New B888 ROM from Huawei [Download Link Inside]

Guest KasioPC

Guest dragpyre

Sorry dragpyre, wrong choice of words. No offence intended. Is yours a UK phone?

Yup, bought in a shop in the city of Canterbury, locked to Vodafone, got it unlocked by Specialize on ebay for £8.98 :)

Guest terry.n

Hello all - thanks for all the brilliant advice on here. Based on everything I've read, I bit the bullet and got the phone on Tuesday, and immediately flased B888 on it. I was quite literal though (and a newbie), so I only flashed the dload directory (cause that's what the instructions said to do). After unlocking, and 2 days of installing apps I'm very pleased.

So here's my question - should I flash the vendor update? What does it add? I read on another thread it adds the notification toggle, but is that all? The other thread also suggests it drops the home screens from 7 to 5 and removes the home screen settings. Does it add the vodafone crap, as the phone is completely unbranded at the moment?

Thanks for any info/advice you have.

Terry

Guest Frankish

It wont add any vodafone stuff. Its mainly the toggles and homescreens that changes. I just made sure I flash it as I can't live without notification toggles. Plus its how huawei intended the device to be!

Guest Davidoff59

I didn't flash the vendor file either. The 'toolbox rewrite' widget which comes with B888 has most of the toggles that you need.

Guest dragpyre

Can I download this from my phone browser and flash?

As long as it is extracted in a folder called dload on your SD card, then it should still work.

Guest Anthony1989

As long as it is extracted in a folder called dload on your SD card, then it should still work.

Cheers mate. Also how do I find out what rom in on? I got a notification for update when turning my phone on but don't no if its this one. Sorry for questions used to my skate haha

Guest dragpyre

Cheers mate. Also how do I find out what rom in on? I got a notification for update when turning my phone on but don't no if its this one. Sorry for questions used to my skate haha

The notification you got is an update to B885. You are on B882. This ROM is B888, it doesn't have the Vodafone crudware, touch is improved, sound is fixed and speed is much better as well benchmark scores.

Edited by dragpyre

Guest BLaZiNgSPEED

So basically if I download and install this B888 ROM from Huawei, it will get rid of all the vodafone bloatware. But my question is, will it void my warranty with vodafone, even though it is an official ROM from Huawei?!

This is my only concern, otherwise I am more than happy to install this ROM. Seeing that Vodafone only provide the B885 version. I am concerned that if the vodafone bloatware isn't there and for whatever reason I need to exchange/repair the phone in future if anything goes wrong/technical problem(s) occur, vodafone might reject it, simply because the ROM is from Huawei and not from Vodafone. :unsure:

Guest Davidoff59

Its a leaked rom, not an official Huawei release so warranty may be an issue. However if it gets published to Huawei's website, that will be ok to flash and would keep the warranty cover

Edited by Davidoff59

Guest BLaZiNgSPEED

Its a leaked rom, not an official Huawei release so warranty may be an issue. However if it gets published to Huawei's website, that will be ok to flash and would keep the warranty cover

Right. Well then in that case I'll definitely not take the risk. I'll wait for it to appear in the Huawei site or when vodafone release an update. :)

Problem is that if I wait for vodafone to release B888 the vodafone bloatware will still be present there. :blink: I guess I'll have to root my phone in order to get rid of the vodafone apps...At least knowing that I can unroot back again the warranty would still be present. :P

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

I was worried about the warranty issues too; especially in light of the problemI have had with the screen. However, I took the plunge the other day because I figure it won't be too long before somebody here finds a way of restoring the partition layout (like wbaw did for the Blade). The b888 ROM is so much nicer to use than the stock one.

I highly doubt Huawei will release b888 officially. I think it was only available for testing/reviewing purposes.

Edited by Konstipated Kiwi

Guest locky123

Updated to B888, all seems good, bottom keys seem more responsive. The widget to control on/off for wifi, GPS etc is not included. Does anyone recommend where to get the original version or an alternative?

Guest eirlysbill1

Updated to B888, all seems good, bottom keys seem more responsive. The widget to control on/off for wifi, GPS etc is not included. Does anyone recommend where to get the original version or an alternative?

I reckon that is on the vendor file. Just install that over the B888 update. I think it also includes all the Huawei apps too. Like All backup, my calendar, and other stuff.

Guest Muznyu

You have to install the UPDATE.APP file from vendor folder the same way as you did with the ROM (copy it to sdcard/dload folder and flash it). When it finished it'll show OK on screen, and then you have to manually restart the phone.

Guest Hans Gruber

I notice on the Chinese Huawei wesbite there is a firmware posted 2 days ago named U8818 V100R001C17B880. Which is presumably B880 for the U8818. Could there be anything of interest in it for us?

http://www.huaweidev...eeId=3677&tab=2

Hang on... the download link is actually for B890. So could well be newer than what we have now?

inside the zip file there is a PDF that actually mentions HDU88151006V100R001C17B890.zip but it's all in Chinese so no idea what it's on about

Edited by Hans Gruber

Guest locky123

You have to install the UPDATE.APP file from vendor folder the same way as you did with the ROM (copy it to sdcard/dload folder and flash it). When it finished it'll show OK on screen, and then you have to manually restart the phone.

Thats how I updated to B888.

I reckon that is on the vendor file. Just install that over the B888 update. I think it also includes all the Huawei apps too. Like All backup, my calendar, and other stuff.

Did not install Vendor file.

All backup, calendar is in the menu.

Found solution, open Toolbox rewrite widget and power control widget appears.

Guest Davidoff59

I was just going to tell you that locky. you mentioned widget and people mentioned the vendor file which installs the extra pull down menu shortcuts. 2 different things.

Guest locky123

I was just going to tell you that locky. you mentioned widget and people mentioned the vendor file which installs the extra pull down menu shortcuts. 2 different things.

How do i install the vendor file?