The San Diego hacking topic - root progress etc.

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest glossywhite

Paul, could you please reboot the San Diego with the camera button held, connect it to Linux, and do "lsusb", and post the VID and PID please? Also, could you do "lsusb" in normal mode, and also recovery mode, and post those too? If anyone else sees this, could you do that also?

For those unfamiliar with "lsusb", it basically lists all connected USB devices, in Linux, on the terminal, in this format:

matt@matt-acer-i3:~$ lsusb

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0471:0823 Philips (or NXP)

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0409:0058 NEC Corp. HighSpeed Hub

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0518:0001 EzKEY Corp. USB to PS2 Adaptor v1.09

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 045e:0772 Microsoft Corp.

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0d8c:0103 C-Media Electronics, Inc. CM102-A+/102S+ Audio Controller

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Rem1x

Paul, could you please reboot the San Diego with the camera button held, connect it to Linux, and do "lsusb", and post the VID and PID please? Also, could you do "lsusb" in normal mode, and also recovery mode, and post those too? If anyone else sees this, could you do that also?

For those unfamiliar with "lsusb", it basically lists all connected USB devices, in Linux, on the terminal, in this format:

matt@matt-acer-i3:~$ lsusb

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0471:0823 Philips (or NXP)

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0409:0058 NEC Corp. HighSpeed Hub

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0518:0001 EzKEY Corp. USB to PS2 Adaptor v1.09

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 045e:0772 Microsoft Corp.

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0d8c:0103 C-Media Electronics, Inc. CM102-A+/102S+ Audio Controller

If I can get my Linux partition to boot, I'll get you some results pretty quick!

Guest glossywhite

So, recovery, fastboot, and normal all the same - 8087:09f2

I can't get my phone to go in to MEDFIELD mode, though.

Thank you, though.

Paul? ...

Yeah... when we get VID & PID

Sorry to be a noob,but what is VID & PID and what will it mean when you get them ?

Edited by Guest

Guest glossywhite

Sorry to be a noob,but what is VID & PID and what will it mean when you get them ?

VID = Vendor ID. PID = Product ID. They are how USB identifies attached devices.

What will I do with them? Who knows... a lot of net sleuthing I suppose ;)

Guest Rem1x

brb, going to get that Medfield stuff.

8086:e0004

Side Notes: Plug USB in while holding camera. Also the vid/pid don't appear to be much use in google.

Edited by Rem1x

Guest the juggernaut

getting closer :D if we​ can crack this we are in business and just think how well it will run stock ics in comparison to the OMC wich runs it well but not pirfictly not bad to say ARM v6 isn't men't to run it but still

Guest Rem1x

getting closer :D if we​ can crack this we are in business and just think how well it will run stock ics in comparison to the OMC wich runs it well but not pirfictly not bad to say ARM v6 isn't men't to run it but still

Oh, it'll run ICS impressively. But don't take getting VID/PID as getting close, that's just like reading the back of your orange juice and finding out the oranges were made in Florida :P

Guest glossywhite

Oh, it'll run ICS impressively. But don't take getting VID/PID as getting close, that's just like reading the back of your orange juice and finding out the oranges were made in Florida :P

Is that ORANGE part supposed to rub our faces in it? haha! :D

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Rem1x

If this is cracked it will be like the blade again,only this time in hyperdrive......or should I say hyperthreading :lol:

This made me giggle like the little nerd I am at heart :P

Guest spences10

Yeah... when we get VID & PID :P

You can get vendor ID and product ID via adb right? Vendor ID is in the main post anyway you need to add that to the usb_host.ini file for adb to work

Guest spences10

Does anyone know of any Intel software specifically for flashing stuff to the device (rather than using fastboot)?

I'm thinking like the Odin software or Samsung devices....

Perhaps something like this is useful?:

http://download.inte...BLDK/325925.pdf

There's some documentation around saying they use kboot

http://goo.gl/Qca7p

http://goo.gl/DBwNh

I was searching from the moment I got the San Diego to about two weeks later when I got fed up with reaching out to the community for help, my SD is now on eBay waiting for someone who wants a phone that atm doesn't have root

Edited by spences10

Guest PaulOBrien

I have a kboot.bin file which can be flashed from the phone, but only if you have root. I don't have a PC based kboot flasher.

P

Guest unrandomsam

Agreeing to disagree with you on that point. Don't forget that Intel NEED to be able to make a profit from whom they're selling their devices to. As seen with the OSF with people buying the phone then unlocking it and carrying on to another network, Orange might have had the sales pitch on the phones going up but the gain from people using their network dropped. Therefore they probably did specifically tell Intel to do as much as possible to prevent the phone from being rootable/unlocked, thus giving a higher chance that customers use the Orange services that did probably cost a bit to produce.... And they get to make a bigger profit.

I'm only guessing this and it may just appear I'm chatting out of my backside. Though looking at the site now, there are no original OSFs in stock (probably because they're rather out of date... but still!)

Sorry I can't be of any actual help :/ I understand most of what you're saying Paul, but somethings just sound like you're speaking Spanish

Intel don't need profit they need market share. (Once they get that then they can start using the latest processes and beat arm in terms of performance simply due to having the smaller gate sise. Remember this is 32nm but Intel can now do 22nm).

Guest zac206

Hi guys! I was reading this thread because I have an Orange San Diego (or Orange avec Intel Inside more to be precise), and just got it unlocked from Orange (for free, they messed up and didn't ask me to pay!), so now, next step would be to root it. I can see that it will not be that easy, if I can do anything, I'm willing to try.

One thing I noticed, is that many mention installing ICS when they get the bootloader unlocked. I'm not totally sure that this would be possible: The android Intel is using has been compiled for x86 processor, and not ARM as all other smartphones. Taking some other phone's ROM will probably not work. To make the applications work on the SD, they have developed and ARM emulator, so as we can use most of google play apps They probably want to ensure a full (or fullest possible) compatibility of apps with ICS, before releasing it.

Anyway, I'm more than happy with my SD, it's an amazing device, especially considering the price!

And again, if there is anything I can help on, I can try :)

Guest glossywhite

Hi guys! I was reading this thread because I have an Orange San Diego (or Orange avec Intel Inside more to be precise), and just got it unlocked from Orange (for free, they messed up and didn't ask me to pay!), so now, next step would be to root it. I can see that it will not be that easy, if I can do anything, I'm willing to try.

One thing I noticed, is that many mention installing ICS when they get the bootloader unlocked. I'm not totally sure that this would be possible: The android Intel is using has been compiled for x86 processor, and not ARM as all other smartphones. Taking some other phone's ROM will probably not work. To make the applications work on the SD, they have developed and ARM emulator, so as we can use most of google play apps They probably want to ensure a full (or fullest possible) compatibility of apps with ICS, before releasing it.

Anyway, I'm more than happy with my SD, it's an amazing device, especially considering the price!

And again, if there is anything I can help on, I can try :)

haha! Classic mistake. Orange FAIL.

You could donate, if you like; maybe we can join forces :)

Edited by glossywhite