[MOD] [SCRIPT] Multiboot via loop file [19/12]

Guest Snap.IT

Guest Snap.IT
<br /><br />For me, I get device not found when I try to convert both paranoid android and burstlam's JB. <br />I think there was problem with Pa before also but can't convert burstlam's jb. <br />Using Android script.
<br /><br /><br />Both work fine for me and PA has always worked fine.<br /><br />What is the output from the script Edited by Snap.IT

<br /><br /><br />Both work fine for me and PA has always worked fine.<br /><br />What is the output from the script

When I tried mokee ROM http://db.tt/Ys1Ymke8

& for PA JB http://db.tt/PAMJmo0i

If I delete MakeLoopROM folder and extract again then gb and ics ROMs are converted fine but above problem comes when I try JB(PA & burstlam's) but not for konstas.

And I still can't move my looprom apps to sdcard.

Any ideas.

Guest Snap.IT

When I tried mokee ROM http://db.tt/Ys1Ymke8

& for PA JB http://db.tt/PAMJmo0i

If I delete MakeLoopROM folder and extract again then gb and ics ROMs are converted fine but above problem comes when I try JB(PA & burstlam's) but not for konstas.

And I still can't move my looprom apps to sdcard.

Any ideas.

Ahh, that happens because you aborted the script a few times (first one) so eventually you ran out of loop devices. You can either manually unmount the loop devices or just reboot.

Regarding apps on sdcard (or rather on another place on the sdcard) i am at a loss, it works for me. I'll be home tomorrow so i'll see if i can't track that down then.

I have a new version that i'll release next week.

Ahh, that happens because you aborted the script a few times (first one) so eventually you ran out of loop devices. You can either manually unmount the loop devices or just reboot.

Regarding apps on sdcard (or rather on another place on the sdcard) i am at a loss, it works for me. I'll be home tomorrow so i'll see if i can't track that down then.

I have a new version that i'll release next week.

Even if I reboot,I experience same thing every time. I don't have loop8 file in the dev / block. I think that might be the problem.

New version, seems nice . Anything new!

Guest Snap.IT

Even if I reboot,I experience same thing every time. I don't have loop8 file in the dev / block. I think that might be the problem.

New version, seems nice . Anything new!

That it's trying to use loop8 means that you already have 8 loop files running. What rom are you running?

What is the output of losetup if you run it as su in a terminal session?

New version will be more streamlined and user friendly along with a few fixes so you don't get the question about overwriting. It also has a script for cleaning up and removing ROMs you don't want to keep.

That it's trying to use loop8 means that you already have 8 loop files running. What rom are you running?

What is the output of losetup if you run it as su in a terminal session?

New version will be more streamlined and user friendly along with a few fixes so you don't get the question about overwriting. It also has a script for cleaning up and removing ROMs you don't want to keep.

Running burstlam's Cm9 as nand ROM and output of losetup is in the above link. Besides used tilall's app, there also JB is not converting.

New version seems promising, it reflects all the hard work you have done. Keep up good work and I am glad that you have blade. :-)

Guest Snap.IT

Running burstlam's Cm9 as nand ROM and output of losetup is in the above link. Besides used tilall's app, there also JB is not converting.

New version seems promising, it reflects all the hard work you have done. Keep up good work and I am glad that you have blade. :-)

I mean if you just open a terminal session and run losetup as su.

I want to see what is mounted on all of those loop devices because nothing should be mounted on loop if you're running a nand rom.

It might have something to do with Burstlams ROM.

I mean if you just open a terminal session and run losetup as su.

I want to see what is mounted on all of those loop devices because nothing should be mounted on loop if you're running a nand rom.

It might have something to do with Burstlams ROM.

http://db.tt/0744usvU is this correct?

Which rom do you use as nand, so I will also try out same to see if things work out.

Edited by n1729

Guest Snap.IT

http://db.tt/0744usvU is this correct?

Which rom do you use as nand, so I will also try out same to see if things work out.

Ahh, it's a few apps that are mounted as loop files, enough of them to fill all available loop device.

This will be resolved in my new version which only needs one available loop device.

I use Paranoid JB but that wouldn't help you since this has to do with apps using up available loop devices.

Ahh, it's a few apps that are mounted as loop files, enough of them to fill all available loop device.

This will be resolved in my new version which only needs one available loop device.

I use Paranoid JB but that wouldn't help you since this has to do with apps using up available loop devices.

Thanks for looking into it. Maybe because of this only I cannot move my app on looprom to sd.

Waiting for new version. :-)

Guest Snap.IT

Thanks for looking into it. Maybe because of this only I cannot move my app on looprom to sd.

Waiting for new version. :-)

You should be fine moving five apps into loop roms on your sd when running a loop rom, i just don't get why they do it like that, i'll work on something to fix that too, you could just use one loop for asec and let everything mount within that loop.

Guest raizor6th

hi, can anyone help me? i couldn't make it right. I downloaded the MakeLoopROM-Android-V6.tar put it to the root of sdcard then run terminal emulator typed tar -xvf MakeLoopRom-Android-V6.tar but it says there is no such file in the directory. any idea? or how can i unpack the file withouth the pc? thanks

Guest Snap.IT

hi, can anyone help me? i couldn't make it right. I downloaded the MakeLoopROM-Android-V6.tar put it to the root of sdcard then run terminal emulator typed tar -xvf MakeLoopRom-Android-V6.tar but it says there is no such file in the directory. any idea? or how can i unpack the file withouth the pc? thanks

Most likely a typo or you didn't download it to the right place, you should run su before you issue the tar command but it really shouldn't be needed.

The procedure is as follows:

1. Download file to root of sdcard

2. start terminal session

3. verify with ls (ls -la /sdcard/MakeLoopROM-Android-V6.tar

4. su

5. tar -xvf MakeLoopROM-Android-V6.tar

6. cd /sdcard/MakeLoopROM

7. sh makelooprom-startup.

Guest raizor6th

Most likely a typo or you didn't download it to the right place, you should run su before you issue the tar command but it really shouldn't be needed.

The procedure is as follows:

1. Download file to root of sdcard

2. start terminal session

3. verify with ls (ls -la /sdcard/MakeLoopROM-Android-V6.tar

4. su

5. tar -xvf MakeLoopROM-Android-V6.tar

6. cd /sdcard/MakeLoopROM

7. sh makelooprom-startup.

im sure there was no typo, anyway i have extracted it using pc and do the commands but i have these:

Do you want to make an image file to hold the system for this ROM? (not neccessary if it's an upgrade from a previous ROM) Y for yes any other key for no.

y

What do you want to call your system image? (give it a name you'll remember, like cm-7-system for a cm-7 loop install)

cm9-system

What size do you want your system image to be (in MB's)? (WARNING: if you make it too small your ROM +other packages like gapps might not fit, make it 250)

225280+0 records in

225280+0 records out

230686720 bytes transferred in 56.511 secs (4082156 bytes/sec)

Do you want to make an image file to hold the data for this ROM? (not neccessary if it's an upgrade from a previous ROM or you want to share a data image with another ROM) Y for yes any other key for no.

y

What do you want to call your data image? (give it a name you'll remember like cm-7-data for a cm-7 loopinstall)

cm9-data

What size do you want your data image to be (in MB's)? (This file will hold all of your data, don't skimp on the size)

51200+0 records in

51200+0 records out

52428800 bytes transferred in 8.978 secs (5839697 bytes/sec)

Type the name of the ROM you copied to this directory without the file ending. For example if your ROM file name is cm-7.2.0-blade.zip you type cm-7.2.0-blade

cm-10-20120927-KonstaKANG-blade_2

unzipping your ROM

unzip: write: No space left on device

unzip: inflate error

Saving base and cmdline of boot.img from current ROM (cm-10-20120927-KonstaKANG-blade_2) for future use

Extracting the boot.img of current ROM (cm-10-20120927-KonstaKANG-blade_2)

Page size: 2048 (0x00000800)

Kernel size: 3486120 (0x003531a8)

Ramdisk size: 173834 (0x0002a70a)

Second size: 0 (0x00000000)

Board name:

Command line: androidboot.hardware=blade console=null

Writing boot.img-kernel ... complete.

Writing boot.img-ramdisk.gz ... complete.

/sdcard/ramdisk1.img: write error: No space left on device

1+0 records in

0+0 records out

0 bytes transferred in 0.001 secs (0 bytes/sec)

mke2fs: Device size reported to be zero. Invalid partition specified, or

partition table wasn't reread after running fdisk, due to

a modified partition being busy and in use. You may need to reboot

to re-read your partition table.

mount: Invalid argument

/sdcard/bootimg.img: write error: No space left on device

1+0 records in

0+0 records out

/sdcard/output.img: write error: No space left on device

1+0 records in

0+0 records out

581 blocks

mkdir failed for ../../../MakeLoopROM/output/bootimg-contents/, No space left on device

cp: can't create '../../../MakeLoopROM/output/bootimg-contents/cm-10-20120927-KonstaKANG-blade_2.cfg': No such file or directory

cp: can't create '../../../MakeLoopROM/output/bootimg-contents/initrd.img': No such file or directory

cp: can't create directory '../../../MakeLoopROM/output/bootimg-contents/ramdisk-contents': No such file or directory

cp: can't create '../../../MakeLoopROM/output/bootimg-contents/zImage': No such file or directory

failed: Invalid argument

failed: Invalid argument

What is the name of the system image you'll be using for this ROM? If you made a system image before for this ROM then use that name (cm9-system) and if you want to reuse a system image file you've created before, use that name. Typos will result in a non booting installation

Guest Snap.IT

You don't have enough free space on your sdcard.

Delete some stuff and try again.... besides 50 megs for data? That's not very much if you intend to use your phone at all.

Guest raizor6th

You don't have enough free space on your sdcard.

Delete some stuff and try again.... besides 50 megs for data? That's not very much if you intend to use your phone at all.

how much should be sufficient to fit two roms and some apps?

Guest Sulthekk

That depends on the roms and the apps.

Some roms may fit into 160mb, but 210 should be fine for any rom. Data size depends on the number and size of apps you want to use.

Do I need to make a full wipe before installing any new loop ROM zip file through Recovery?

I have installed a file (Swedish Snow RLS7 loop ROM on a KonstaT's JB 4.1 nandROM) without any wipe and my phone does not boot - it just stops on the android logo.

Anyway, the idea to have multiple ROMs on a phone is great! Thanks for your script Snap.IT!

Guest Snap.IT
how much should be sufficient to fit two roms and some apps?

A couple of gigabytes for two roms used during conversion and for data and system images. As it is you have about 300MB free on your sdcard and that is not enough to make the needed files for conversion.

Next version will use about half of the space during conversion but there is a problem using sparse files for data and system so i'll have to revisit that in a future version.

About 500 MB is a good size for a data file. You can share data beteen loop roms if you like (provided the roms are compatible).

Guest Snap.IT
Do I need to make a full wipe before installing any new loop ROM zip file through Recovery?

I have installed a file (Swedish Snow RLS7 loop ROM on a KonstaT's JB 4.1 nandROM) without any wipe and my phone does not boot - it just stops on the android logo.

Anyway, the idea to have multiple ROMs on a phone is great! Thanks for your script Snap.IT!

No, the loop rom doesn't touch the nand data partition so bo wipes are needed.

It's almost impossible to say why your loop rom won't boot without seeing the output of the script and the logs from recovery after installation.

What would help is if you can extract the boot.img and the updater-script from the rom and upload them so i can take a look at them.

Guest raizor6th

A couple of gigabytes for two roms used during conversion and for data and system images. As it is you have about 300MB free on your sdcard and that is not enough to make the needed files for conversion.

Next version will use about half of the space during conversion but there is a problem using sparse files for data and system so i'll have to revisit that in a future version.

About 500 MB is a good size for a data file. You can share data beteen loop roms if you like (provided the roms are compatible).

sorry bro I'm kinda slow here, you mean i need a 2GB free space on sdcard? but i only have a 2GB kingstone sdcard wich has 613MB free/1.6GB this means i cannot do a multiboot loop on a smaller data storage sdcard. :(

No, the loop rom doesn't touch the nand data partition so bo wipes are needed.

It's almost impossible to say why your loop rom won't boot without seeing the output of the script and the logs from recovery after installation.

What would help is if you can extract the boot.img and the updater-script from the rom and upload them so i can take a look at them.

I have decided to do a full wipe, reinstalled KonstaT's JB ROM and gapps and just after this I installed exactly the same loop ROM package as before (the same file I tried before my previous post; I didn't change anything in the multiboot folder) and after reboot SS RLS 7 worked perfectly and I was able to reboot back to JB which also worked well. But when I installed a few apps in JB rom (nandROM) and tried to boot into SS loopROM again, the boot process stopped on the android logo. I had to reflash the JB ROM once more.

Maybe I will try the android version of your script. Previously I used the Linux version and transferred the multiboot folder from PC to the phone's sdcard.

EDIT:

I tried the android version of the script. During the run the script displayed 'device not found' info a few times but finally it said everything was completed and produced all the required files (zip package, boot image file, etc.). Recovery installs the zip produced by the script. But unfortunatelly I'm still not uble to boot. I need to restore boot.img by the recovery advanced backup to boot into my nandROM.

Any ideas?

Edited by Walwon

Guest Snap.IT

I have decided to do a full wipe, reinstalled KonstaT's JB ROM and gapps and just after this I installed exactly the same loop ROM package as before (the same file I tried before my previous post; I didn't change anything in the multiboot folder) and after reboot SS RLS 7 worked perfectly and I was able to reboot back to JB which also worked well. But when I installed a few apps in JB rom (nandROM) and tried to boot into SS loopROM again, the boot process stopped on the android logo. I had to reflash the JB ROM once more.

Maybe I will try the android version of your script. Previously I used the Linux version and transferred the multiboot folder from PC to the phone's sdcard.

EDIT:

I tried the android version of the script. During the run the script displayed 'device not found' info a few times but finally it said everything was completed and produced all the required files (zip package, boot image file, etc.). Recovery installs the zip produced by the script. But unfortunatelly I'm still not uble to boot. I need to restore boot.img by the recovery advanced backup to boot into my nandROM.

Any ideas?

Well wiping is completely unnecessary, you wouldn't remove your OS if you are burning a live cd, would you? Whatever changed had nothing what so ever to do with the wiping, a loop install doesn't care about your nand storage content, it doesn't try to access it and it doesn't change it (apart from the boot.img which is a necessary change for it to boot to the loop install but that happens with all rom installations and is independent on any wipe).

Now, when you get "device not found" it's because one of the loop files created during the scripts conversion is missing, in my new version (which is done but i've changed A LOT so i will have to completely rewrite the instructions before i post it) there is only one smaller loop file used during conversion so if you have at least one free loop device it will run (if you don't something is horribly wrong).

Regarding the problem with the flashing of boot.img when you are switching between roms, for some reason flash_img isn't working properly and it seems to be completely random, i thought i had solved it by running erase_image beforehand but that didn't work at all so in the new script i'll be using dd to "flash" the boot.img, that seems to work better but i need feedback on that.

Guest Snap.IT

sorry bro I'm kinda slow here, you mean i need a 2GB free space on sdcard? but i only have a 2GB kingstone sdcard wich has 613MB free/1.6GB this means i cannot do a multiboot loop on a smaller data storage sdcard.

Well, with the new version (released as soon as i have finished rewriting the script) you need a lot less space but 613 is tight if you want to have a sizeable data partition.

However, with the new script you could use 200 for system and the same for data and it should fit inside 613 MB. The older version of the script relied on copying some files rather than moving them which made some operations take more time and use twice the amount of space. The reason for that was that some ROM's have a defunct busybox where mv isn't working properly, since i include a full busybox with the script i'm using that one in the new script.

Guest raizor6th

Well, with the new version (released as soon as i have finished rewriting the script) you need a lot less space but 613 is tight if you want to have a sizeable data partition.

However, with the new script you could use 200 for system and the same for data and it should fit inside 613 MB. The older version of the script relied on copying some files rather than moving them which made some operations take more time and use twice the amount of space. The reason for that was that some ROM's have a defunct busybox where mv isn't working properly, since i include a full busybox with the script i'm using that one in the new script.

thanks a lot man. so in the new script i can now copy two roms with your multiboot with my current free space in sdcard. will wait for the latest script. thanks