How to root your HTC One X Qualcomm S4 (for Windows, Mac and Linux)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

AS MY EVITA IS CURRENTLY BOOTLOADER LOCKED, THIS SUPERBOOT IS FOR TEST PURPOSES ONLY. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

Download

• Superboot r2 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 39a02275706d4b034c3c185b5b9b1a82

The superboot image is also 'insecure', allowing you to use 'adb remount' as well as having full ADB root access to your device until such time as you reboot after running this process (it's a non permanent ADB root as it's a 'fastboot boot' and not a 'fastboot flash' but it IS a permanent root in all other regards!).

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

• Ensure your bootloader is unlocked using the htcdev unlock process
    • Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
    • Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume down' button pressed to enter the bootloader, then press the power button again to enter fastboot.
    • WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'
    • MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'
    • LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'
    • P

PS If you find this useful, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo subscription! Visit this topic for further details!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
Guest mikeego135

Hey paul, good day to you and ugh this sounds stupid but I downloaded it then followed exactly all the instructions you said above, then it successfully done it on pc, tho on my HTC it didnt go as expected, it went stuck on HTC quietly brilliant screen, then it froze, I went to press power down and volume down to return to hboot but instead it shutted down, then usb mode went nuts, you'll hear the sound of plugged in then plugged out tone of the pc, over and over again, it doesn't turn on now, even the combination buttons on my phone arent functional now, :'( no matter what i do please i need you help