Will Jelly Bean work on our Blades?

Guest xsound

Guest shmizan

what a weird video from Google.

they present us to their latest released OS version (ICS) which is not even installed on 8% of Android devices worldwide yet and just show us how slow it is.

JB aka Android 4.1 should have been Android's first version instead of giving us that trash they called donut eclair and froyo.

this brings me back to that thread on our Blade forum that said Android was still immature. and I'm sure even 4.1 is not on par with the iOS version first seen on 3GS

Guest rabaip

When I read about JellyBean a while ago, they said it was gonna be for tablets only, as a successor to Honeycomb and that many tablets will be sold dualbooting with Windows 8 and Jellybean. So that was all bollocks and now it's a slightly faster new version of ICS? What the hell is the point, not even half the capable phones are running ICS yet and now they are just gonna crap all over that and make ICS obsolete? Then some manufacturers will release JellyBean phones and forget updating old ones and android will get even more horribly fragmented then it already is. Sounds so incredibly dumb.

Guest rabaip

what a weird video from Google.

they present us to their latest released OS version (ICS) which is not even installed on 8% of Android devices worldwide yet and just show us how slow it is.

JB aka Android 4.1 should have been Android's first version instead of giving us that trash they called donut eclair and froyo.

this brings me back to that thread on our Blade forum that said Android was still immature. and I'm sure even 4.1 is not on par with the iOS version first seen on 3GS

Cant argue that android was very immature but also nothing changes the fact that iOS has a dumbed down claustrophobic feel for a lot of people (no file managing or any real customization options to speak of) I guess both teams have their reasons.

Guest tilal6991

Your missing the point. The idea is that manufacturers skip ICS entirely and go directly to JB as it is only a minor update.

Back on topic - I promise that as soon as the sources are out my effort will be completely on porting it to ZTE devices - Skate first but Blade not far behind.

Guest tilal6991

how are you even continuing your development without a Blade? like a machine you just keep on going :D

Lol. TBH the only difference between the Skate and the Blade is the kernel.

Guest tilal6991

@tilal:

How many roms do you have that you worked on, that were either unfinished/incomplete, or not followed up on?

I've worked on a huge number - I only post very few of them - mostly I keep them to myself - mainly because I don't think they are worth posting.

The only ROMs in the Blade section is the AOKP and MIUI - both because others poseted better versions of them - burstlam with AOKP and there is another thread for an updated version of MIUI.

Guest t0mm13b

I've worked on a huge number - I only post very few of them - mostly I keep them to myself - mainly because I don't think they are worth posting.

The only ROMs in the Blade section is the AOKP and MIUI - both because others poseted better versions of them - burstlam with AOKP and there is another thread for an updated version of MIUI.

Bit of advice - focus on one first and finish it first instead - it is far more satisfying then leaving it to gather dust or say "oh yeah, someone has posted a better version, meh, I give up and dump it, and move on to the next whatever is out there", - DON'T, just keep going!

Don't do it just for the community, do it for yourself, so make sure you finish and complete it for yourself!

This applies to other devs interested in this kind of thing too :)

My 2cents :)

Guest tilal6991

Bit of advice - focus on one first and finish it first instead - it is far more satisfying then leaving it to gather dust or say "oh yeah, someone has posted a better version, meh, I give up and dump it, and move on to the next whatever is out there", - DON'T, just keep going!

Don't do it just for the community, do it for yourself, so make sure you finish and complete it for yourself!

I understand what you are trying to say and I thank you for the advice.

The only issue I see is that something like CyanogenMod is never going to "finish". Even CM7 is not "finished" as such - it's still got commits coming into the repos.

Still again - thanks!

Guest ufizo

and on the topic: If JB will work on our blades or not?

Well, one noteworthy upgrade is called 'project butter', that has got all to do with making the OS smooth, anticipative, responsive etc.. etc.. basically Google has set it to 60 fps now with JB.

Can our blade's hardware keep up? I hope it can. :)

Guest YomanEndLine

Your missing the point. The idea is that manufacturers skip ICS entirely and go directly to JB as it is only a minor update.

Back on topic - I promise that as soon as the sources are out my effort will be completely on porting it to ZTE devices - Skate first but Blade not far behind.

I was just about to ask you if you will port Jelly Bean to the blade but now I can calm down and sit back and just watch and enjoy your awesome worlk like you did on ICS

Guest sej7278

that video truly is odd, its like "we fixed the bug that makes app launching slow as fsck on ics, and called it butter", or "we got qualcomm to compile their drivers with -03 to fix laggy video playback".

JB just seems like a bugfix release, i don't even know why they upped the version to 4.1, it should be 4.0.5, i guess the marketing team wanted something new for the kindle fire nexus7 release.

This sounds like when I used to make lots of half or nearly finished ROMS and then give up and move on... Well my next project is my TouchWiz successor of a remICS Samsung Galaxy SIII ROM. Will post link for testing after I finish it off for the LG Optimus 2X.

Guest Zunex

I read somewhere that google said JB will achieve 60 fps on modern hardware. What do they mean on modern hardware? 1ghz single core or dual core? Based on this http://www.techradar...eatures-1036013 writing we'll get a lot more. Personally I'm waiting for this update. We need this.

And Tilal: TommyB is right. I know CM never finishes but keep going. Don't give up on your ROM. In my opinion yours the best! :) Still waiting for MIUI anyway. I prefer your ROMs because they're somehow better. Faster too!

Edited by Zunex

Guest JudasLucifer

JB will probably work as well as ICS currently does. And I think that maybe, eventually, we will get the openmax stuff...eventually...

Guest Sulthekk

JB will probably work as well as ICS currently does. And I think that maybe, eventually, we will get the openmax stuff...eventually...

I don't think that will ever happen...

However, I'm thinking that we might have a partial solution... Reverting the commits that are in the n880 topic may make gb libs working again? Okay, there's that possible compatibility issue with ndk apps, but... ICS has no official armv6 support, so apps compiled with that version of ndk are probably compiled for armv7, but if an app is compiled with an older version, then the reverts shouldn't brake it, because those commits weren't there in gb. I'm not sure if my thoughts are right (probably not), but could somebody who knows more about the situation with OMX say something about that way? Is it possible at all, or my mind went too far again with ideas?

Edited by Sulthekk

Guest Retand1

I don't think that will ever happen...

However, I'm thinking that we might have a partial solution... Reverting the commits that are in the n880 topic may make gb libs working again? Okay, there's that possible compatibility issue with ndk apps, but... ICS has no official armv6 support, so apps compiled with that version of ndk are probably compiled for armv7, but if an app is compiled with an older version, then the reverts shouldn't brake it, because those commits weren't there in gb. I'm not sure if my thoughts are right (probably not), but could somebody who knows more about the situation with OMX say something about that way? Is it possible at all, or my mind went too far again with ideas?

Hmmm... here are apps from JB http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1738277 . I tried only "google+" and it worked perfect . You can try if you want and the other apps.