Bootloader Unlock for ICS 4.0.3 for the Ascend G300

Guest Jekle

Guest numptydumpty

I must have been drunk and/or bored last night, so flashed the b926 from huawei's website last night, doh!

it worked on my vodafone uk b885 build (cyanogen mod was on there to do a backup) - I installed through the 'update from sd card' option....

the phone feels snappier and accepts calls, phew, but the wifi doesn't work? also how do I install google play?

thanks!

ps the boot screen looks like something from a bunch of hacktivists - why no simple Huawei logo?

Guest FrankieADZ

I must have been drunk and/or bored last night, so flashed the b926 from huawei's website last night, doh!

it worked on my vodafone uk b885 build (cyanogen mod was on there to do a backup) - I installed through the 'update from sd card' option....

the phone feels snappier and accepts calls, phew, but the wifi doesn't work? also how do I install google play?

thanks!

ps the boot screen looks like something from a bunch of hacktivists - why no simple Huawei logo?

u need the Gapps thingy, that you put on when u flash want them with CyanogenMod....them ones i think

Guest anything-but

Strange,flashed mine the same way and all working fine here,wifi connects REALLY quickly now actually. After you run the tool that was posted to root then unlock the bootloader,you`ll need to fastboot cwm on so you can flash a gapps zip on to get google play.

Guest Frankish
Anyone know if 'fastboot flash splash1 xxx.img' works on a g300? I am loving ICS but would like to change the splash logo from this chinese carrier logo if possible.

Search the forum the information is there.

Guest numptydumpty

thanks for replies - not really bothered about unlocking the bootloader at the moment!

I've manually downloaded play v3.5.19.apk so will give that a go.....

should I run the vendor update.app? somebody said it wasn't required...

edit: hmmm the play store installs but won't run....

Edited by numptydumpty

Guest anything-but

That`s why the root `n` bootloader tool needs to be run. Not sure if you`ll be able to install the play store via apk as did mine through cwm,but no harm in running the root `n` bl unlocker and trying i guess. :)

Don`t bother with the vendor update.app,didn`t when i did mine last night and running rather sweet i must say.

Edited by anything-but

Guest djuroue

OK!

Here's what I did, and what happened...

• Flashed ICS from the official download from the Huawei site (dload dir) - OK!
  • Flashed the vendor package from the official download from the Huawei site (vendor dir) - OK!
  • Installed ADB drivers from the ISO mounted on the phone - OK!
  • Ran 'unlockbootloader.exe' and clicked root - OK!
  • Verified root - OK!
  • Ran 'unlockbootloader.exe' and clicked bootloader - app closed on completion - OK!
  • Started device in bootloader and fastboot flashed clockworkmod recovery - OK!
  • Launched clockworkmod recovery - OK!
  • Launched device normally with SIM inserted, got service and made call - OK!

That's what I call a success! :)

Next, make a MCR of B192 to go over the top with Chinese stuff removed and Google stuff added! :)

P

Hey Paul. Just did everything like you said, and everything worked fine! Superuser, bootloadUnlock and CWM installed with no problems! Now to flash gapps and everything is great !!!

MODACO RULES !

thanks for replies - not really bothered about unlocking the bootloader at the moment!

I've manually downloaded play v3.5.19.apk so will give that a go.....

should I run the vendor update.app? somebody said it wasn't required...

edit: hmmm the play store installs but won't run....

Try this ZIP which you will install through CWM !

http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

Edited by djuroue

Guest Hans Gruber

I'm getting update failed on my phone. It must be because I flashed to b892, although it did seem to successfully flash back to b882. B892 must have left something on the phone the update doesn't like.

The log is saying

filename = /mmc1/dload/update.app

dload_sd_chk_file_data->dload_sd_chk_ram_data failed!

dload_sd_chk_file_data failed!

filename = /mmc1/dload/update.app

dload_sd_chk_file_data failed!

Not sure what all that means. Knackered SD card?

Edited by Hans Gruber

Guest anything-but

That`s the one.

Hans,have you tried flashing via storage/software upgrade/sd card upgrade in the settings menu on the phone?

Also hans,did you try redownloading the update from the huawei site incase of a crc error in the package you have?

Edited by anything-but

Guest Hans Gruber

Hans,have you tried flashing via storage/software upgrade/sd card upgrade in the settings menu on the phone?

Yeah tried both ways with same result. I'll give it a go with a different SD card or the internal one to see if I have any luck

Guest naghtan

You have to install cwm via fastboot to get it installed and working correctly.

I enter in Fastboot mode... the adb detect the terminal... check the rom as ok... but when he send to terminal, said operationd denied or something like that..

will try again...

EDIT :

Now Its working!

thanks!

Edited by naghtan

Guest Hpez

Search the forum the information is there.

I did search the G300 forums for the info before I asked and found nothing. If anyone helpful could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Guest Hpez

http://www.modaco.co...-splash-screen/

is this what your looking for?

Yes, that seems to be what I am looking for. Thank you very much!

Edit: Hmmm, sadly that doesn't seem to work. Flashed the zip via TeamWin but still have the default ICS chinese carrier logo when I switch the phone on.

Edited by Hpez

Guest tronads

Having read through this thread, one thing I am still not clear on....is clockwork recovery already installed before this all takes place ?

My G300 8815 is currently on B886 and I have rooted it using Paul instructions, but I have not yet installed Clockwork recovery.

Is this something I would do before flashing this official Chinese rom, or do I flash the rom, then follow Pauls Clockwork recovery instructions (after obviously unlocking the bootloader).

Guest numptydumpty

do we think this bootloader unlock will work on the G300/U8815 ICS?

yes that's what mine was but it thinks it's a U8818 with the B926 update

my wifi still ain't working god damn! anybody any ideas before I have to go back to the sh!tty vodafone rom? :(

Guest anything-but

Flash B926 update/run tool.....root then unlock bootloader/fastboot cwm on/flash gapps via cwm and your good to go. :)

Guest Geoff2

I realise that the significance of this official release of ICS is that someone has managed to unlock the bootloader. However, I'd be interested to know how the ROM is for everyday use. So far, I haven't read of any problems more significant than people wanting to change the Chinese boot animation. For those of you who've updated to this official version of ICS:

1. Have you identified any problems with the ROM? Speed? Battery life? Language?

2. Do any of your apps not work properly with ICS?

3. Any problems installing google apps?

And finally, now that the bootloader has been unlocked, can you can confirm that we will now easily be able to flash newer ROMs (after flashing ClockworkMod)? What about going backwards - e.g. to B885 - would that now be possible?

Guest numptydumpty

Flash B926 update/run tool.....root then unlock bootloader/fastboot cwm on/flash gapps via cwm and your good to go. :)

unless you're an unlucky b@stard like me and your wifi gets hosed somehow... :o

I'm on baseband 2030 - can this be updated?

Guest numptydumpty

the strangest thing just happened.......god took pity on me and my wifi suddenly started working! seriously it did nothing for 9 hours then I looked at the phone and there was an icon in the top left corner! lol

hey I like the new gmail look!

hey geoff just install gapps using cwm from the zip link kindly provided by djuroue!

Guest Hpez

I realise that the significance of this official release of ICS is that someone has managed to unlock the bootloader. However, I'd be interested to know how the ROM is for everyday use. So far, I haven't read of any problems more significant than people wanting to change the Chinese boot animation. For those of you who've updated to this official version of ICS:

1. Have you identified any problems with the ROM? Speed? Battery life? Language?

2. Do any of your apps not work properly with ICS?

3. Any problems installing google apps?

And finally, now that the bootloader has been unlocked, can you can confirm that we will now easily be able to flash newer ROMs (after flashing ClockworkMod)? What about going backwards - e.g. to B885 - would that now be possible?

I've installed the update and it seems great to be honest (I did it via the Storage menu > software upgrade). I have ICS on my blade and my Vega, and this is as good as either of those versions. Everything was in English from the start so there was no fumbling through menus trying to set the language. There are obviously a few chinese apps that won't be wanted (which I just froze with TB), I also installed Apex launcher because I prefer it over the stock launcher. Gapps flashed fine just as it would with any CM ROM, I connected to my WiFi and my google account as normal and all my apps downloaded from Play and everything works as it should so far (including the camera in case anyone was wondering).

I'm getting 2954 in Antutu bench 2.8.3 which is not bad for a stock ROM, I used to get 3000 with tillaz ROM, everything feels very smooth though.

The only thing I want to change is the initial splash screen but this is purely cosmetic and really is a very minor thing.

Guest Hans Gruber

Just a tip for anyone as stupid as me. When you're trying to use the unlockbootloader program, make sure you turn on USB debugging on the phone :P