Damaging phone with hard resets?

Guest alkis_y3k

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gmcewen

I ,UNFORTUNATELY WORK AT ORANGE CUSTOMER SERVICES.I SPEAK WITH TECH SUPPORT REGULARLY,AND THEY SAY A HARD RESET IS NOT A GOOD IDEA!!,BECAUSE THE TELEPHONY IS ORANGE AND THE REST OF THE SOFTWARE MICROSOFT THEY TELL ME THIS CAUSES PROBLEMS AND THEY DO NOT HARMONISE 100% AFTER RESET.I HAVE NO EVIDENCE TO BACK THIS UP,SO I SUPPOSE ITS JUST FEEDBACK WHICH IS GOOD DON'T U THINK? :

Guest HelloDave

PLEASE DON'T SHOUT! Your keyboard has a little key marked "Caps Lock" for a reason. Having readable posts is always a "good thing"! :)

I've never heard any stories of hard resets damaging SPVs, and I can't see why they would. If one reset has problems (though that only ever seems to happen if you're trying to decert too) just try again until it works! A hard reset doesn't touch the telephony part of the phone's ROM, or the operating system, so i'm not quite sure what gmcewen is on about (actually i'm not sure what he's on about full stop - might have to get a translation :wink:). I've hard reset my SPV a few times and never had a problem - it's just like re installing Windows really.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

If gmcewen is serious and it isn't just someone taking the mick, then unfortunately this really does say it all about OCS. Yes there are some that visit this board to try and get on top of the current SPV scene and yes OCSR's should not be expected to have in depth knowledge of each and every phone on the orange network, but if the above is the attitude and knowledge depth of OCSR's then there doesn't really seem to be any point calling them for technical help and there never ~will~ be any point.

No flame, just the feeling i get from conversations to 15x backup by the above post. :)

I dont see how damage could occur, orange issue updates that effectively conduct a hard reset, they have also sugested you do a hard reset when sending the phone back as its the most effective way to remove all your data!

Guest Tyrant_worm

Got to go with Monolithix on this one, there will be no harm done through erase IPSM, if you look at what it actually does, how can it?

Thinks someone's spinning you a yarn gmcewen. :)

Only damage that is likely to occur is "physical" damage to the flash ROM - these have a finite number of erase-write cycle and used to be around 100, but these days, they are generally good for at least 100,000 cycles, but more commonly 1,000,000 cycles! Of course, this all depends on the flash used, but I kinda hope the O have chosen a half decent one!

As far as the software is concerned, the "images" for the telephony and os are left intact by the hard reset, with them being installed fresh immediately after the reset.

Hate to say it gmcewen, but someone's been telling you porky's. I'd suggest that you wander round the technical department and look for the person with the longest nose :)

Hax

Guest slowphones

Unfortunately there is a problem with hard resets due basically to hax's explanation. There is IPSM on top which hides a lot of writes from us and these in combination might cause your flash to fail earlier than the rest of the electronics... all that said i wouldn't worry about it unless your doing a hard reset really often? and why would you be doing that?