How to root your Huawei Ascend G300 (for Windows, Mac and Linux)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest JethroUK

Is there's something you really don't understand mate or you just don't get it ???????? :)

both

I need to root but that is way over my head

Guest denzele

This is easiest way to root honestly ( thanks to paul) ..Rooted mine a dozen times with no issues..

Download file super recovery on your windows extract it..take battery out wait 5 sec. put it back..boot in fastboot by holding vol.up and power button together for 10 secunds...if stays on logo Huawei or Huawei Ascend ( depends which version of ICS you have) connect your phone to pc with usb cable...yoip PC should detect phone and installed drivers ( if not download Huawei drivers google it)...then open super recovery folder and hit install super recovery.bat file and wait to script to finish.. take usb out take batteru put it back this time hold vol. down and power to boot in recovery and select first to reboot phone..after all that once phone booted back if new app superuser is installed you're rooted...:)

Let me know ..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hygy

I'm trying too root my g300 following http://huaweig300.com/ this documentation.I started root-g300.exe rebooted the phone. The super user app appeard. I backed up the imei. Checked my baseband it is 2030. Downloaded the rootg300 again, started. Rebooted the phone. Started BootloaderG300.exe.

I got this:

sending 'recovery' (5074 KB)... OKAY

writing 'recovery'... FAILED (remote: Command not allowed)

rebooted again, but now it is freezing at the first Huawei Ascend logo.

adb devices shows no device

fastboot-windows.exe -> shows -> a14a51c5 fastboot

if I start:

install-superrecovery-windows.bat

c:\Users\gh12124\Downloads\huawei\r1-g300-superrecovery>fastboot-windows.exe flash recovery recovery.superrecovery.img

Please help, how can I recover my device?

----- Edited: ----

Now it is working again, I put into the dload folder the telenor rom. Pressed the volume buttons and the power button. Now I can boot it. thanks.

Edited by hygy

Guest predragiPredrag

I'm trying too root my g300 following http://huaweig300.com/ this documentation.I started root-g300.exe rebooted the phone. The super user app appeard. I backed up the imei. Checked my baseband it is 2030. Downloaded the rootg300 again, started. Rebooted the phone. Started BootloaderG300.exe.

Please help, how can I recover my device?

You can download official rom from huawei site, they are in UPDATE.APP format. You format yous SD card, and put UPDATE.APP on it.

Turn on your device by pressing VOL+, VOL-, POWER button at the same time, this way factory update software will be done.

You can try to root your phone in the next way. I think that it will work. I used same metod after I unlocked bootloader with official huawei code :)

1. Download TWRP from http://www.modaco.co...u8818-10042013/

2. unpack .zip file and take recovery.img file,

3. Flash your custom recovery by issuing the command

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

4. Turn off your phone and enter recovery holding VOL+ and POWER for 5-10sec (until twrp logo appears)

5. In TWRP, select reboot -> system. You will be prompted to install SuperSU. Swipe to confirm. When your device boots you will see a prompt to install the full version of SuperSU.

Select to do the TWRP install. Your device will download a file, reboot into TWRP which will automatically install the file, then reboot again.

If anything goes wrong you can always use metod with UPDATE.APP :)

Edited by predragiPredrag

Guest hygy

Downloaded an official rom already, and recovered the phone. It is a 4.0.3 rom. But I cant root it with your way. :(

c:\CWM>fastboot-windows.exe flash recovery recovery.img

< waiting for device >

sending 'recovery' (6218 KB)... OKAY

Any other idea? :)

• 1 month later...
Guest pcandy

Hi

Having real problems trying to root my new g300.

The phone is a unlocked Vodafone model, U8815 running 4.0.3, baseband 2030, B960. I want to root it to get rid of Vodafone bloat then try some other ROMs.

When I run 'install-superrecovery-windows' I get this ....

< waiting for device >

I just want to get rooted as the first step.

I'm very new to all this so please be kind! I see other have had similar issues, but I don't understand the responses or if they apply to my case.

I've also noted that my phone automatically goes to 'connected as an installer' when the usb cable is plugged in normal mode - is this a problem (?) when it boots to Huawei screen (vol down / on)

I believe I have downloaded the correct drivers.

Thanks. Paul

Guest dalyer

Did you unlock your bootloader first?

Did you try another USB port as the previous poster suggested when they got the same error?

Edited by dalyer

Guest pcandy

Hi Dalyer

Sorry - just posted a quote with no other content - said I was new to this!

No - I have not unlocked my bootloader ( as was not stipulated in first post) - so are you saying I need to do that? It looks quite complex!!

I have tried other USB port (and another PC).

Thanks, Paul

Guest dalyer

Sorry - no - you shouldn't need to unlock the bootloader to root. My mistake! :blush:

But you will need to do it if you want to install a custom recovery/stock ROM.

There are several reports in this thread of the same "failed" error as you got when trying to root but I don't know if there is any solution...

Could it be a driver issue? e.g. see here:

http://www.modaco.co...x/#entry1936823

http://huaweig300.co...he-usb-drivers/

Actually - for what it's worth - I originally rooted my G300 using the second link above - the "explained like you're 5" tutorial. I'm not sure if there is much/any difference between using that tutorial and the one that started this thread or if one is recommended over the other... However I do know that the "explained like you're 5" tutorial method of unlocking the bootloader should ideally be avoided and the "official" unlock approach used instead if you need to unlock your bootloader. If you use the former then you may end up with problems like "3G reboots" and signal loss due to the use of the (inherently unlocked) GB bootloader under ICS or JB.

Hope this helps and apologies for anything earlier that may have misled!

Edited by dalyer

Guest CrystalLettuce

err, okay. dunno what that was about.

but now i'm getting the "failed" error when I try to write, like everyone else. have the latest drivers. no clue what's going on.

Guest CrystalLettuce

Go to Settings > Application Settings > Development and tick the "USB Debugging" box

My phone seems to be shut out of USB debugging for some reason, possible due to the settings being reset(I got it back from repairs, he couldn't fix the touchscreen). Is there any way to back it up at this stage?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pyntux

Just to add one more way to root G300...

1. Unlock bootloader (if you are on ICS, if you are on GB, there's no need for that) -- There's topic about unlocking bootloader on forum...

2. Install TWRP (I boot in to bootloader mode, than install TWRP with "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img") -- There's topic about instaling TWRP on forum...

3. Boot in to TWRP

4. Press "reboot" --> "system"

5. TWRP will say to you something like "your system is not rooted, do you want to install SuperSU?"

6. Install SuperSu

7. Phone will reboot

8. Install SuperSu from Gplay

Edited by Pyntux

• 4 months later...

Installation of a custom recover such as CWM or TWRP is a separate step.

If you want to install custom ROMs you need to 

Root

Unlock bootloader (officially - don't use the old unofficial method mentioned elsewhere)

Install CWM or TWRP

Install custom ROM zip (after doing all wipes/formats etc.)

Install Google apps (for CyanogenMod ROMs or others that don't bundle gapps)