HTC Desire HD has ICS.. Only just?

Guest Josh92

Guest Josh92

So Engadget have written article on how someones released a custom ROM for ICS for the Desire HD. Amazing how Tilal and co have had this running and since Jelly Bean by now. I think theirs is fully working but the only thing preventing the Skate from being fully working is the dated hardware.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/17/custom-rom-brings-ics-to-desire-hd/

Mostly just a big THANK YOU to all the Skate devs!

Guest Verhaaltjes

Yes, it was a headline on many sites around the net, in so many languages. The "news" value was that they stated it was 100% functional, and nothing is faulty or broken at all. A very dangerous claim, if you ask me. But anyways ...

Indeed quite funny that we already have a rather well working version of JellyBean, whilst they are so proud of their ICS version.

The only thing we are missing is the limited driver availability - otherwise we would be lightyears ahead of the Desire community :)

Thanks indeed to our great devs!

Guest Redstarr1

You're misreading those articles. It's not that the Desire HD is just getting ICS. The news value is that HTC has just announced that it's impossible to get ICS on the Desire HD (because it supposedly doesn't have enough memory). The ICS ports for Desire HD have been out there for a long time, if you check the xda page, there are at least 13 ICS-based roms and 5 JB-based roms. The custom rom the articles feature is ICS with the latest version of Sense, that's new, but there were 12 other ICS roms before that.

Not to say that the Skate doesn't have some very good developers, but the Desire HD isn't behind us at all, they're actually ahead. It was sold all over the world, not just in the UK and some other European countries. There are a LOT more devs for the HTC than our ZTE.

Guest Josh92

Redstarr, yeah I assumed that would be the case. I guess the point I'm making is that if this is newsworthy then surely what's been achieved on the Skate/other low end devices is equally so. The Desire HD isn't too far about in terms of spec but still very significantly.

One would expect for HTC branded phones to have a lot more devs than Skate/ZTE. If HTC said that about the Desire HD, what would they think for the Skate?

Once you take it into context it's not all that impressive, people who are not too interested in Android custom roms would see that article and think what they've done is unique, it's not till you realise similar things are done on cheaper phones & that theres an even newer version of Android available via custom rom for that very phone that you get an understanding of the context of this.

^ If any of that makes any sense (no pun intended).

Guest Redstarr1

Think I'm getting your point :), well points because you're saying a lot of things :P.

- As I said this was just newsworthy because HTC said it couldn't be done although they promised to give an update. Reminds me of when Sony announced that the Xperia Play wasn't getting ICS. If you feel like cheaper phones are not getting enough credit, check this article: http://www.xda-developers.com/android/unofficial-cm10-for-the-zte-blade-galaxy-ace-and-gio/. Skate isn't mentioned because it was sold in so few countries, but the Blade was. The Engadget article you refer to has xda as source, so Engadget could just as easily post this one about CM10 as well, it's just that Engadget is aimed at the higher-end. A bit like Top Gear spends a lot more time on the latest Ferrari than on a Ford Focus, even if the last one has a "user base" 10 times as large.

- HTC just doesn't want to give updates to an older phone they're not selling anymore, makes sense from a business point of view. We live in a very wasteful society... Just because their Sense skin is too heavy, doesn't mean ICS is too heavy, but it appears that manufacturers don't like cutting in their skins to make more room for the actual OS. It's almost as if in their eyes, their phones don't run on Android, but on Sense. Anyway, cheaper phones get even less official updates, but you wouldn't expect ZTE to give an official ZTE update for the amount you paid.