Intel says Hidden SD card slot can be used !

Guest shootomanUK

Guest shootomanUK

Just been watching a video from the intel booth at a tech show, and the guy says the micro SD slot can be used ??

about 2.20 mins onwards he says it !

"scratches head" lol

Guest shootomanUK

But paul tried and it would not work ? Maybe the intel guy was misinformed.

wonder if it works in the lava xolo then it could be working in the flashed osd with the xolo update ??

Take the back off and try yourself jiko lol

I have orange san diego not x900, updated to x900, but the op was wondering if it would work on the original x900.

Edited by Guest

Guest The Soup Thief

I have orange san diego not x900, updated to x900, but the op was wondering if it would work on the original x900.

Presumably the hardware's the same, so effectively since you have the x900 firmware, you are now the owner of a Xolo phone (moot really, since rickywyatt's pointed out that the sd remains disabled).

Yeah it is obvious the intel guy was misinformed or at the time it was intended to be activated but was dropped at last minute.

In my opinion, they realized they missed an exploit method which depends on an sd card being there and so dropped it.

Guest ben1066

It could be that it's only enabled on the Intel reference firmware, disabled by Orange and Xolo to stop it as a potential attack vector, wouldn't be unsurprising considering the huge security on the rest of the phone. Disabled after this video was shot.

EDIT:

Yeah, it's actually sorta enabled, you need only edit the fstab to enable it, removing a -1. The issue is that I can't see any way of editing it since flashing boot.bin isn't flashing boot.img. Not quite sure what they've done.

Edited by ben1066

• 2 months later...
Guest john91919

After watching Pauls inserting an micro sd. I took the back off to have a look.

Someone posted that the upto 16gb cards work.

Has anyone tested this?

Also how the hell do you get them out??

Cheers

John

Easy answer is no. The function has been disabled, we would need root to make it usable again. It seems they disabled it because of the sd card root exploits.

And to be honest, I think this device will remain unrootable unless we are very lucky and they miss an exploit. At the moment I am thinking orange will be more likely to screw up seeing as lava are bang onto it, which is clear by the gingerbread update they released which seemed to plug a hole they left.

Edited by Guest

Guest BlueMoonRising

I found an interview on cnet with Mike Bell who is vice president and general manager of Intel's Mobile and Communications Group.

I'm no expert (a very long way from one) but this quote caught my eye :-

"He also blames the fact there are some different ways the two versions behave -- with Gingerbread, for example, Intel had to choose between using internal memory and an SD card, but with Ice Cream Sandwich, you can have both."

That's why I asked if ICS would enable it (I presume it is electrically connected).

The full interview is here :-

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30677_3-57455864-244/meet-the-intel-man-whos-out-to-beat-arm-in-smartphones/

I see........then maybe we can have both with ICS, that would be a nice bonus, which of course opens the window to more expoilts :D the reason it was assumed the sd card was dropped, but as the interview says, it was for other reasons. Yes surely the sd card slot is connected just disabled, If they went to the effort to include the slot, one would think they made it functional too.

I think I know why all the big deal is about the security of the device, with a rooted device, one can simply enter clockworkmod and wipe the phone and flash a rom which also overrides any lockscreen security on the device. On this device as it stands it is not possible to breach the security, if I forget my pattern unlock I am screwed, no clockworkmod to rescue me :wacko:

Edited by Guest

Guest Ribs85

I stand corrected. It seems you can just press a 'forgot pattern' button after you failed five times and the lockout has expired. After that, pop in your Google username and password, and you're in.

But there's nothing like a factory fresh phone, eh? ;-)

To wipe, you can use adb, but you'd have to have debugging switched on before the event, which isn't ideal I guess. Maybe you can unlock with adb. Never tried it, to be honest.

Anyone tried the sd card yet ? I dont have one to try, didnt think I be needing one for a while lol

There is a folder called sd card_ext that I dont recall seeing on gingerbread.

post-796032-0-43684500-1349517402_thumb.

Edited by Guest

Guest BlueMoonRising

Anyone tried the sd card yet ? I dont have one to try, didnt think I be needing one for a while lol

There is a folder called sd card_ext that I dont recall seeing on gingerbread.

I've got an external_sd folder on the Orange GB install.

Guest iam_smithers

The Ext-SD is there on GB too. Its the partition that the phone's internal storage memory is classified as, and even if the SD slot did work you wouldn't be seeing anything there at all. You can't read from an external SD card if there isn't one in there.