[CM9/ICS][ARMv6] Sign this petition for OMX codecs!

Guest Ron=)

Guest nagy.renato

they will not release them just because there is a site with 8000 signs

well maybe we have 1% hope

I think this too.

Guest Akash P
they will not release them just because there is a site with 8000 signs

well maybe we have 1% hope

So true. Probably that is never going to happen. ZTE has a history of ignoring its user's.

Guest Ron=)

So true. Probably that is never going to happen. ZTE has a history of ignoring its user's.

It has nothing to do with ZTE.

The only reason Armv6 drivers were released for the adreno 200 in ICS was community pressure. It is unlikely that we will obtain OMX codecs the same way , however, it is possible.

Guest t0mm13b

It has nothing to do with ZTE.

Yes it has!

Zte has a history - y'see, Ron

There was a Zte PR person on board who hung out frequently on this very forum (this was a result of having official CM support for the Zte Blade) and he skedaddled off into twilight never to be seen again. That Summer 2011, when the GB kernel (which was 2.6.35) which is now the normal, and is partially integrated with the rest of the so-called ICS fuss, with parts of 3.0 backported.

Well, y'see, at the time, we had a blade kernel 2.6.32, someone (think it was of chinese origin) on the forum leaked a blade kernel and ROM which was 2.6.35 (GingerLeak as iirc), thusly 'Ginger Blue' ROM came out with a ROM that was modded built around the leaked kernel and ROM (GingerLeak). When the Zte PR person kept making false promises on the release of the new kerrnel based on the GingerLeak (as it was known), he caved into the pressure of the community, lo and behold, through him, Zte released the kernel.

It was not the kernel that everyone expected to be, and some were very disappointed! Some who were vocal about it, knew about the existing .35 kernel sources in CAF, and when the sources has been seen... uproar ensued! (to this day I still think that through him, he got Zte to make a mess of it to shut us all up regarding GingerLeak!)

A lot of expectations were held about the kernel as to a lot of people who were using the leaked kernel and ROM, what with people singing praises for long battery life and wifi reconnecting (which was a sore sticking point back then on the .32 sources) - only to discover the kernel was actually and to this day, a 2.6.32 kernel with .35 bits thrown in - in other words a butchered up kernel which is what Zte, up to now stands for, butchering up old sources and not using pure kernel sources that is found in CAF.

A lot of disappointment ensued and very vocal about it, and people laid out questions about the kernel to this PR guy, and has not been seen ever since!

So yes, Zte has bad PR and bad publicity behind the scenes!

And as a result of his disappearance, left the Blade community high and dry as a result without backing, for a PR guy to leave the community signalled bad moves there! And to this day, it's ignored users ever since! What with Zte, officially, being the 5th largest company in the world.... meh!

So, all of this has nothing to do with this so-called ARMv6 crapola... read on

Since Zte bought those ARMv6 chipsets at presumably knock down prices, and brought out the Blade which to this day, is still the largest community on Modaco, of course, bought a crap-ton load of them chipsets manufactured and bundled into what we all love ever since, the Blade, its through Zte that can pile on the pressure to Qualcomm to release the sources for the OMX codecs, but then, you're dreaming...

ARM probably has a patent on it somewhere for the video codec on the MSM7x27 chipset (READ: No letter 'a' beside it!) thusly, Qualcomm who licensed the designs of that chipset from ARM holdings were prohibited from passing it on, that's my guess.... so.... to turn this circle full-around... well.. to be honest, you're all being foolish to hang on to the ARMv6 as the platform to run ICS on, give up! There's plenty of cheap smartphones out there that would be twice as powerful as the Blade (I should know, I have the Xperia Mini right now and its bloody fast I tell ya mate) and cheap as chips and that is my friend, where this is going, ARMv6 to the graveyard, ARMv7 coming in, in the form of cheap smartphones now, what with quad core blah blah making way coming in as 400 odd euro handset....

Am sorry to be blunt and harsh in this, but really, I think you should just get over that and realize you're in a lose-lose- position about this and move on, this is what Google has intended to do from day one when ICS was released and I pointed out the lack of the ARMv6 support (during the very early days of the ics4blade project) that the lack of the ARMv6 support in there, notably the dalvikvm machine signalled the era of the cheap smartphones such as what we have today aka the Blade and Skate!

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest Davidoff59

good writeup there tommi13b. I suppose the only way to stick 2 fingers up to Zte is to not buy their devices and to be vocal about the complete lack of support from Zte. Let them go back to making dongles. Its a crying shame though that perfectly capable devices are going to be consigned to the scrapheap so to speak. The old 'customer is King' saying has long been replaced by profit over consumer retention. While there are smartphone startups like Huawei and others joining the budget end of the scale along with Samsung and Htc already well established, Zte have only harmed themselves. After all if there is no developers, a lot of people will think twice about buying.

I was happy to get gingerbread on the Blade to be honest and a great rom it is so despite Zte, I want to thank all the developers who put in their effort and took over where both Orange and Zte abandoned us.

I have moved on to the Huawei G300. My nephew will probably want my Blade so it will live on for a while yet.

Guest t0mm13b

@davidoff59,

Yes, Zte's plan to dominate actually back-fired when the Skate came out... LOL! Again, lot of disappointed users with it when it first came out and the frenzy into getting the Skate unlocked (Zte deliberately locked it down, possibly by way of how Orange complained to Zte about how easy the Blade was to unlock... but I digress)

Yes you are 100% correct there, Zte harmed themselves big time... but I think they are trying to claw their way back in, they are rolling out a big mobile infrastructure in africa, and they won the contract, IIRC, (saw that somewhere on reddit/engadget) but meh... :D

Well am perfectly happy to have the Xperia Mini, I know I keep saying it, but am bloody looking forward to modding it :D

Guest Ron=)

You assume that ZTE are the only manufacturers to use a MSM7x2, this is obviously incorrect. Most of the support of that petition has come from the LG optimus one community. I agree that it is unlikely that ZTE would care about this.