[DEV][ROM][8.1.] CyanogenMod 10 (Android 4.1.2)

Guest KonstaT

Using your ROM since yesterday and it works very well indeed. No problem with your provided S2E, works as easily as in ICS.

Just a stupid JB question : where should I put my ringtones ? Googling only gives me answer about /sdcard/media/audio/ringtones, but my MP3 have been there for ages and I don't see them in the selection list ?

Guest VinDroid

Using your ROM since yesterday and it works very well indeed. No problem with your provided S2E, works as easily as in ICS.

Just a stupid JB question : where should I put my ringtones ? Googling only gives me answer about /sdcard/media/audio/ringtones, but my MP3 have been there for ages and I don't see them in the selection list ?

All the files can not be seen directly, you need to add it from music player (use as a riingtone).

Guest elrond_bs
I know several people say moving the dalvik-cache is bound to slow things down, but with my class 4 microsd I really don't see any speed difference whatever. Besides, having just the dalvik-cache on sd-ext survives nandroid restores better - if the sd-ext fails to restore, the next boot will be a little longer as it rebuilds the dalvik-cache in the right place (that is, on sd-ext) and I'm back in business.

You may not feel any difference, but it is there (class 4? :blink: ). For small and plain apps, it might be close to no difference, but for resource hungry apps, like games... :huh:

People, do not move the dalvik cache to sd. As KonstaT also said many times, it is the most ridiculous thing to move, if you have a choice. If you don't (low on space, after moving everything else), buy a class 10 card. Why slowing further down our already slow phone??

Edited by elrond_bs

Frozen two times in 5 hours. Must have the battery removed.

I know, that OC is not really supported, but it usually work.

First time when I set CPU max to 691, and governor to SmartassV2.

Next time (CPU max 691, governor on-demand) exiting the camera app. I have seen such freeze with the prevoius version also. The screen content does not change, but the phone itself is not actually frozen. Could be usable "blindly". Not really usefull anyway :)

And it still feels much slower than latest CM7.2 versions.

Edited by The-HUN

All the files can not be seen directly, you need to add it from music player (use as a riingtone).

No.

There are folders where you can put files to be directly chosen as ringtones / alarms / notifications.

I just found that on JB the folders are in the root of the sdcard (/sdcard/ringtones, /sdcard/notifications), while on ICS they where in /sdcard/media/audio (/ringtones, /notifications).

Pretty stupid change IMHO, it just messes the sdcard folder structure.

I just found that on JB the folders are in the root of the sdcard (/sdcard/ringtones, /sdcard/notifications), while on ICS they where in /sdcard/media/audio (/ringtones, /notifications).

My personal ringtones and notifications have been in these "new" root folders for quite a while now, I think as far as GB, actually, so it's not a recent change from G.

You may not feel any difference, but it is there (class 4? ). For small and plain apps, it might be close to no difference, but for resource hungry apps, like games...

People, do not move the dalvik cache to sd. As KonstaT also said many times, it is the most ridiculous thing to move, if you have a choice. If you don't (low on space, after moving everything else), buy a class 10 card. Why slowing further down our already slow phone?

Do you have any evidence to back up these claims ?

Give me an I/O benchmark on the blade's internal memory versus a class 10 sd-ext, and then we can talk.

As you say, the blade is slow, and I am pretty sure that they put the cheapest NAND they could find in it. I would not be surprised if a class 10 benchmarks better.

I'm not saying that moving the dalvik cache to the sd-ext is a good idea, but don't boldly claim that it will slow down the phone without evidence.

As for myself, I moved both apps a and apps data to the sd-ext and I'm very happy with it. Not intending to move dalvik cache, but if I do it one day I'll benchmark my phone so that we have real figures and not just assumptions.

Guest targetbsp

No.

There are folders where you can put files to be directly chosen as ringtones / alarms / notifications.

They can be anywhere on any version - you can even have mroe than one. It just looks for the folder name, not its location.

My personal ringtones and notifications have been in these "new" root folders for quite a while now, I think as far as GB, actually, so it's not a recent change from G.

Oh ? Well, I think mine have been in /media/audio forever, but I can't say for sure. Maybe pre-JB ROMs where softlinking them to the root of the sd card and JB doesn't do it anymore ?

They can be anywhere on any version - you can even have mroe than one. It just looks for the folder name, not its location.

Ah OK. So maybe the problem was that I had those empty folders at the root of my sd card then ? The ROM would find them first and not look any further ?

This doesn't explain why they were listed in ICS and not in JB anymore, but that's not really important I guess ;)

Guest targetbsp

Ah OK. So maybe the problem was that I had those empty folders at the root of my sd card then ? The ROM would find them first and not look any further ?

This doesn't explain why they were listed in ICS and not in JB anymore, but that's not really important I guess

As far as I was aware it should look further? I already had mine on the root of the sd card and I'm sure I remember some app (might have been facebook) making a notification folder somewhere else on my sd card and it getting merged it with my own notifications

Guest elrond_bs

Do you have any evidence to back up these claims ?

Give me an I/O benchmark on the blade's internal memory versus a class 10 sd-ext, and then we can talk.

As you say, the blade is slow, and I am pretty sure that they put the cheapest NAND they could find in it. I would not be surprised if a class 10 benchmarks better.

I'm not saying that moving the dalvik cache to the sd-ext is a good idea, but don't boldly claim that it will slow down the phone without evidence.

As for myself, I moved both apps a and apps data to the sd-ext and I'm very happy with it. Not intending to move dalvik cache, but if I do it one day I'll benchmark my phone so that we have real figures and not just assumptions.

Why do you make the assumption, that my claim was an assumption? :P And why don't you just search a little, and you will find (may be even in this same thread) why this is so, and it was not said by me, but by Konsta himself (and other devs too) and explained. Furthermore, I said that some apps might not be affected, especially on Class 10 card. And you claim benchmarks will give you real figures, which also is not always true. :)

Edited by elrond_bs

Why do you make the assumption, that my claim was an assumption? And why don't you just search a little, and you will find (may be even in this same thread) why this is so, and it was not said by me, but by Konsta himself (and other devs too) and explained. Furthermore, I said that some apps might not be affected (much), especially on Class 10 card. And you claim benchmarks will give you real figures, which also is not always true.

Well, saying that placing dalvik cache on the sd-ext will slow down your phone is an assumption unless you prove it with some king of figures (benchlarking, or anything else).

KonstaT said so, but he was also assuming that an sd card was slower than the Blade's internal nand.

With all the respect due to him for giving us all these great kangs and all this time, he has no clue about it. ;)

Anyway, I'm just saying that one should not propagate these kind of assumptions without have real figures.

For month people kept saying that wiping battery stats was needed to recalibrate the battery, and it proved to be absolutely untrue in the end. And people saying that where not baking their claims with figures, they were just saying that they read someone more knowledgeable than them saying it. ;)

We're being totally off-topic here anyway....

What is the system/etc/terminfo folder? Wasn't there in earlier builds, and now i get "duplicate filename" errors for this folder with 7-zip (in this folder there are subfolders with files where the filenames are only differentiated by the use of capital letters, and this 7-zip can't keep apart apparently). This is happening when i try to add or change apk's in the system/app folder.

Guest targetbsp

What is the system/etc/terminfo folder? Wasn't there in earlier builds, and now i get "duplicate filename" errors for this folder with 7-zip (in this folder there are subfolders with files where the filenames are only differentiated by the use of capital letters, and this 7-zip can't keep apart apparently). This is happening when i try to add or change apk's in the system/app folder.

Winrar seems able to handle it if it helps.

Guest Moonvalley11

Frozen two times in 5 hours. Must have the battery removed.

I know, that OC is not really supported, but it usually work.

First time when I set CPU max to 691, and governor to SmartassV2.

Next time (CPU max 691, governor on-demand) exiting the camera app. I have seen such freeze with the prevoius version also. The screen content does not change, but the phone itself is not actually frozen. Could be usable "blindly". Not really usefull anyway

And it still feels much slower than latest CM7.2 versions.

Not supported? :blink: CM supports OC by default..

It depends on your device, some devices can be clocked higher than others, regardless of the ROM.

I've been running mine on 748 MHz and smartassv2 governor for ages, never froze..

I think the problems you're facing is due to something else..

Guest targetbsp

Not supported? CM supports OC by default..

I think he means supported as in 'no-one gives you technical support for crashes if you are overclocked' rather than supported as in 'the feature exists' :)

Hi quick general query please. How do I extract the car home apk packaged with this ROM? I would like to/have tried converting it to a user app (so as to install on my next phone) but that is refused. Any ideas? Thanks! :-)

I wish I could use this rom, however lack of USB tethering is stopping me from it, tried USB tethering app but it would FC only. Could anyone kindly tell me which one app is compatible with this rom?

Edited by mules

I did a clean instal in the last release and the S2E patch isn't working. Instalation Aborted.

No need to patch, just install the S2E-JB.apk posted somewhere else in this thread. It works fine.