Earphones problem

Guest kyan31

Guest kyan31

When I use earphones in the G300, the phone assumes there is a microphone even when there isn't one. This means when I have earphones plugged in without a mic, and I can't use voice search, and or any other voice related apps. Im guessing that means I can't call people either unless I use earphones with a microphone.

Is there anyway to stop this happening. Maybe there is an app or something? It really annoys me when I forget to bring earphones with a microphone.

Guest Rednose01

I would like to know how to fix this too. Didnt hapen on my previous Android, if i was listening to media and a call came through,i could simply start talking into the phone mic whitout removing my headphones, now i have to unplug them for the other person to hear me.

• 3 months later...
Guest Justinrog

Has anyone managed to solve this?

I want to use the g300 with my in-car aux cable and the internal microphone will not work at all with the aux cable plugged in.

I bought a Belkin Headphone Adaptor with Microphone as a solution, but this just will not work with the g300 either. Tried dialler and sound recorder. The Belkin adaptor works fine with three other handsets from different manufacturers. The g300 does work using the boxed headphones and mic though, so its not the handset either.

Does the g300 have a different jack configuration, which may explain why this microphone does not work, which would mean none of the standard headsets would work?

Has anyone got a third-party headphones and mic working with the g300?

Without this working I can't use it hands-free in the car. I'm not fond of bluetooth solutions because of the charging issues and leaving expensive bluetooth units in the car at all times.

Thanks,

J

Guest cutcutcut

I'm also interested to see if 3rd party heapdphones with mic would work. I was looking at some ultimate ears with mic and volume control. I'm guessing the volume control won't work but the mic might?

Guest Justinrog

Thanks.

That looks good, I will try that one. The Belkin one I have is very similar and the jack looks identical. Still have no idea why it doesn't work with the G300, however, it works fine with other phones.

The connector might be slightly thinner than the included headphones. I guess the G300 is just more sensitive when it comes to picking up certain microphones. I'm wondering whether getting a jack extension might work. Still don't know if its the plug or the microphone itself.

J

Guest popoyaya

This works for me http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

Or you could use a splitter to use separate headphones and mic with two 3.5mm jacks http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2661

Although it says for iphone on the listings both will work perfectly well with the G300

That could explain it, as iPhone connectors have certain pins reversed compared to most android phones. The G300 must have the iPhone configuration.

Guest Hogweed

I use cheap earphones with mic sold for the iphone all the time on my G300 when I am out and about. I'm always getting them caught up in something and they break very easily but as replacements are less than £1.50 on ebay including postage, I have a few spares bought in advance.

When listening at home I will usually plug in much better headphones via the cable with the built in clip on mic (the one from my first ebay link above) so that I can answer the phone if it rings without unplugging.

One thing I have noticed is that if I plug in phones/mic while music is playing the mic is sometimes not noticed so I always plug in when nothing is playing and I am on a launcher home screen. I then press "Voice Search" and check that it hears me as it would be very annoying to find out it didn't when trying to answer a call.

On all the combinations I have tried I find that everything works as expected as long as I follow the above procedure. Button on lead to answer calls works and it also works for pausing/resuming/skipping tracks in music players

Guest Justinrog

The Belkin adaptor w/ mic works fine on my iPhone 3GS but it does not work on the G300, so for that one its not as easy as iPhone accessories just working.

All actual headphones with microphone I have tried work (Samsung, G300). It is just this Belkin adaptor that doesn't work. I also plug it in on the home screen with nothing else playing. Headphones w/ mic work, this adaptor just will not get picked up.

The adaptor though works fine on every other phone I have tried...its very strange...

J

Guest Hogweed

The Belkin adaptor w/ mic works fine on my iPhone 3GS but it does not work on the G300, so for that one its not as easy as iPhone accessories just working.

All actual headphones with microphone I have tried work (Samsung, G300). It is just this Belkin adaptor that doesn't work. I also plug it in on the home screen with nothing else playing. Headphones w/ mic work, this adaptor just will not get picked up.

The adaptor though works fine on every other phone I have tried...its very strange...

J

I'd suspect the mic you are plugging into the Belkin splitter might be what the G300 isn't happy with. Unless the splitter is expensive and trying to be clever all it will do is electrically connect the appropriate pins to the correct connectors on the split outputs.

What's the Belkin part no/description?

Guest kyan31
Its to do with 4pin vs 3pin. The 3rd pin shorts out the mic band and so the phone assumes you have a mic. You need 4 pin headphones.

You must know a lot about headphones :P

Thanks for the advice, and I might buy some 4 pin ones of eBay right now!

Guest Justinrog

To follow on. Yeah, it's a 4-pin jack. :)

My unit is: Belkin Headphone Adapter with Microphone (Part # F8Z605cw) Link

It seems to be this particular unit that is affected with its compatibility on the G300. It has worked with every other phone I've tried it on. The G300 on the other hand has worked with other headphone and mic units.

I am just curious as to what it is that is killing the mic on this combo. Do not want to buy another unit and find out it doesn't work.

I suppose the safest way is to go with the adapter unit suggested above via eBay...

I appreciate all the help and suggestions and if anyone has any other ideas I am open to test them out.

Thanks,

J

Guest Hogweed

Best I can say is that the leads with the built in mic I listed above work perfectly for me. It's only £1.09 including postage from Hong Kong and my order arrived surprisingly quickly (just about a week but that was maybe exceptional). Build quality was surprisingly high as well. The remote control button works as well if you are wondering..

It should work for you. If it doesn't ask for a refund. But at worst lose £1.09 if it doesn't work (and it certainly works fine for me).

Edited by Hogweed