How to create your own rom?

Guest mattfletcher9292

Guest brookergray

If you want anything even remotely original than learn Java and C, C++ (pay special attention to pointers. ) That's how the real deal (CM, AOKP, MIUI) is done not with apktool. Don't forget that all your learning should be done on a UNIX like system.

After the above is done ask for further instructions.

Guest tillaz

If you want anything even remotely original than learn Java and C, C++ (pay special attention to pointers. ) That's how the real deal (CM, AOKP, MIUI) is done not with apktool. Don't forget that all your learning should be done on a UNIX like system.

After the above is done ask for further instructions.

don't think he was asking how build a rom from source, but rather how to make a custom rom based on stock...

the above its by far the hardest root for a beginner, modding a stock rom would be the ideal place to start,

then moving on to the above...

Guest brookergray

don't think he was asking how build a rom from source, but rather how to make a custom rom based on stock...

the above its by far the hardest root for a beginner, modding a stock rom would be the ideal place to start,

then moving on to the above...

It's pretty hard to jump from modding to building too. You don't actually gain insight to how the rom works, so most of what you learn that way is useless in the real stuff.

Besides, learning programming has benefits other than being able to build roms.

Sometimes the harder route is actually more satisfying. For example you could build an app using app inventor or learn Java. Java is harder (though IMHO it's easier than working with the limitations of AI) but you get far better results.

Edited by brookergray

Guest tillaz

It's pretty hard to jump from modding to building too. You don't actually gain insight to how the rom works, so most of what you learn that way is useless in the real stuff.

Besides, learning programming has benefits other than being able to build roms.

Sometimes the harder route is actually more satisfying. For example you could build an app using app inventor or learn Java. Java is harder (though IMHO it's easier than working with the limitations of AI) but you get far better results.

well, i learnt alot this way, and my rom based on stock has most of the main features cm7 has without me building it from source (smail mods)

building something that could compare to cm7 or miui on your own, with your own code could take a very long time or just not happen lol

best place to learn basic rom development is have a play around with stock rom, building from source is completely different

Guest the_crevis

this looks like is has everything all in one http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1619473 full feature list here http://www.virtuousr...s-features.html

i will be testing this out soon, looks really good

I haven't tested this yet either as I don't have a phone atm but it looks brilliant, finally a nice GUI that incorporates many features that make modding somewhat easier. I might just stick to the good old fashioned way in the end though, we'll see :L