OMC - low volume with non stock-based ROMs

Guest gavin.19

Guest gavin.19

Picked up an Orange Monte Carlo (UK) a few days back and got straight into modding it. On stock, pre-modding, the sound was fine. Not deafening, but plenty loud enough. I then went through the whole rooting business and decided to flash CM 7.2 RC3. Everything went well and I now had 200 more options to play with. Only problem being that the overall sound was lower. First I noticed in a phone call when I had to use the (loud)speaker just so I could (barely) hear the person, then it was the same with the (several different) media and music players. It sounds like the volume is capped at ~50% of the stock level. Yes I could bump it up a bit by using the DSP, but it was still not ideal as that seemed to be artificial and caused some distortion.

So I then alternately went through 3 CM-based ROMs (CM 7.2, CM9, Ice Armor 3), and 3 stock-based ones (Skatie, Elitemovil, Atomic). All the CM ROMs have the same crippled volume levels, while the stock-based ones all sound loud and clear. I even went back to the OUK stock ROM and it was fine.

Is this to do with something CM changes that causes the volume to dip, or is it just a coincidence? Ideally I'd like to stick on CM9 as it's ICS, but not while the sound is this low.

I did try a few volume-increasing apps but they only made it a bit louder (and a bit distorted), still not up to stock levels.

Any ideas? Cheers.

Guest Redstarr1

I think it has to do with Dolby. Skatie and Atomic have Dolby, CM-roms don't. Though I don't think Elitemovil has Dolby either. Anyway that's a known issue with CM roms. I like it that way because I often wear headphones and it's safer for me that I can't put them too loud. You can up the volume a bit with the DSP Settings app, but the sound quality goes down a bit (like you said yourself with third party apps).

Guest gavin.19

I think it has to do with Dolby. Skatie and Atomic have Dolby, CM-roms don't. Though I don't think Elitemovil has Dolby either.

Yeah, it was H3 (H3ROS), not Elitemovil, I wrote the wrong one down. Seems you're right, it is only the ROMs with Dolby that have decent sound. My daughter has a low-end Blackberry, and the sound volume/quality embarasses my Skate + ColdFusionX (ICS). Such a shame too, it's really smooth. Until someone finds a better way to improve the sound then I'll stick with Atomic.

Thanks for the input.

Guest C3C0

I wonder where to look. Some devs make changes at kernel level to improve sound in CM but it doesn't make sense to me because all Roms based on stock 2.3.5 (without Dolby) give better sound using the same kernel. So this makes me think there's something at rom level (libaudio?) where the difference is.

Guest C3C0

This is still a quick hack that needs further investigations. There's also AudioFilter.csv in system/etc which I believe could be tweaked for some better results. But I have no clue at the moment what all those values there mean and what would be the suitable configuration for skate board.

Guest C3C0

OK. New update :)

I modified libmedia to shift volume logarithmic scale a bit to the left so that the volume levels are distributed

more even across the whole volume interval. This means I achieved higher volume on lower levels.

That allowed me to lower the boost in kernel to eliminate distortion.

I am quite satisfied with the results.

Since new update contains apart from kernel also new libmedia.so it might not work on older versions of CM7 ROMs.

I tested it only on MoKeeOS and CM7.2 RC3. Definitely better than the original sound levels.

New flashable update: http://tinyw.in/XoUh

Guest gavin.19

Definitely better sound at lower levels and it's now much louder at the top end. I find about 75% is sufficient now. Great stuff!

The only minor issue is that the volume changes don't seem to have changed the call volume levels. I almost always use loud speaker anyway so it's not a big deal.

Thanks again.

Guest John W

Hi,

Having proximity sensor issues on an OMC with a TSL2771 Proximity sensor in it. On AtomicMod and similar roms then the fix here works fine by changing the /data/misc/prox file to different calibration values.

However on this rom, that prox calibration file is missing, and creating it with the atomicmod compatible values doesn't have any effect.

Does anyone know how to get a working proximity sensor on phones with the TAOS TSL2771 please?