Advantages to using an ICS ROM over 2.3.x?

Guest gavin.19

Guest gavin.19

I've had my Skate about a week now and I've pretty much tried every ROM. I came full circle back to CM7 7.2 as it seemed to have 'everything'. I almost settled on ColdFusionX until I realised

- Choppy video playback

- Choppy HQ Youtube

- No Flash support

- No camera flash

- No Dolby/Bravia

- No FM radio

There may be others, feel free to point them out.

ICS uses more resources too so it (for me) didn't feel as sharp. I pretty much always use the latest builds of any software I use, but in this case I felt I was sacrificing too much, just so I could say I was running ICS, even on a low-end phone.

So why are people using ICS? Are there actual advantages that make it worth sacrificing the features I listed?

Cheers.

Edited by gavin.19

Guest Josh92

I find CFX to be pretty similar performance wise to GB, but you make a fair point, reason I choose CFX is mostly down to just I find ICS in general is so much nicer than GB and has some small, but very useful features.

Also knowing Tilal is always looking to improve on it until he states otherwise is always good to know.

To me all the things ICS brings from GB is worth losing those features which may even return at some stage, but can totally see why people may find GB a better option.

Guest C3C0

I'm sharing the same opinion. I only wish that GB had also full gpu rendering e.g. to make browser as smooth as it is in ICS. It would be perfect then...

Guest Ipecac9

Add overexposed camera to that list. I'm not saying tilal is doing a bad job, he has done so much good, but I'm beginning to realize that Gingerbread is what this device is optimized for...

Guest Redstarr1

The basic Google apps are a bit better on ICS I think. Like the mail app, I didn't use it on GB, but I do on ICS. Disadvantage is that it sometimes fails to show mails. Contacts is also a bit more fancy, some more handy features. The browser is a LOT better, as is the image browser.

The multitasking is another pro for ICS. You can use a taskmanager on GB, but it's still not as easy to switch apps. It's also much easier to manage your apps in general, without 3rd party apps, you can uninstall from the app drawer now (although some GB launchers do that as well).

It's all down to your personal opinion. I think if you browse often and you don't watch a lot of YouTube movies, the pros outweigh the cons. It takes some time to notice all the small additions. But if you want everything working that came with the phone you're better off on a 2.3.5 rom.

Guest davidloweruk

ive tried most of the roms and at the mo i fi CM7.2 RC3 runs the best on the skat but im think an iICS ROM for the skate will become the best to use on the skate when most of the bugs are fix has the ICS ROMS have got so much better since 2011 and its now mid 2012 cams now working and so much more has got better with the ICS ROMS FOR THE SKATE AND THEY WILL BECOME BETTER ..I have one skate running latest cm9 ics and one on cm7.2 rc3 at mo

Guest rangeoshun

I can play a full 700 mb divX movie on my phone thats quite enough for me. I never used the cam-flash, coz it sucks. Flash on a phone like this is almost for the advertisements on the pages, and I'm happy with out them. Maybe Youtube HQ could give me benefits, but I'm not really into it, I like to read more. So it's metter of your needs :)

Guest aamiel

For me, the real problem, CM9 or CM7 is that the app I am used to (and haven't found a replacement for: GPS essentials) can't work its compass properly. Stock GB is fine though but I have to admit that CM9 is very nice.

Guest John Matrix

For me 4.0 isn't stable otherwise i would use it , it looks great and it run great, but i rly hate opening my phone and removing battery so i swiched back to stock.

Guest Josh92

For me 4.0 isn't stable otherwise i would use it , it looks great and it run great, but i rly hate opening my phone and removing battery so i swiched back to stock.

Once the rom is running properly I near enough NEVER have it crash, certainly don't need to remove the battery. This is on CFX, what ROM were you using?

PS: You went back to stock? Why? Plenty of far better GB custom roms on here.

Guest unomesmo

Add FM Radio to the list.

This is not an impresidible function but, if you practice running or cycling.. you will miss it a lot..

Edited by unomesmo

Guest ukgnome

Speed - looks - battery life - all the big pluses for ICS

FM radio is a very minor niggle, but do what I do - download loads of podcasts or ebooks

As for its stability - absolutely no issues, although I wish I had used a different TPT as the 2mb that I have left in system is a bit tight (but only because I like to integrate any system apps updates.

Guest Ali Zain

Finally after so many hype, I decided to switch to ics.. but switched back to cm 7.2 in 2 hours. Reasons being what are already listed above. It was good looking no doubt. But I really cant live without flash and laggy youtube

Edited by Ali Zain

Guest vw.cobra

I've never had an issue with MMS.

I have problem with mms in all ROM ICS... Don´t function. :(

Edited by vw.cobra