Help - Update ROM from different operator

Guest orebollo

Guest orebollo

Hi.

I've bought a G300 from a Spanish operator (Yoigo). It has the official ROM B883. I would like to change to the official ROM train of Vodafone UK, as I see they are more updated (B892 actually) and I beleive that they will launch their official update to ICS earliear also.

I would like to ask if anyone knows if I can update to any of the three official Vodafone UK ROMs (B882, B885 or B892) just following the standard procedure (put the update.app in the microSD and start software update); and then it will simply update itself to official releases. I've read something of missing vendor stuff, but I am not sure if it applies in this case.

Has anyone done something similar to this? I'm afraid that coming from different vendors it may not work.

PD: currently I'm only interested in official updates, nothing that requires rooting or recoveries.

Thanks in advance.

Guest orebollo

Thank you for the answer. Yes, I have unlocked the phone. The point is that I am not sure (haven't found in the forum) if I just put the update.app of the chosen ROM (say B892) in the microSD and I can update without problems.

Possible problems I am asking for solution are:

- Even if my phone is from Yoigo operator, it can update to a ROM of other operator? (I mean witout using recovery)

- The ROM downloaded from the Huawei page (i.e. B892) has everything I need or I may need something additional? (something I've read about vendor stuff)

Thanks.

Guest Hogweed

Yes you can install UK ROMs. You will probably need to manually add the APN for your carrier though but that should be easily findable with a web search. You can even install the Chinese ICS ROM and many have done that.

If you are worried about lack of vendor stuff then you can flash Paul's Modaco Gr2 ROM (optimised pre-rooted but based on Voda UK stock) after the updates. Make sure you keep the backup of your phone somewher safe before you attempt any of this.

Guest ahatomastarday

I think you shouldn't have any problems, judging from my experience with exactly the opposite situation. I'm using a G300 from Vodafone UK (bought through Amazon UK) in Spain with Simyo, with the original stock ROM that came with the phone, and I didn't need to do anything special. I simply unlocked the phone when it came, put my Simyo SIM in, and that was it, fully working. Well, of course I also had to add the APNs for Simyo so I could use mobile internet, but even without them the phone service was working.