Best way to record video on Huawei Ascend G300

Guest Flavius1

Guest Flavius1

I've played with the phone for a week now and found how far it can go when recording video.

The recording software that I chose was IgCamera by RubberBigPepper (found on google play store, got the free version, but you can try the pro one for extra features). The reason why i chose IgCamera is because you have full control over the Video Encoder (mpeg4,h263, or h264), the resolution, and the recording bitrate, also many other useful features, like changing focus while shooting.

The main problem with the default camera app is that you can only record video at a low bitrate (2Mbits/s)and the quality is very bad.

Changing the bitrate while running the app on Android 2.3 didn't work, it would still record the movies in its default 2Mbits/s so I upgraded to the Chinese ICS 4.0.3 using the tutorials on this forum and reinstalled the app. Now I could record using different bitrates.

The max resolution at which this can record video is 864x480, so for my test I used that resolution.

I've tested may of the bitrates in combination with the 3 usable encoders and found that h264 seems to have the best quality/fps.

The problem with increasing the bitrate is that your recorded frames per second won't be stable at 30 or 24 fps, depending how you choose to shoot.

You need to find the sweet spot between fps and bit rate. In my case I chose to record at 15Mbits/s which after recorded shows as 8-9Mbits/s but the quality is much better than the original camera app, the only down side is that in my fast panning test it captured a minimum of 9fps, a maximum of 29fps, and an average of 19fps.

One last thing to note is that you should set your audio recording setting to as low quality as possible (to have more perfomance for the video) and use a separate device with a good mike to get the audio and then sync it to the phone one.

Thanks for reading and I hope you will have fun with it.

Edited by Flavius1

Already been looked at in depth here: http://www.modaco.co...ecording-video/

Changing bitrate does nothing because even though you change it higher, it still records at default bitrate.

The linked topic was about audio quality in recording which ended up being a detailed topic about the whole scope of video recording.

Edited by Guest

Guest Hogweed

Changing bitrate does nothing because even though you change it higher, it still records at default bitrate.

Yes but the poster Flavius1 says that it does work in the new ICS even though it didn't in GB.

Guest Cardie

The standard ICS rom records sound crystal clear compared to on 2.3. The resolution is 640x480 which isnt too bad as the max is 800x480, in lgCamcorder the auto focus does not work so your video is blurry all the time unless you recording somthing 2 feet away. I'll settle with the standard app, the camera on the standard app is brilliant I think.

Guest Rico_89
... in lgCamcorder the auto focus does not work so your video is blurry all the time unless you recording somthing 2 feet away. I'll settle with the standard app, the camera on the standard app is brilliant I think.

I haven't tested the camera out at all since upgrading to ICS but in regards to the LGcamera focus, then try this Cardie;

Btw, I noticed that auto focus does not work with video recording, it needs to be set up on continuous-video, otherwise you will have only one focus point - the one you got when you focused and started shooting, everything else will be out of focus.

Edited by Rico_89