Loads of ZTE phones announced...

Guest Frankish

Guest Frankish

There seems to be tons of ZTE phones announced I keep seeing them on my Twitter but...where are they? Seems to be nothing for the UK. They are being left way behind.

Guest Redstarr1

ZTE is quite notorious for showing phones that are far from finished. It's not the UK that's lagging behind, it's just ZTE that's showing unfinished prototypes. And by comparison with the UK, Belgium is lagging even more behind. The shops still dare ask 500€ for a SGSII, they just sell the SGSIII for 650 now.

Edited by Redstarr1

Guest WiiSky70

ZTE is quite notorious for showing phones that are far from finished. It's not the UK that's lagging behind, it's just ZTE that's showing unfinished prototypes. And by comparison with the UK, Belgium is lagging even more behind. The shops still dare ask 500€ for a SGSII, they just sell the SGSIII for 650 now.

But they need to innovate in the Market , they are competting .

They need to show unfinished prototypes to give people ideas to buy it.

Guest Redstarr1

I'd agree with you about innovation, but the last ZTE phone that was released in Europe (in big numbers) is this Skate. That's a year ago, I wouldn't say ZTE is innovating a lot. Apple can have so few models and only make high-end phones, but ZTE makes budget phones. You can't innovate without making an actual product.

You don't see Samsung/HTC/Sony/Motorola doing stuff like this. When they show a phone, it's in the shops a few months later. ZTE is trying to compete in a league where they don't belong. It's about time they show a phone they can actually make and sell. I thought they wanted to break through as a retail manufacturer, but they're still completely depending on providers picking up their designs (like Orange and the OMC, but bad luck they picked the San Diego next).

It's a bit far-fetched to expect a company that last made an ARMv6 phone to come up with a quadcore next...

I'm loving my Skate, but I think it'll be the only ZTE phone I'll ever buy unless they have a good budget phone by the time it's ready to replace my Skate.

Guest tillaz

You don't see Samsung/HTC/Sony/Motorola doing stuff like this. When they show a phone, it's in the shops a few months later. ZTE is trying to compete in a league where they don't belong. It's about time they show a phone they can actually make and sell. I thought they wanted to break through as a retail manufacturer, but they're still completely depending on providers picking up their designs (like Orange and the OMC, but bad luck they picked the San Diego next).

It's a bit far-fetched to expect a company that last made an ARMv6 phone to come up with a quadcore next...

lol, zte is the 4th largest mobile phone manufacture in the world....

they sell more than Apple, HTC, Sony, Motorola & huawei....

http://www.gsmarena....r-news-3331.php

there obviously doing something right...

they still say Q2 release for the newly named grand x (mimosa x) & grand era (zte era)

so expect them any time now till the end of July.

Guest hecatae

Last zte device released was the Tania.

Orange Dublin has been spotted aka zte skate kis, I'm keeping an eye on bluetooth sig and fcc for breakthrough

Guest Redstarr1

Oh yeah you're right about the Tania, forgot about that. Okay that makes 1 phone extra :P, still not a lot. The Orange Dublin isn't really an upgrade from Skate though. So it still kinda remains their best phone yet.

@Tillaz: they've got that position because they sell most of their product in China and what they sell outside of China is mostly branded by providers. That graph is about mobile phones, so not just smartphones (which is why Nokia is on top). I don't think that on a graph with only smartphones ZTE will be up that high. It's what I said: they want to break through as retail manufacturers, but they've barely sold any independent models. I'm not holding my breath for the Grand X anytime soon. Last stuff I read about it is that it's for 3rd quarter.

But anyway when the Grand X is for sale here, I'll admit being wrong :). Anyway my point was that ZTE shows phones way ahead of being finished, it's not good to build up anticipation more than half a year before the phone is sold. Other manufacturers show phones they're going to make in the next month. It's kind of cheating, if Samsung were to show their prototypes that long in advance, they would also blow your mind.

Guest tillaz

Oh yeah you're right about the Tania, forgot about that. Okay that makes 1 phone extra x53bAAAAAASUVORK5CYII=, still not a lot. The Orange Dublin isn't really an upgrade from Skate though. So it still kinda remains their best phone yet.

@Tillaz: they've got that position because they sell most of their product in China and what they sell outside of China is mostly branded by providers. That graph is about mobile phones, so not just smartphones (which is why Nokia is on top). I don't think that on a graph with only smartphones ZTE will be up that high. It's what I said: they want to break through as retail manufacturers, but they've barely sold any independent models. I'm not holding my breath for the Grand X anytime soon. Last stuff I read about it is that it's for 3rd quarter.

But anyway when the Grand X is for sale here, I'll admit being wrong 3b8Apz1nhT0ICJTAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC. Anyway my point was that ZTE shows phones way ahead of being finished, it's not good to build up anticipation more than half a year before the phone is sold. Other manufacturers show phones they're going to make in the next month. It's kind of cheating, if Samsung were to show their prototypes that long in advance, they would also blow your mind.

checkout zte at communicAsia 2012 yesterday, they say the grand series of devices are releasing Q2.

also, i think they sell more smartphons than anything else... check there website, cant see many standard phones

the zte skate alone has 4 or 5 different versions world wide...

i think the zte skate & zte blade got them in that position

best thing about zte devices is the fact they always have good community's and offer low prices,

but i must admit the long wait to pick these new smartphones up is annoying, and could be loosing them customers...

Guest Sebastian404

I'd agree with you about innovation, but the last ZTE phone that was released in Europe (in big numbers) is this Skate. That's a year ago.

The Blade2 came out at the end of last year, there was the Arthur (Boost Mobile Warp) and Roamer (AT&T Avail) in the US around the same time, and the ZTE Tania was fairly recent....

Guest crnadakm

They just need to create an Apple-like event and they will sell :D

Making hype is everything. Also they need to start selling their phones to stores.

I don't know what is the situation in EU but in my country and in noughbouring countries it is impossible to buy ZTE except in Serbia. Which offers it only via contract!

Edited by crnadakm

Guest Sebastian404

The grand x is just the mimosa x right?

And I thought it was currently mobile Asia expo not communicasia?

Yes I believe its been renamed...

Unless its the CDMA version with a different name... Christ knows what ZTE are thinking when it comes to naming

Guest tillaz

The grand x is just the mimosa x right?

And I thought it was currently mobile Asia expo not communicasia?

communicAsia 2012 is on now, this is where they anounced the zte grand series

http://www.uberphone...municasia-2012/

here is a summary of the event

http://www.mobile88.com/news/read.asp?file=/2012/6/21/20120621153109&phone=communicasia-2012-summary