Upgrading from G300 - thoughts?

Guest pritsey

Guest pritsey

I originally got the g300 as an interim phone inbetween my iphone4 dying and getting something else. That "something else" has yet to be decided, but what I'm really wondering is what kind of performance improvement I'd get with "something else". Hopefully you guys will be able to tell me!

I had considered the San Diego but that's off the list now. So, the handsets I'm considering are as follows:

Galaxy Nexus

Xperia S

Razr

All have either got ICS or will have it very very soon. All have dual core CPUs, all are around the £300ish mark.

Android has come on in leaps and bounds since I last used it (HTC hero - hated it!) and I'm also surprised at how good the g300 is for the money, not to mention Huawei themselves. So, what am I after? Decent speed, no lag going between apps, no lag typing, good browsing etc

What are your thoughts then? Nexus is due for jellybean by the looks of it, however not sure if this will be more of a minor upgrade from ICS than going from gingerbread to ICS.

What do you think if it was your cash and why?

Thanks!

Guest tillaz

And where is this Era? Not out yet and no release date,lol.

its due out Q2 so it could be any time now...

i would rather wait a little longer, than jumping in right now & getting a dual core phone that will be out dated in a months time lol

like i said though its just my opinion..

Guest Davidoff59

There is no info on release for either the Mimosa x or Era other than Q2. Is their plan to announce it and have it for sale on the same day? The only info out their is from Feb and I think its a pretty s*** way of handling a phone release.

Guest fr0do

Pretty disillusioned with ZTE after the crescent. They had enormous success with the blade but are throwing it away with bad marketing and meanness IMO.

Guest pritsey

I had seen some bits about the ZTE and the huawei P1, but as has been said, they aren't here yet!

So if you were to choose something available now, either from the 3 I listed it similar, which would it be and why? Also will I see a real performance increase in all areas?

Guest Mtman1

Morning,

Here's my opinions on the phones:

Xperia s: on paper, the fastest out the the 3, but only has an upgrade for ics.

Nexus: joint second fastest, and has a (literally) certian update to jellybean, but as its a Google phone, maybe even a later upgrade

Razr: joint second fastest, only has gingerbread, maybe an update to ics. Not really worth getting this one.

If you want speed, go 4 the xperia s, if you want the latest upgrade go for the nexus. I don't have a clue what the overclocking speeds are, so they might be the same speed overclocked.

I would go 4 the nexus

Edited by Mtman1

Guest tillaz

Is their plan to announce it and have it for sale on the same day? The only info out their is from Feb and I think its a pretty s*** way of handling a phone release.

that's how it was with the zte skate... orange never announced a release date, it was just available on there web site... i remember waiting,

it should be here before the end of July... i think some people will be wishing they had waited, when it releases 2 or 3 weeks after they buy something with half the power..

i think waiting a little longer is worth quad core tegra 3 for the same price...

but if i had to pick from those 3, i would go with the nexus..

Guest tillaz

that's how it was with the zte skate... orange never announced a release date, it was just available on there web site... i remember waiting,

it should be here before the end of July... i think some people will be wishing they had waited, when it releases 2 or 3 weeks after they buy something with half the power..

i think waiting a little longer is worth quad core tegra 3 for the same price...

but if i had to pick from those 3, i would go with the nexus..

i assume you mean the nexus prime.. since you say dual core

this might be helpful

Guest pritsey

Thanks - watched that video last night actually. The thing these performance videos don't show you is real world performance. Scrolling in the browser, typically an SMS, taking pics etc.

I played with the xperia in the shop and really liked it even when it was on gingerbread, but have read a few scare stories about battery life. The nexus seems the one to get, limited storage of course and possibly a grainy screen. Razr seems ok, specs seem decent anyway!

Or you could wait for some more intel powered devices,assuming they will not all be locked down like the OSD.

Intel know how to make processors far better and based on the performance of the 1.6Ghz intel atom single core,which outperforms some dual cores,I am a little excited as to what a dual core intel device will bring.Of course this is not good information for the OP who wants a device now I assume,but just my thoughts.

I see somewhere that the intel atom has some kind of turbo feature that can go up to 2Ghz,maybe wrong or misundertood on that info.I will see if I can find where I read it.....

here it is: http://www.modaco.co...or-information/

Edited by Guest

Guest TouchyAndalou

I'm also likely getting for the ZTE Era, provided the camera is significantly better than the ones on the Blade and the Skate.

Guest buckleheid

21.50 on o2 with an upfront payment of £79.99 i think

bit cheaper on other networks i think,but i really like o2 and 90% of my friends are on it

Guest pritsey

what about a samsung galaxy s2?i was considering one of these myself as a contract phone with my ascend as a backup

If I'm going for a new phone then I may as well get something with a better resolution than the S2 I think. A guy at work has the S2 and I'm not that impressed with it, especially how long it takes to take a photo on it.

Guest pritsey

I take loads of photos on my phones, so fairly big consideration for me. Also it has to be a quick camera, having young kids who don't sit still means that if you have a slow camera all your pics will be blurry!

Guest Davidoff59

Im pretty sure that I read that Intel only joined the smartphone market due to Qualcomm pushing their chips into Intel's market, ie computers. This is their way of fighting back. They are a bit late really.

Guest dbbloke

I REALLY would not bother with the phones listed as options, wait a bit, like 4 weeks or so.

ZTE era is showing up at £279 with shipping if you google it. So unless Orange comes through again with £199 or less I would stick with the G300 and stick on the Atomic ROM and wait for something really improved.

But if you must, the ZTE era of Ascend Quad depending on price.

I've got a ZTE Skate, LG 2X and G300. They all have their plusses (2x has twistable maps) and a nice camera/video mod but it has a plastic lens cover and often forgets it has an sdcard. The G300 remarkable battery life, works well and is smooth no complaints, The Skate with ICS is also super smooth and big screen, but a little slow on web pages.

Friends phones and from playing in shops, SGS2, SGS3, HTC X - NONE seem a huge leap forward, especially considering their inflated prices.

I think I'm going to see how an ICS G300 is, save some cash and wait for a nice Sony HDR sensor to appear on a phone. So about another year wait.

You could always flog the G300 and get a dual core ZTE Mimosa X or something which on Orange will probably be Skate money £120-130? Interesting modem included.

Also, Google will shortly release a tablet at I/O for £149, so the phone suddenly needs to do much less than before - ie web surfing and you suddenly need 149 quid in your pocket :)

Edited by dbbloke

Guest tillaz

ZTE era is showing up at £279 with shipping if you google it. So unless Orange comes through again with £199 or less I would stick with the G300

that link changes all the time.. at one point it said £239.99 if you click on it it shows £0.00

most places on the net are also saying the zte era is expected in July, only a week or so away?

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=3399&view=1&c=zte_grand_era

Guest pritsey

The era does look good, but who knows when it will really be available...same with the mimosa too. Even if they are announced as shipping from the supplier it'll take a while to filter through, and these things were announced months ago!

At the moment I'm leaning towards the razr, quite like the look of ICS on it, barely messed with, no Motoblur and a quick camera to boot.

Guest tillaz

The era does look good, but who knows when it will really be available...same with the mimosa too. Even if they are announced as shipping from the supplier it'll take a while to filter through, and these things were announced months ago!

At the moment I'm leaning towards the razr, quite like the look of ICS on it, barely messed with, no Motoblur and a quick camera to boot.

i would get the droid razr maxx if its near the same price, its battery is huge (3300mAh) and looks a little better

Guest weckl

Another great option I discovered recently :

Zopo Zp300 : 1gb of RAM ! LG IPS HD screen (1280 x 720), ICS... for 163 pounds (255 dollar)

or even better :

keep in mind this model:

TCL-S900

http://www.yoybuy.co...ow/15039558469/

204 pounds (319 $) !!! Same specs as P1, freakin' dual core !! even better screen resolution (1280 x 720) than P1

Edited by weckl