I could cry! Left my phone on the car roof... drove off...

Guest Pia23

Guest Pia23

.. found it when i retraced my journey later, on the busiest road in the area. It still rings etc, but must have been ran over by every passing car and the screen is in a billion pieces.

Can anyone tell me if it's fixable? Can you recommend someone online to replace the screen for me? How much would it cost?

Or do you think there will be more damage than the screen itself?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Guest Josh92

Ouch, definitely best to get another, price difference will be minimal even if it is cheaper but the hassle won't be worth it, plus the extra money will be worth being able to have a shiny new one. ;)

Guest hugobosslives

to be honest if it was run over it will not be cheap to replace. if it just fell off the car at speed than it might be fixable

Guest Pia23

It still rings and vibrates, the backlight also comes on. The camera looks fine, it was in a silicone case face down on the road. The digitiser is totally shattered and the screen underneath is cracked all over :( The back of the phone looks totally fine, i've taken the battery out and sim etc, no cracks at all

Edited by Pia23

Guest eLJay

It still rings and vibrates, the backlight also comes on. The camera looks fine, it was in a silicone case face down on the road. The digitiser is totally shattered and the screen underneath is cracked all over :( The back of the phone looks totally fine, i've taken the battery out and sim etc, no cracks at all

If you can get a screen (not seen any). Probably best to buy another phone and if your going to do that the Huawei G300 is about the same price with a later version processor and is awaiting an ICS update.

Guest Pia23

Thanks i looked at that phone and it seems to be roughly £150 whereas the Skate is around £115.

A few more questions, if i was to take the risk and replace the screen, is it easy to do?

If i don't, does anyone know if it's possible to retrieve all my data from the phone? Bearing in mind it's set with a lock pattern and the screen is so smashed it won't react to any presses.

Guest tillaz

its fairly easy to fit a new screen,

i would take it apart first and see if there is any damage to the board, not sure i would risk paying 40 to 50 pound for a new screen though that might not work.

if you can still get the g300 for £100 that would be a much better option than a new skate

not sure about the data... if your computer still recognises the phone you might be able to dump the system..

what data exactly do you mean, pics, videos, music? or personal data like contacts and stuff?

Guest Josh92

Thanks i looked at that phone and it seems to be roughly £150 whereas the Skate is around £115.

A few more questions, if i was to take the risk and replace the screen, is it easy to do?

If i don't, does anyone know if it's possible to retrieve all my data from the phone? Bearing in mind it's set with a lock pattern and the screen is so smashed it won't react to any presses.

Anything on the SD can be gotten easily enough if it's not broken, otherwise I'm not sure, somethings may have synced to Google if you allowed it (contacts, photos, settings)

Guest Pia23

I think it's just contacts really, not sure what else, i disabled the Orange backup and also the google sync... I am a tool :ph34r:

I'm so gutted :( I rang the phone and the ringtone didn't play, i'm sure it wasn't on silent though so i guess the speaker is goosed also.

Guest Pia23

The Huawei looks good. Although i loved my OMC and the purple case i had for it. :( Spent ages getting it how i wanted. I could slap myself silly for my stupidity. The worst thing is, i didn't even need to take my phone out. I put it on the roof whilst strapping the toddler in, and it even crossed my mind... "do not forget about that being on there"

Guest eLJay

I think it's just contacts really, not sure what else, i disabled the Orange backup and also the google sync... I am a tool :ph34r:

I'm so gutted :( I rang the phone and the ringtone didn't play, i'm sure it wasn't on silent though so i guess the speaker is goosed also.

Probably safer to let your toddler play with your phone. Have a go with MobileGo to get a backup, you don't have to switch the USB on with the phone as it uses ADB, I think it should work as the PC software does the work. Should work as long as it boots into the OS even if you can't see it.

Keep me updated if you do as it would be useful to know.

As above the G300 is cheaper and is an amazing device,it beats the skate in every area apart from the obvious smaller screen which is hardly noticeable.

Now I have the G300 I wish I got it sooner.One thing that is really good is battery life and it has quick charge,which means you can go from say 25% battery to 70% in the time it takes to take a shower or have a lunch break,etc.

Not to discourage those that have the skate,as its still a great device for the money,but as you are in this situation it is better to pay less for a device that has much more to offer.

Edited by Guest