Inquiries

Guest Hisham.weshy

Guest Hisham.weshy

Hi,

I got the Skate device and it's really doing great. I've been an Iphone user, and the Skate is my first portal to Android.

Now i got 3 inqiures, I'd be grateful if someone can help,

1. I need to update to IceCream Sandw. but i'm still a beginner Androider, So is this available? and how it can be done?

2. I am experiencing a problem with my device, i notice it doesn't turn off the screen sometimes when i receive missed calls or MSGs and i have to turn it off my self.

3. Another problem is, when i start a phone call, the screen sometimes, doesn't turn off even after when i put it on my ears, and sometimes, it turns off suddenly -and still off- during the call and i become not able to hang the call out! I've solved it in some way through the "Accessibility" that i hang out -not through touch- but manually through the power button. So is this a hardware bug or what?

I am happy there's such Forum for the device, i thought i am alone in the worLd!

Thanks mates.

Edited by Hisham.weshy

Guest razzmataz1478

1. Ice Cream Sandwich roms are as follows:

ColdFusionX

MIUIFusionX

AOSPFusionX

AOKPFusionX

2. Not too sure about that

3. You need to calibrate the proximity sensor

Type in dialler *983*0#

Guest Hisham.weshy

1. Ice Cream Sandwich roms are as follows:

ColdFusionX

MIUIFusionX

AOSPFusionX

AOKPFusionX

2. Not too sure about that

3. You need to calibrate the proximity sensor

Type in dialler *983*0#

Thanks pal. This magical code solved #3 and probably #2 [also].

I'm still a beginner, and i'm afraid to update somehow wrongly then i lose my device. So how can i do? and is it safe and official to update to icecream or is it hacked or what [coz i dun understand] ?

Another issue is, the internal memory, the most annoying problem in the device. What do you do guys when you got only 80 MB while you need to install 10 GB apps and games ?? so depressing me. Any solution?

Edited by Hisham.weshy

Guest Redstarr1

The update to ICS is not official at all. Actually there are no official updates for OMC/ZTE Skate. It is safe though (no one here has actually broken their phone by flashing a rom), and if you don't like it you can always go back to stock rom. Keep in mind though that with ICS you lose some features:

- no Adobe Flash

- no camera flash

- video recording can be choppy and shows some lines

- less memory because the rom is bigger

- typing in a browser window is laggy

BUT ICS feels much more fluent when using overall, so I'd recommend it, just know that there still are issues (which will probably never get fixed). So if you feel that you can't live without a camera flash, don't upgrade, take a Gingerbread rom (like AtomicMod or H3 Blues instead). I think the advantages of ICS outweigh the disadvantages but that's my opinion. I think ColdFusionX is the most stable ICS-rom at the moment. AOKP and MIUI are not supported anymore and AOSP is still very experimental.

If you want to proceed flashing an ICS-rom, there some very good guides you should read: http://www.modaco.com/topic/349541-faq-rooting-for-beginners-updated-26-02-12/

That guide has everything you need. For ICS you should also have a TPT with a system partition of at least 200MB, but if you follow the previos guide you will TPT at some point, so you know what to choose then.

About the internal memory, when you have flashed a custom rom (or gained root access if you stay on stock), you can link all apps to your sd-card with Link2SD: http://www.modaco.com/topic/346620-link2sd-guide-updated-please-read/. That way your internal memory won't limit the amount of apps you can install. Keep in mind that you have to link your apps, not move them.

That way you'll have tons of space for apps (your phone will reboot slower if you install more apps though).

Guest Josh92

Great posts from Razz and Red, definitely make use of LINK2SD, huge improvement.

It's not official, and there never will be an official one, but they are smoother than stock roms and battery is good. EASILY worth doing.

A lot of people here are using the ColdFusionX rom so I'd recommend giving that a go as explained by Red :)

Guest chocoholic23

for the screen not going off, i think maybe your screen timeout value has changed. Goto settings---> display---> screen timeout and assign a new value. maybe this will solve the problem