Someone menage to work Linux on Blade?

Guest Doctor91

Guest Doctor91

Someone menage to work linux on blade? I'm on CM7 and with Linux Installer i'm having problem with "mount loop" option. I've created loop, formatted it and when i tap on mount loop i get "cant Mount BLOCK part:". I googled that wipe data helped one person but  it would be nice to know that this app even works on blade. 

Edited by Doctor91

Guest Sulthekk

I have no such problem with it, though that was a long time since I installed Debian... Have you tried increasing the maximum loop dev setting?

Guest t0mm13b

Point of having linux on phone? possibility of having full OS on phone ;) I'm just curious how it works.

Hummm... Linux is on the handset, the kernel, busybox tools, bash shell... just saying, its already there :)

Guest Doctor91

You did that on CM7? I have "LOOP Max" option, increasing number of loops increasing duration of "Mounting LOOP" popup after tapping on mount loop. I also tried to create target loop with debian stable, the same resoult. In console log i can see that after strings with loops there is "No loop devices founds ! ", and "ERROR when mount BLOCK !". I'm on GEN2 CM7, kernel could not support loop device? BTW, i'm using Linux Installer 3.3

@ t0mm13b: I know, I'm just curious how it works and what I can run on it, GUI etc. Having normal OS on phone is kinda interesting :)

Edited by Doctor91

Guest Sulthekk

Having a full debian has some advantages, like apt, metasploit, and lot of other things that hasn't been ported to android (yet).

What is returned from 'losetup -f'?

Guest Sulthekk

'losetup -f'" returns nothing, but "losetup" returns /dev/loop(0-31): 0 and apps paths.

Those are apps moved to sdcard, they are also in containers mounted as loop... 0-31 is exactly 32 loop devices (zero index), and 'losetup -f' should return the next free loop device, but it looks like there isn't any...

I don't know if there is any limitation about the number of loop devices, as I have never used that much at the same time. :o

What about creating one with 'losetup /sdcard/<linux.img> /dev/loop32'?

Edited by Sulthekk

Guest Doctor91

So if i want it to work i must have 8, 16 or 32 free loop 'slots'? file created by Linux Installer has .loop extension, i have .iso ubuntu image downloaded via "Ubuntu Installer" but terminal emulator says "no such file or directory" triple checked path.

With Ubuntu Installer after doing everything right, in terminal emulator after typing cd path and "sh ubuntu.sh" it returns mount: blabla and "Device or resource busy".

Edited by Doctor91

Guest Sulthekk

I thought ubuntu dropped armv6 support anyway...

You can't mount any of them until you get a free a loop device... Another method is to create an ext2 partition on sdcard and install it here, but that's not the most comfortable way...

Guest Sulthekk

I have a 512mb ext partition on sd, why it's not comfortable?

Well, I don't know if linux installer has been updated for it, but when I tried (a long time ago) I had to type a lot... That's not comfortable on a touchscreen.

Guest Sulthekk

After a wipe and flash newest CM7 nightly and install no apps I menaged to run debian with Linux Installer, but have no idea how to install vnc server to have GUI..

apt-get install <desired vnc package>

Btw, it's slow that way. VERY slow.

I had no time to experiment with it, but using that one should be a bit faster: http://goo.gl/9Jfdx

In theory you just have to set up X remotely on 127.0.0.1 on the port you run this X server. It's a good idea to allow connections from localhost only. After setting it up all X11 apps should be able to run within this server, you still got to launch them from command-line, except if you launch a full desktop environment (for example gnome-session).

Edited by Sulthekk

Guest Doctor91

My knowledge about linux is very poor, i've tried to find some tuts but none of them helped, maybe you have some tutorial that will help? or maybe someone know what is wrong with Ubuntu Installer and screen that i've posted above?

Guest Sulthekk

My knowledge about linux is very poor, i've tried to find some tuts but none of them helped, maybe you have some tutorial that will help? or maybe someone know what is wrong with Ubuntu Installer and screen that i've posted above?

That's a lot of errors, but probably the segmentation fault is the source of most of them.... But as far as I know ubuntu has no armv6 support, thus I would be surprised if it worked properly.

As for the tutorials, I don't know - It depends on what are you interested in. There are a few simple things that may help you though:

-If you need help in using a command-line software, the 'man' (as in manual) command usually helps a lot. For example, to get help about 'route' enter 'man route'

-No need for GUI: You can do everything from a shell. Even browsing. Don't panic if you have no GUI, shell may be scary for the first time but is a lot more effective.

-Think before pressing enter: Command line apps expect that the user knows what is he doing, thus they don't show you 'Are you sure?' messages... Even less if you can see a # before the command, as that means root privileges. ALL apps expect root to know what's going on.

-Root can do anything: even if you give no permission to root to edit a file, it's still possible for him, as he's the Super User, simply a God in his own system.

Guest Sulthekk

Nice mini explanations. :D

There would be a lot more but I have no patience to type them all on a touchscreen :)

He will find out everything over time anyway, nowadays a lot of people know 'Google-Fu'.