[DEV][ROM][8.1.] CyanogenMod 10 (Android 4.1.2)

Guest KonstaT

i'm using s2e with this rom (was previously using link2sd with cm9) and i don't know if i'm doing something wrong but i'm still getting out of space errors when trying to install apps, its not like i've got that much on there - no games or anything.

i've just tpt'd to give me an extra 12mb on /data from /system, but am thinking i need to make /system 160mb again now, but that's only going to work for konstat's trimmed gapps and trimmed cm10.

I'm using INT2EXT4+ after seeing it mentioned on this thread. It's great! I looked at the script to see how it works and it's really simple while also being arguably the most effective solution. You tell the apps to install to internal memory because the sd-ext partition actually gets mounted at /data. I highly recommend it.

I had 136MB /system after using the Windows flasher before the TPT method was discovered. It was a very simple process to reflash using the TPT method to give me 160MB instead. It says I have 245KB free. Phew!

Guest sej7278

I'm using INT2EXT4+ after seeing it mentioned on this thread. It's great! I looked at the script to see how it works and it's really simple while also being arguably the most effective solution. You tell the apps to install to internal memory because the sd-ext partition actually gets mounted at /data. I highly recommend it.

I had 136MB /system after using the Windows flasher before the TPT method was discovered. It was a very simple process to reflash using the TPT method to give me 160MB instead. It says I have 245KB free. Phew!

yes i'll tpt to 160mb /system i think like the cm7 days when i didn't have to use sd-ext. i'm trying to build my own trimmed cm10 to see if it will fit - removed AudioPackageNewWave.mk, VideoPackage2.mk, bootanimation and hopefully all signs of Cid!

i'm happy enough with konstat's hacked s2e, if i can get cm10 to fit into 160mb i won't have to resort to putting dalvik on sd-ext.

steve-k has broken the build again mucking around with legacy audio - i know he's the head honcho and we owe him a lot, but has anyone else noticed he's the only guy who outright breaks stuff so they either don't compile or don't work on armv6? i don't think he's a big fan of QA testing :D

Guest shezar

It just kills my phone, won't boot if I flash it. (Maybe I flashed something ooooold? Can you please post a link to what works for you?)

Edited by shezar

It just kills my phone, won't boot if I flash it. (Maybe I flashed something ooooold? Can you please post a link to what works for you?)

Don't get any problem with this script (of course it goes to history after s2e working). Link on it you can find in my post (there're not a lot of them here :) ) few pages ago

Guest shezar

Thanks, I tried that before and that killed the phone... I'll try again then :)

Edit: turns out I missed /sd-ext formatting...

Edited by shezar

Guest kaherdin

This rom will never be as fluid as ICS ?

My personal opinion is that this release is in total a better ROM than CM9 for our blades are right now. I dont care about camera recorder so that might be a bummer for some people...

I feel no significant lag in using the device at all. Might be naive of me, but I kinda love this :)

i'm happy enough with konstat's hacked s2e, if i can get cm10 to fit into 160mb i won't have to resort to putting dalvik on sd-ext.

D2EXT+ leaves dalvik-cache on internal memory but I'm not sure about INT2EXT4+. It only mentions /data/data. The author says INT2EXT4+ is faster than D2EXT+ though.

I wasn't sure how ClockworkMod formats the sd-ext partition. It probably doesn't matter whether it formats them as ext2/3/4 because ext partitions can be upgraded at mount time. Whether it creates a journal or not is significant though as journaling on SD cards is bad. I therefore formatted mine using my Linux system with mke2fs -O '^has_journal'. If you don't have a Linux system handy, the ROM actually includes mke2fs so you can issue that same command from the terminal app.

I was disappointed that the media scanner only scans /storage/sdcard0 because I wanted to put my music on an ext4 partition. I then had the idea of using mount --bind. That worked. The good news was that the ext partition is presented together with the FAT partition when mounting via USB and the phone is still able to access it during this time. The latter has to happen when using INT2EXT because the phone wouldn't get very far without /data. :D The problem is that USB mounting doesn't work while the bind mount is in effect because it needs to umount /storage/sdcard0 first. It also occurred to me that I would have to manually wipe the ext partition when switching/upgrading ROMs because a regular factory reset would wipe the music off too. I was able to solve the first problem with a great app called DirectoryBind. Quite simply, it sets up the bind mount on boot and automatically umounts/mounts it when USB mounting. Perfect! For the second problem, I figured, hey, why can't I have a second ext partition? So I gave that a try, mounting it at /mnt/sd-ext2, and had no trouble whatsoever. It even appears when USB mounting, alongside the other two. As well as my music, I was able to point Titanium Backup directly to /mnt/sd-ext2/TitaniumBackup. What surprised me is how well Titanium Backup interpreted my crazy setup. This kinda makes sense.

• System ROM: 167MB
  • Internal: 2GB
  • SD card 1GB
  • Ext. SD card: 12.5GB

Edited by Chewi

Guest Snap.IT

yes i'll tpt to 160mb /system i think like the cm7 days when i didn't have to use sd-ext. i'm trying to build my own trimmed cm10 to see if it will fit - removed AudioPackageNewWave.mk, VideoPackage2.mk, bootanimation and hopefully all signs of Cid!

steve-k has broken the build again mucking around with legacy audio - i know he's the head honcho and we owe him a lot, but has anyone else noticed he's the only guy who outright breaks stuff so they either don't compile or don't work on armv6? i don't think he's a big fan of QA testing :D

If you put data on sd-ext with s2e you'll have that problem, you can put dalvik and apps on there but as soon as you move data you'll get a warning when installing new apps.

Guest sej7278

If you put data on sd-ext with s2e you'll have that problem, you can put dalvik and apps on there but as soon as you move data you'll get a warning when installing new apps.

i've only got /data/app on sd-ext, i've tpt'd to 160mb /system now, so have over 100mb free in /data, so will see how it goes.

looks like tilal fixed the audio problem that's breaking the build, it seems to be compiling now: https://github.com/C...c221b91c#diff-2

konstat - how have you managed to fit cm10 into a 160mb /system - for some reason even though i've taken packages out of vendor/cm/config/common.mk and common_full_phone.mk they still seem to end up in /system/app/ even with some trimming i can only get down to 190mb

also your /system/media/audio/ seems to have completely different files to cm10's defaults, are they from cm7 or something instead?

most of the apk's in /system/app/ are about half the size of my ones, your /system/framework/ is a little smaller too. i see you've not bothered with /system/tts/

do you have another patch that does all this or is it manual or something? my rom zip comes to 128mb in total, whereas yours is 94mb!

Edited by sej7278

Guest ElrOnDPT

My personal opinion is that this release is in total a better ROM than CM9 for our blades are right now. I dont care about camera recorder so that might be a bummer for some people...

I feel no significant lag in using the device at all. Might be naive of me, but I kinda love this :)

Same opinion here. I just installed the 21.08 build and the speed and "buterness" is quite superior to any ICS rom :)

JB is smoother, but CM9 is definitely snappier.

Another big factor in favour of CM9 is the battery life, my phone runs 1.5x longer with ICS.

Guest blueice228

1.Check md5 check sum.

2.update CWM to 6.0 thea is a touch version working or downgrade to the stable 5..5..2

I am upgrading from Konsta Kang cm9 build and I have this exact same problem. Before install, I have wiped data / cache / dalvik. Using gen2, CWM 6.0, and have checked the md5. Please help.

Guest emajar

I am upgrading from Konsta Kang cm9 build and I have this exact same problem. Before install, I have wiped data / cache / dalvik. Using gen2, CWM 6.0, and have checked the md5. Please help.

Tpt system to 210mb minimum.

Guest kaherdin

JB is smoother, but CM9 is definitely snappier.

Another big factor in favour of CM9 is the battery life, my phone runs 1.5x longer with ICS.

For me its no difference, almost better with this build, regarding battery performance. If I see one big issue right now it's that I can't, for the love of all nerdy things, get Link2Sd to work properly. The apps still eat up my internal memory/space.

I've read that something is being discussed about sd-ext and such but I'm seriously not that intelligent to figure out if it apply to my issue.

Guest Srsriharsha

@konstat can you please provide the option to have the navigation buttons on status bar? Back button has gone hard on my phone and want to save it from dying

Edited by Srsriharsha

Guest kaherdin

3g data is on by default, if you don't have a data plan turn off data, and switch to 2g mode.

Nice 2 know; I'm using 3g data all the time and feel no "massive drain".

Guest sej7278

i managed to trim my rom zip down to 117mb, but /system is still about 185mb unzipped, even with removing most of the audio/video files as well as rommanager, wallpapers, bootanimation, videoeditor etc. no idea how konstat gets 142mb, his apk's are smaller.

konstat - are you actually going through each apk and trimming them manually or something - for example trebuchet is about 1/20th of the size in your rom as it seems to have a lot of the drawable resolutions removed.

Edited by sej7278

Guest Sulthekk

i managed to trim my rom zip down to 117mb, but /system is still about 185mb unzipped, even with removing most of the audio/video files as well as rommanager, wallpapers, bootanimation, videoeditor etc. no idea how konstat gets 160mb, his apk's are smaller.

konstat - are you actually going through each apk and trimming them manually or something - for example trebuchet is about 1/20th of the size in your rom as it seems to have a lot of the drawable resolutions removed.

He said he commented things out in the makefiles. I think his old CM9 trimming patch is available in the ICS topic, that may be some help to you. I also found that the /fonts/DroidSans-Fallback.ttf file is over 5 megs, and it contains no useful data for a lot of people - after removal I only didn't see some chinese-lookalike characters, but I couldn't understand them anyway... :/

Are you aware that you can also safely remove the srec directory too?