Goodbye

Guest putbinoot

Guest putbinoot

Hope you all enjoy the Skate, it was good while it lasted and thanks for everybody's roms and input but I have slipped to the dark side called Huawei, namely the G300 which is unlocked and running on GiffGaff and for £100 what a phone. Hope to try and recover £70 for the skate on the old bay. Thanks again all.

Putbinoot.

Guest Frankish

I too was hoping to get 70 for my phone. Only advertised locally but not had anything more than lower offers etc. I really want the G300!

Guest putbinoot

I too was hoping to get 70 for my phone. Only advertised locally but not had anything more than lower offers etc. I really want the G300!

Gonna take me until thursday to get round to it so you can see what i get for it.

Guest eLJay

Well they are a good looking design and most people wouldn't notice much difference between the Skate and the Nexus.

What ROM are you using on the phone when you sell it? Did you include an SD Card and how big?

I did wonder if it would be better to wait until someone had a fully working ICS but that G300 is just calling out to me I should just move on (need to go to Vodaphone to cancel my Data Dongle anyway as even though unlimited with 5GB fair usage for £21 a month including VAT is good I no longer use it as I have WiFi at home and a smartphone).

One thought was that with all this chopping and changing is it going to end up costing us more than buying a Nexus, but as I got my skate for £88 second hand it isn't too bad.

Edited by eLJay

Guest dibbles

For those who are changing their Skates for the G300, or desire to, what do you find is the need that is making you do this...?

I know it depends on the type of use you want from a phone but for me the Skate with the 4.3" screen is great to type etc. I only use my Skate for phone calls, texting, GPS and the odd photo or two. In that context it ticks all of my boxes.

Even though I could sell my Skate I really do not think that there is enough of a difference, based on my use, to justify that for what the G300 has going for it now.

Guest Frankish

For me I think 4" is the perfect sweet spot screen wise. Used to think 4.3" but found it a little large at times. The build quality seems good on the g300. Flash support is nice but ill never use it. Decent led notification instead of the dim back button type. Plus I'm just addicted to the change and the new community building. Plus it's sad but I know some will appreciate the flash working with torch apps unlike the Skate.

Edited by Frankish

Guest hugobosslives

put it this way. if you didn't have a skate right now and were looking for a new phone which one would you go for?

80-90 quid for a skate?

100 quid for a G300?

you would almost certainly pick the latter no? armv7 any one?

so its basically a 20 quid upgrade....

the only bad point I can see is that it doesn't have ICS at the moment. but that will soon change given the interest in this device.

I too am debating whether to sell mine. I'm in the lucky position were I could get 100 quid for it from someone I know. Therefore it would cost me nothing (apart from unlock) to upgrade. However I don't think I could go back to gingerbread right now......

torn....

Well it looks like the party is moving to the g300,so I am selling up and joining in :lol:

This device is going to be big,bigger than the blade was.

We are talking basically the same price range here,but look at the difference in specs.

Also tilal seems to be leaning this way,and a few blade devs look interested,this could be a real good party.

Skate crew........abandon ship!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:  

Guest Josh92

Hmm even if it did run ICS I don't think I'd do it purely based on screen size, anything less than 4.3 is going backwards to me. If had a bigger screen I'd consider it.

Guest Josh92

You make a point, more I think about it the more I'm drawn to it, just wish it had the same size screen. Wonder when ZTE will upgrade the skate..

Guest Josh92

You make a point, more I think about it the more I'm drawn to it, just wish it had the same size screen. Wonder when ZTE will upgrade the skate..

Guest tilal6991

I don't know whether I will actually get the g300. Its all up in the air. Plus even if I did I'm not going to sell my skate and will keep devving for it.

Guest xiaoyaoswim

Bye putbinoot. Sad to see more and more people are leaving the Skate. Personally I will not go for any handset smaller than 4.3" in the future.

Guest razzmataz1478

I'm decided that i'm going to try and get at least a year out of the skate, and maybe get a 4g handset after, if three are still going to start the network upgrade in november/december

Guest Frankish
I don't know whether I will actually get the g300. Its all up in the air. Plus even if I did I'm not going to sell my skate and will keep devving for it.

You SERIOUSLY need to set up a PayPal for people to donate to. Start a g300 fund I for one will donate 5 quid. You only really need 20 donations at that price. Your name is known it would be easy. Just say that by donating you are not guaranteeing that you will be doing work on it week in week out. Don't out yourself under extra pressure.

Do you think unlocking will be an issue?

Seeing as zte are easy to unlock and the trouble we had with the skate.

Guest TouchyAndalou

There's no doubting that this is a great phone for the price, although there are two drawbacks for me when thinking about an upgrade.

Firstly, I want to avoid returning to a screen under 4.3". I know there's not a massive difference, but having used the larger screen I definitely notice and appreciate the extra size. The second concern is the reportedly terrible sound that you get from the speaker on the Huawei. This is important because I use the in-built speaker for music when doing stuff around the house and it's also my primary alarm. AtomICS with Dolby sound for the Skate offers impressive sound.

So as good as this phone is, I think I'll wait to see what price the Mimosa X launches at.