Are There Any Armv6 Phones Getting an Official ICS upgrade?

Guest razzmataz1478

Guest hugobosslives

not that i know of (and i have previously searched for the same question)

but there may be one out there that I have missed.

would be amazing if there was. tho i doubt any manufacturer would bother as there is no point from their point of view.

Guest razzmataz1478

Yeah I've looked around and it doesn't look like there is. In other words, combined with the fact that we won't get OpenMax, I think that it is now officially safe to say armv6 is dead.

Guest tillaz

im sure there is an 800mhz Arm6 device coming out this year that ships with ics...

look at all the phones announced at MWC 2012

or Google the above to try find some info

Guest razzmataz1478

Another thing is, do you get an armv7 device now, or wait for the new wave of phones with 64bit armv8, because I'm sure that Qualcomm are likely to announce some new SoC with this soon!? The mobile world is moving so fast that you just get confused!!

Guest Redstarr1

Another thing is, do you get an armv7 device now, or wait for the new wave of phones with 64bit armv8, because I'm sure that Qualcomm are likely to announce some new SoC with this soon!? The mobile world is moving so fast that you just get confused!!

I wouldn't wait for that. If ARM announces 64 bit socs (they've only announced the instruction set) it will be at least 2 years before there's a phone with such a soc and that would be a very high end one, not really a replacement for our cheap Skate :-). There's not even a phone with A15 soc now. And 64 bit is more useful for servers. The most RAM phones have right now is less than 2GB (more like 1GB).

I'd go for something with an A9 or skorpion dualcore when the prices for those devices go down.

Guest razzmataz1478

Hmmm. I'm going to try and get a year out of the skate but I want my next phone to LTE so hopefully there will be some cheapish chips with this.

Guest Redstarr1

Galaxy S III has 1GB of RAM. They're still a way from 4GB (the 32-bit limit), but at the rate it's going they'll get there soon enough.

Guest Redstarr1

I assumed you were talking about the European/Asian version. Don't really follow up on American models, it's going to be ages before there's LTE here (in Belgium) anyway.