Difference Between Huawei B888 and Gr1 B888

Guest RussellS

Guest RussellS

I am currently on the Huawei B888 rom and was wondering what the difference is between that and Paul's Gr1 B888 rom. What exactly does Deodexed-Updated-Optimised actually mean.

What are the benefits, what are the drawbacks and what are the differences in actual use day to day.

The reason I'm asking is that I have just got my second G300 to replace my wifes HTC Wildfire and am wondering what rom to install.

Thanks

Guest Davidoff59

I think odexed roms are faster booting up and can't be easily themed.

The update would be to close the security loophole that Paul found in the original rom.

The optimisation would be for faster GPS lock, faster internet etc.

People will argue in favour of either but most custom roms are deodexed nowadays.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-roms/145961-odexed-vs-deodexed.html

www.addictivetips.com/mobile/what-is-odex-and-deodex-in-android-complete-guide/

Please note I have not yet used Paul's rom so this is just my take on it.

Yeah I forgot about the security hole is that not fixed in the B888 rom then ? If not,with that in mind it would be best to use Gr1 or Kiri.

Guest RussellS

Ok, thanks for all the replies.

As I already have CWM on mine and I've done a Nandroid backup I will give the Gr1 B888 rom a try on that before going any further with the new phone.

Thanks again.

Guest RussellS

Right, I've installed Gr1 B888 on my phone and everything is fine. However, I have just done the same to the new phone and I have a small anomaly.

Firstly, my original phone was running the Huawei B888 rom which I updated using the menu item 'SD Card Upgrade' followed by the vendor file. I have since then installed CWM and then installed Pauls Gr1 B888 and everything is fine and when I boot the phone up I get the 'Huawei Ascend' boot animation.

With the second G300, I did the OTA update to B885 and then installed CWM and then installed Pauls Gr1 B888. Everything is working fine but when I boot up the phone I no longer get the 'Huawei Ascend' boot animation but I get the default 'ANDROID' boot logo with the light shimmering across it.

How can I get the 'Huawei Ascend' boot animation back on the second phone and why has it disappeared whereas it was present on the first phone. The only difference seems to be that I started on B888 on the first phone but started from B885 on the second one.

I get default android bootanimation as well.

To get it back put the bootanimation in system/media and change permissions to 644.

You should be able to find the animation in cust/normal/europe/media.The permissions will most likely already be set if you take it from this location,so just copy and paste to the first path I said.

Edited by Guest

Guest RussellS

I get default android bootanimation as well.

To get it back put the bootanimation in system/media and change permissions to 644.

You should be able to find the animation in cust/normal/europe/media.The permissions will most likely already be set if you take it from this location,so just copy and paste to the first path I said.

Ok, thanks for that. I need a little help though.

How do I access the 'cust/normal/media' and 'system/media'. If I connect the phone to my PC I can't see them.

I know when you tell me I'm going to kick myself

Use a root explorer app such as es file manager(need to tick root in settings with this app)

Now with whatever root file manager you use,go to cust/normal/europe/media where you will see bootanimation.zip and copy/move it to system/media

Now reboot and enjoy.

Edited by Guest