Anyone back on Gingerbread

Guest maritimesbob

Guest maritimesbob

Has anyone tried out ICS on their G300 and decided to go back to Gingerbread?

Been on ICS for about two weeks now, currently running the early Modaco ICS rom. I find it quite a bit more laggy than Gingerbread. I'm guessing this is because of the lack of OpenGL to blame.

Very tempted to go back to Gingerbread but I have found the downgrade guides a bit confusing with all the posts and people offering different ways.

Has anyone got a "simple" tutorial for going back to Gingerbread? I appreciate the cautious approach is needed, backing up the imei etc.

Guest wwwjunk

It's easy. I've been doing it with b894, b926 and b927 with no issues at all.

backup your imei and put backup in some place safe

restore imei to 0

flash rom you want

root phone and restore your original imei

Edited by wwwjunk

Guest FrankieADZ

It's easy. I've been doing it with b894, b926 and b927 with no issues at all.

backup your imei and put backup in some place safe

restore imei to 0

flash rom you want

root phone and restore your original imei

once u go to ICS it locks ur bootloader doesnt it?

does that mean if u did u'd have to use unlockbootlaoder.exe to root & unlock the bootloader?

Guest wwwjunk

If you go to ics bootloader is locked. Use bootloader.exe to unlock.

You only need it unlocked if you want to install cwm. You don't need bootloader unlocked just to root in ics.

It's that easy: backup imei, change imei to 0, flash rom, root, restore original imei.

I don't use bootloader.exe because i use linux (f*** windows). Someone around here found a way to discover what bootloader.exe does and posted instructions. Sorry can't remember who was....

Edited by wwwjunk

Guest maritimesbob

Ok, so the downgrade tool is a possibility but there it is all seems a but uncertain.

I am currently on the Modaco Rom ICS based off 926. I wish to downgrade to B888, hopefully I can also root and install cwm.

The tool will downgrade me so that I can install B888? Will I then be able to root and install cwm?

I still need to backup emei? I'll do this anyway.

Guest wwwjunk

Never used that middlepackage so can't help with that. If you use imei 0 trick it will work.

You have at least two options to try ;) Just go for it. One or another, just try and see.

Guest ovecka

The tool will simply allow you to install the official B888 ROM. From there you can do whatever you want with it, be it rooting or installing CWM, ...

You simply flash the middlepackage the usual update.app way and after that you are free to flash B888 the same way. Just follow the guide. There aren't any changes to IMEI but I've backed it up anyway just to be sure.

Guest schkinx

Tried B927 and running out of memory , always have around 170-190mb free on the B8** roms but only getting around 60mb free on B927 , so i'm going back to GB

Guest Hogweed

Tried B927 and running out of memory , always have around 170-190mb free on the B8** roms but only getting around 60mb free on B927 , so i'm going back to GB

If you really do "always have about 170-190mb" free on B8** ROMs then you are arguably wasting the phone's capabilities! Might as well get Huawei to sell the phone with only 350 MB RAM :-)

I'm still on GB but with Holo Launcher (ICS style launcher) and boy does it eat my RAM. Obviously has a serious memory leak. Starts off taking less than 30MB but works its way up towards 100 over time. Had to put up the VM memory limits to prevent it hanging in fact. I do have quite a lot of apps installed though and have been playing with loads of widgets across multiple home screens etc. and my constant screen editing may be triggering the memory leaks. I consider the memory there to be used though and if it gives me a much "sexier" phone into the bargain, I'm all for it. I do have memory management tweaked in ROM toolbox as well as build.prop and I find that memory is freed up rapidly when needed for a new app. Heavy games players might have issues though but my limited game playing still seems smooth enough.

But despite the bugs (it is still fairly new) I love it - makes the phone so much nicer to use, but I do restart the launcher a couple of times a day. Holo Launcher at https://play.google....olauncher&hl=en

Bottom line - go by how the phone "feels" not by how much free RAM it has. Even 60MB of free RAM is enough for many average apps and the phone will free up more if needed.

Edited by Hogweed

Guest schkinx

I leave advanced task killer to sort out the memory management , and it does " Normally " sit around 170 - 190 mb once its done its job . I have never had any problems with the phone slowing down or feeling sluggish .

I was simply referring to the fact that there is over 100mb of memory being lost somewhere , considering ICS is supposed to be more efficient .

Edited by schkinx

Guest wwwjunk

Not lost somewhere. ICS uses more ram than gingerbread. But ram is there to be used.

I have ICS and it only has 50MB free all the time. And it's smooooth.

Empty ram = wasted ram = wasted money ;)

PS: no task killers here. Never used that.

Edited by wwwjunk

Guest Hogweed

I leave advanced task killer to sort out the memory management , and it does " Normally " sit around 170 - 190 mb once its done its job . I have never had any problems with the phone slowing down or feeling sluggish .

But if you run a previously used app which has now been culled by the aggressive task killer it must be slower to start than if it hadn't been killed. Why on earth would you want to kill sufficient in-memory apps just to have about 180 MB free at all time? That really seems like total overkill to me - Android left them in memory for a reason after all.

But if you are fine with your phone the way it is then that's what really matters but you might want to experiment a bit if you wish.

Edited by Hogweed

Guest maritimesbob

I used http://www.modaco.co...ade-tool-found/ method with the middlepackage update.app that worked flawlessly. It's just as easy as flashing any other official UPDATE.APP ROM.

Ok, so I flash the above update then what, do I then need to flash B888?

Also, do I need to run the update every time I wish to flash a GB rom, even a custom rom through cwm?

I am unsure what the above tool does apart from allowing a downgrade possible.

Edited by maritimesbob

Guest ovecka

Ok, so I flash the above update then what, do I then need to flash B888?

Also, do I need to run the update every time I wish to flash a GB rom, even a custom rom through cwm?

I am unsure what the above tool does apart from allowing a downgrade possible.

1) Yes, you can flash B888 the same way.

2) No, only when coming from ICS to GB or vice versa.

3) I have no idea but it does what I want it to do. :)

Edited by ovecka

Guest maritimesbob

The downgrade tool doesn't work for me. Same result and most others, pink bar at around 60% and then it just sits there.

Ps. The other method worked fine. Back on GB!

Edited by maritimesbob

• 3 months later...
Guest DaddyBaddy

I'd just like to say I've downgraded my Huawei G300 from ICS back to GB using the official Huawei method.

I don't like to faff about with modding, rooting or custom ROM'ming.

My fresh-out-of-the-box phone came running GB on B885.

An OTA update came through the same day upgrading me to B892.

I did an OTA update last weekend from B892 to B895.

B895 then allowed me to officially update to ICS (B936)

Been running ICS B936 for a few days. Yes its easier to use and prettier to look at for sure, but it's also got problems I just can't live with like heavy RAM usage and broken dictionaries. Simply not good enough.

I used this link to get the official Huawei G300 ICS to GB downgrade package.

Did it first time with no errors. :D I used a formatted 2 gig microSD card.

Now back on good old Gingerbread.

No messing about with custom / unofficial ROM's or ClockWorkMod etc. for me!

Happy again :P