Class6+10. And lot of Class6 are faster than Class10. That happens to more or less optimized controller chip on the SD. At least Class6 can be better overall to some Class10. Only Class2 are mostly slower (overall) than Class6 and 10.

Edited by mitchde

Guest sej7278

can we keep this on-topic please folks, this thread is about how to compile cm9 yourself, not issues with non-cm9 builds from kangers.

Guest shezar

I would wait until the toolchain and changes get merged completely. Ofc I have builds with the merged Linaro changes but those were not yet built with the toolchain. I suspect it would break, I read on Gerrit that kernel builds tend to break using Linaro tools for some devices. So I would wait for now.

Guest Nikola86BG

Targetbsp built it, but not with their toolchain, so didn't get the desired effects and gave up (if I remember and/or understood correctly).

Guest targetbsp

I did in the end manage to compile it as I intended (thanks to someone earlier in this thread helping) but yeah it made bugger all difference without the toolchain so i didn't bother updating anyone on my status. :D

Guest shezar

I did in the end manage to compile it as I intended (thanks to someone earlier in this thread helping) but yeah it made bugger all difference without the toolchain so i didn't bother updating anyone on my status. :D

Funny I had absolutely no problems compiling. :) Actually yeah, no difference as long as the compiler flags are there which don't allow compile time optimizations. :)

Guest targetbsp

Funny I had absolutely no problems compiling. Actually yeah, no difference as long as the compiler flags are there which don't allow compile time optimizations.

I didn't so much have issues with the code compiling as with making my compiler work. :D Updating to GCC 4.7 was remarkably painful to a Windows user such as myself. :D

Guest nio25

i think KonstaT said that android/kernel code get compiled with the toolchain not the linux gcc (if im wrong correct me :P ).So i guess you have to change some variables in build/envsetup.sh like this commit http://review.cyanog....com/#/c/17444/

I tried to build with just that (no optimizations enabled) but kernel broke.Now im building with only "ANDROID_EABI_TOOLCHAIN" changed to linaro-4.7 but dont know if that makes any differnce (i guess with that only "android" code builds with linaro not kernel?)

also check this for deep sleep problem after airplane mode: http://blog.cryptomi...and-deep-sleep/

i'll test it if my build succeeds.

(average english knowledge, sorry :P )

update: deep sleep problem seems to be fixed with the above change (thanks to "Ogami Itto" who mention it at "cm9-aokp remix" thread) !

Edited by nio25

Guest KonstaT

I would wait until the toolchain and changes get merged completely. Ofc I have builds with the merged Linaro changes but those were not yet built with the toolchain. I suspect it would break, I read on Gerrit that kernel builds tend to break using Linaro tools for some devices. So I would wait for now.

Yeah, kernel breaks if you build it with linaro. Some compile flags needs to be changed to get it to compile to begin with. Even with that sorted it fails at the very end (compressing zImage) with

error: DIV usage mismatch between arch/arm/boot/compressed/misc.o and output
error: DIV usage mismatch between arch/arm/boot/compressed/lib1funcs.o and output
[/CODE] I got the misc.o thing sorted (there was a patch at gerrit that I can't find atm) and now it fails with
[CODE]
fatal error: arch/arm/boot/compressed/: pread failed: Is a directory

Guest sej7278

Another fresh test build. Trimmed down as always.

Device + Patches.

can you make a separate thread for build announcements please?

this thread is for people compiling their own cm9, otherwise it will fill with people reporting issues with your kang.

your patches can be announced here i guess.

Guest KonstaT

can you make a separate thread for build announcements please?

this thread is for people compiling their own cm9, otherwise it will fill with people reporting issues with your kang.

your patches can be announced here i guess.

No one has reported a single issue in this thread so far. I've also asked not to hijack this thread to discuss about my KANGs.

It's a CM9 self-build, I have nothing to do with most of the issues it has. There is absolutely no reason to start a new thread where noobs can ask how to do a TPT and whine about the same bugs we already know about.

Guest jventura

No one has reported a single issue in this thread so far. I've also asked not to hijack this thread to discuss about my KANGs.

It's a CM9 self-build, I have nothing to do with most of the issues it has. There is absolutely no reason to start a new thread where noobs can ask how to do a TPT and whine about the same bugs we already know about.

Yeap, and I also like to see that the latest patches still compile and which (interesting) patches are there.. :)

Guest nio25

I have a question (kinda offtopic) about git commit: to define a title, you use the first line for it then you leave the second line blank and you write your comments starting from the 3rd line (i used git commit -F filename for title/comments) ?

Guest jventura

I have a question (kinda offtopic) about git commit: to define a title, you use the first line for it then you leave the second line blank and you write your comments starting from the 3rd line (i used git commit -F filename for title/comments) ?

After git add'ing files, i only do "git commit", and then, in the text editor, the first line is the title, then next line is blank, and then the other line(s) is(are) the description of the patch.. Then ctrl+o to save (with the default name), then exit (ctrl+x, i think), then cd ~/cm9, then "repo upload packages/apps/whatever"..

Guest sej7278

After git add'ing files, i only do "git commit", and then, in the text editor, the first line is the title, then next line is blank, and then the other line(s) is(are) the description of the patch.. Then ctrl+o to save (with the default name), then exit (ctrl+x, i think), then cd ~/cm9, then "repo upload packages/apps/whatever"..

ctrl+o, ctrl+x? i'm sure you mean escape :wq! :)

Guest jventura

ctrl+o, ctrl+x? i'm sure you mean escape

Well, I'm not sure, but I think it is either Ctrl or Alt.. Whatever it is, the editor shows the key combinations below the text.. :)

Edited by jventura

Guest jventura

He means that he uses vi instead of nano.

It may be that! I use GNU nano, and to save is "^O" (which is ctrl+o to me) and to exit is "^X" which is ctrl+X.. :)

Guest jventura

Guys,

I don't know if it is a recurrent bug, or if it has appeared lately, but I think there is something with the Mms.apk app which prevent the phone from deep sleeping. I'll explain..

Here in Portugal, there is this mobile operator called Optimus (Orange brand) which sends everyday a message, which I think is an mms, publicizing some Apps from its website (93AppsClix). I use to receive that mms everyday without problems (sometimes I still use Android 2.3), but lately, with CM9 (build 09/Jun), I don't receive that mms instantly.

What happens is that in the middle of the afternoon, if I press a key from the keypad, my phone wakes, so it is not sleeping. Then, I do a restart, and immediately after the reboot, even before I enter my PIN, I receive the "93AppsClix" mms, usually 1,5h/2h later than the original sent date/time. So, to me, there is something happening with the Mms app which, instead of presenting the mms to the user instantly, kinda of blocks the phone, thus preventing it from deep sleeping..

Has anyone noticed something like this? I can't test sending mms to myself because the Mms app isn't sending mms, and I rarely (never) send mms to anyone, so don't know the default behavior..

I would like to track this bug down, since it causes massive battery drain, and I have my girlfriend and my sister already using CM9. They don't understand nothing of this "technicities", lol.. :)

Thanks

Edit: Oh, I use "Use Only 2G", but don't know if it has something to do with it..

Edited by jventura