Will unlocking affect ICS update and vice versa?

Guest pwhite

Guest pwhite

Thinking about getting one of these for the wife - she would like to get her first smartphone, and wants to stay PAYG. She probably isn't going to let me play with it too much, so it will probably stay stock. I would like to get it unlocked to put in a giff gaff sim though.

Question is, if I unlock it, but don't flash any custom ROMs - not sure how the ICS update will be delivered? Will it still class as a Vodaphone phone so will need to wait for Vodaphone to ship it - or should I wait until the 'exclusive' deal is up and see if it is possible to pick one up unbranded? Concerned also about losing the unlock if it is a Vodaphone update.

I see that for their Mediapad - you need to go on their website to download the update:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/04/30/ice-cream-sandwich-now-available-for-the-huawei-mediapad/

Wonder if they will bypass carriers in the same manner for this.

I know this can be avoided/ solved by flashing a custom ROM - but my wife already reckons I spend too much time fiddling with my phone without starting on hers!

Guest Frankish

You seem quite confused so here it is in black and white.

Unlocking the phone does just that, only unlocks it. Doesn't affect anything else so it will still need to receive the ICS update from Vodafone regardless of sim lock status. The rom remains a Vodafone build.

If you installed an official stock rom (once available) and didn't unlock, it would still receive the ICS update via Huawei. Sim lock and stock/branded roms are totally different things. Hope I haven't babbled too much!

Guest metal.mickey

My unit came unlocked from Vodafone so it would still be avail for an update.

Its now rooted with clockwork mod installed so regardless of update via voda/Huawei, the rom for ics will still be available here in the forums listed in the stock roms somewhere.

I cant wait for the update so im floggin it on ebay (shameless i know)

MM

Guest dancg

I have a sort of related question. I have rooted my G300 through the method posted my Paul, and I understand that I am still using the original ROM + some extra apps automatically (like SU, etc) installed right after the rooting process. If tomorrow Huawei publishes an update that fixes the volume issue, will that update get somehow automatically to my handset? I am also not with Vodafone but with GiffGaff.

Cheers

Guest FrownBreaker

My unit came unlocked from Vodafone so it would still be avail for an update.

Its now rooted with clockwork mod installed so regardless of update via voda/Huawei, the rom for ics will still be available here in the forums listed in the stock roms somewhere.

I cant wait for the update so im floggin it on ebay (shameless i know)

MM

Did you purchase on line or in store? I read one post where someone got "the last one in the store" and reported it was a contract phone - but they got it for £100 with no top up.