[MOD] [SCRIPT] Multiboot via loop file [19/12]

Guest Snap.IT

Guest gunapriyan

Dear Snap,

As per your instruction, i had successfully two loop ROMS (CM10-Burstlam and PA-JB).....

I was given System 250MB and Data 100 MB.....

After enter into PA....I am unable to install app.....Faced error message like "Out of Space".....

Is there any wrong in my space allocation?

Note : I am using 8 GB SD.....

Please advise me...

Regards,

Guna

Dear Snap,

As per your instruction, i had successfully two loop ROMS (CM10-Burstlam and PA-JB).....

After enter into PA....I am unable to install app.....Faced error message like "Out of Space".....

Please advise me...

Regards,

Guna

Increase Data to 300mbs :)

Guest Snap.IT

Dear Snap,

Please advise me...

Regards,

Guna

100MB is WAY too low. As De@n said, make it 300.

Personally i never make it less than 500 simply because i share it between ROMs and i like having enough room left to install all apps i'm using and enough left over for those apps that i simply want to try out. Do NOT share it between versions though, that is a recepie for disaster.

You can share the data partition between those two roms but remember that if you change a setting in one ROM it will change in the other too.

Edited by Snap.IT

<br /><br />Yup, the installation worked fine and unpacking your boot.img and reading the init.rc reveals that it is exactly as it should. The problem seems to be with either flashing the boot.img or mounting system via the init.rc script.<br /><br />To confirm that it is a problem with flashing the boot image, try this:<br /><br />1. Start terminal session<br />2. su<br />3. cd /sdcard/multiboot<br />4. erase_image boot<br />5. flash_image boot Swedish-Snow-RLS7boot.img (i assume this is what the boot.img is called because of the name of the ROM you uploaded).<br /><br />If the result isn't a success then the output should show that, if it IS a success then the problem is with mounting system.<br /><br />To restore your boot.img of the nand ROM just do this:<br /><br />1. Start terminal session <br />2. su<br />3. cd /sdcard/multiboot<br />4. erase_image boot<br />5. flash_image boot boot.img
<br /><br />After step 4. there is an error:<br />'not erasing bad block at 0x01c0000'<br />than at step 5. it says: 'not writing bad block at 0x01c0000'.<br />Does it mean that there is some problem with the sd card internal memory, or just the boot file Edited by Walwon

Guest Snap.IT

After step 4. there is an error:

'not erasing bad block at 0x01c0000'

than at step 5. It says: 'not writing bad blok at 0x01c0000'.

Does it mean that there is some problem with the sd card or just the boot file?

It's way worse than that, you have a bad block on your NAND boot partition. This is most probably a hardware issue (if it's not it has to do with a bad TPT and that can be resolved by TPT'ing again).

Since it is marked bad it shouldn't present a problem under normal circumstances.

But since it does and different versions of erase and write boot boot image programs can be flakey i'll make you a kernel update file to try.

In my next version the script will include this function by default, it will make a flashable kernel package in your loop roms folder (along with a flashable package of saved nand ROM in your multiboot folder).

Flashable kernel package: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54672755/Swedish-Snow-RLS7boot.zip

Guest Snap.IT

Can we install ROM in EXT partition? that would be more easy and fast? what you guys think?......

There is already an option to do that in another script on this forum.

The problem as i see it is that you need to partition your card and the amount is limited to one ROM on your NAND and one in your two ext partitions (one for /system and one for /data). If you are using /sd-ext for your nand you can't use a swap partition in that scenario since the maximum number of primary partitions is 4, you can't use extended with logical drives either.

Quite frankly i have seen absolutely no speed improvement over using loop files at all provided that you have a proper read-ahead set (which does a helluvalot for loop files on /sdcard but nothing for other partitions mounted as /system).

To use a separate ext partition for loop files makes no difference what so ever if that's what you were thinking about, however it does solve another problem, that you can't unmount /system to mount /sdcard as usb storage and access it on your computer.

It's way worse than that, you have a bad block on your NAND boot partition. This is most probably a hardware issue (if it's not it has to do with a bad TPT and that can be resolved by TPT'ing again).

Since it is marked bad it shouldn't present a problem under normal circumstances.

But since it does and different versions of erase and write boot boot image programs can be flakey i'll make you a kernel update file to try.

In my next version the script will include this function by default, it will make a flashable kernel package in your loop roms folder (along with a flashable package of saved nand ROM in your multiboot folder).

Flashable kernel package: https://dl.dropbox.c...ow-RLS7boot.zip

Well, except for the problems with your script, my phone seems to behave normal. I don't have any problems with it.

Each time after unsuccessful experiment with the script I just restored boot by cwm advanced recovery and everything worked fine again.

I could try reTPT-ing in an attempt to remove this bad block in boot but probably I would do it only if I decide to change the ROM again some time in the future. I wouldn't like to reconfigure all my apps now.

Do you think that formatting boot from within cwm "mounts and storage > format boot" could help? This would be much easier, faster, and more safe that TPT (?).

EDIT:

I have formatted boot in cwm, but it didn't help. When I do "flash_image boot boot.img" there is still the same error about bad block.

What is this kernel package supposed to do? I have flashed it through cwm and once more the boot process stopped on the 'green android guy' and I had to pull out the battery, put it back, enter into recovery mode, and restore boot.

Edited by Walwon

Guest Snap.IT

Well, except for the problems with your script, my phone seems to behave normal. I don't have any problems with it.

Each time after unsuccessful experiment with the script I just restored boot by cwm advanced recovery and everything worked fine again.

I could try reTPT-ing in an attempt to remove this bad block in boot but probably I would do it only if I decide to change the ROM again some time in the future. I wouldn't like to reconfigure all my apps now.

Do you think that formatting boot from within cwm "mounts and storage > format boot" could help? This would be much easier, faster, and more safe that TPT (?).

EDIT:

I have formatted boot in cwm, but it didn't help. When I do "flash_image boot boot.img" there is still the same error about bad block.

What is this kernel package supposed to do? I have flashed it through cwm and once more the boot process stopped on the 'green android guy' and I had to pull out the battery, put it back, enter into recovery mode, and restore boot.

The problem is that since there is a bad block the boot.img isn't written correctly (which is strange since it's marked bad already) i made the kernel update package to format and write a raw boot image via recovery, unfortunately that didn't work either. :(

Even if you TPT you can just restore your CWM backup so no reinstall is neccessary, a TPT won't touch your sdcard at all so your previous backups can be restored afterwards, it probably won't help but i'm at a loss of what else to try. There is a good chance that your boot partition will cause problems in the future though so make frequent backups of your data so you won't lose it.

Did the red led turn off during any of your attempted boots?

The problem is that since there is a bad block the boot.img isn't written correctly (which is strange since it's marked bad already) i made the kernel update package to format and write a raw boot image via recovery, unfortunately that didn't work either. :(

Even if you TPT you can just restore your CWM backup so no reinstall is neccessary, a TPT won't touch your sdcard at all so your previous backups can be restored afterwards, it probably won't help but i'm at a loss of what else to try. There is a good chance that your boot partition will cause problems in the future though so make frequent backups of your data so you won't lose it.

Did the red led turn off during any of your attempted boots?

OK. I will do TPT to see if it would remove the bad block.

Yes, the red LED turns off during boots, but after this there are no more noticable changes.

EDIT 1:

I did TPT. There were no errors displayed during the process. After TPT I have installed your recent CWM touch (stable) and restored ROM from cwm backup. It booted without any problems and seems working properly. But when in terminal I do "erase_image boot" there is still: "not erasing bad block at ....". So, TPT didn't change anything... :-(

EDIT 2:

I have even decided to use KonstaT's all-in-one Swedish-Snow-RLS7-TPT.zip for TPT. After this SS RLS7 worked perfectly. Than I used Amphora's v10f TPT, installed you touch recovery, and recovered CM10 from CWM backup. There were no signs of any error at any time. Each time the ROMs and CWM booted without any problems. But even after this double TPT there is still the same info about bad block in terminal when I try to erase_image boot...

Why is it that the boot.img that is flashed by TPT or installed together with CWM or restered from backup works OK but it doesn't work through terminal?

Well, I suppose I can live with it.

Thanks again for your help! :-)

Edited by Walwon

Guest Snap.IT

OK. I will do TPT to see if it would remove the bad block.

Yes, the red LED turns off during boots, but after this there are no more noticable changes.

EDIT 1:

I did TPT. There were no errors displayed during the process. After TPT I have installed your recent CWM touch (stable) and restored ROM from cwm backup. It booted without any problems and seems working properly. But when in terminal I do "erase_image boot" there is still: "not erasing bad block at ....". So, TPT didn't change anything... :-(

EDIT 2:

I have even decided to use KonstaT's all-in-one Swedish-Snow-RLS7-TPT.zip for TPT. After this SS RLS7 worked perfectly. Than I used Amphora's v10f TPT, installed you touch recovery, and recovered CM10 from CWM backup. There were no signs of any error at any time. Each time the ROMs and CWM booted without any problems. But even after this double TPT there is still the same info about bad block in terminal when I try to erase_image boot...

Why is it that the boot.img that is flashed by TPT or installed together with CWM or restered from backup works OK but it doesn't work through terminal?

Well, I suppose I can live with it.

Thanks again for your help! :-)

This doesn't make much sense to me, if the led turns off the kernel has booted, that would mean that the problem isn't with the boot.img after all, it's with the mounting of the loop files via the init.rc script since it doesn't even display the bootanimation. That is also extremely strange since you've mounted /sdcard/multiboot/ss7sys and it mounted fine and i've installed your loop rom after creating the loop files and that worked too.

If it had been that it's a problem with the terminal flash_image and erase_image then flashing the kernel package i uploaded would have fixed that.

It's obvious that something somewhere is wrong but i have no idea what it is at this point in time. I'm still running your converted SSRLS7 without problems along with mokee, CM-10 and PA-JB.

This doesn't make much sense to me, if the led turns off the kernel has booted, that would mean that the problem isn't with the boot.img after all, it's with the mounting of the loop files via the init.rc script since it doesn't even display the bootanimation. That is also extremely strange since you've mounted /sdcard/multiboot/ss7sys and it mounted fine and i've installed your loop rom after creating the loop files and that worked too.

If it had been that it's a problem with the terminal flash_image and erase_image then flashing the kernel package i uploaded would have fixed that.

It's obvious that something somewhere is wrong but i have no idea what it is at this point in time. I'm still running your converted SSRLS7 without problems along with mokee, CM-10 and PA-JB.

Yeah, that is very strange.

Just to be completely sure, I installed your SS7 kernel package once more, than I installed the SS7 loop zip, and rebooted the phone. As during previous attempts, "a green android guy" logo appeared, after a moment red LED went off and nothing more happened after several minutes of waiting. But after restoring boot from CWM backup, CM10 is booting properly, everythging is back to 'normal' and working well...

If the script and my files work in your case, it probably means that the problem must be with my phone.

As I said, as long as it boots and operates my current ROM properly, it is not a big issue for me. If I want to have fully operating system, I can always go back to SS7 by restoring it my CWM backup although it is not as convenient as using the multiboot script.

Thanks once more!

Guest Snap.IT

Yeah, that is very strange.

Just to be completely sure, I installed your SS7 kernel package once more, than I installed the SS7 loop zip, and rebooted the phone. As during previous attempts, "a green android guy" logo appeared, after a moment red LED went off and nothing more happened after several minutes of waiting. But after restoring boot from CWM backup, CM10 is booting properly, everythging is back to 'normal' and working well...

If the script and my files work in your case, it probably means that the problem must be with my phone.

As I said, as long as it boots and operates my current ROM properly, it is not a big issue for me. If I want to have fully operating system, I can always go back to SS7 by restoring it my CWM backup although it is not as convenient as using the multiboot script.

Thanks once more!

It may have something to do with SSRLS7 specifically, if you want to you could try mokee for a fully functional ROM and see if that works. :)

I was really hoping to resolve this but it seems that there is just something i can't figure out that makes it impossible for your phone to boot the SSRLS7. :(

It may have something to do with SSRLS7 specifically, if you want to you could try mokee for a fully functional ROM and see if that works. :)

I was really hoping to resolve this but it seems that there is just something i can't figure out that makes it impossible for your phone to boot the SSRLS7. :(

No, it is not just SSRLS7. I have followed your advice and tried MoKeeOS. Your script didn't return any errors and created all the required files and folders but after flashing the resulting MoKeeOS loopROM zip through CWM the phone did not boot (the red LED turns off and that's all; I need to restore boot from CWM backup to boot back into CM10).

Maybe I will try to come back to SSRLS7 as a nandROM and try your script there to install CM10 as a loopROM.

EDIT:

I have restored SSRLS7 from CWM backup and tried to install within it the MoKeeOS loopROM but the result was still the same - boot process stoped after the red LED turned off.

Edited by Walwon

Guest Snap.IT

No, it is not just SSRLS7. I have followed your advice and tried MoKeeOS. Your script didn't return any errors and created all the required files and folders but after flashing the resulting MoKeeOS loopROM zip through CWM the phone did not boot (the red LED turns off and that's all; I need to restore boot from CWM backup to boot back into CM10).

Maybe I will try to come back to SSRLS7 as a nandROM and try your script there to install CM10 as a loopROM.

EDIT:

I have restored SSRLS7 from CWM backup and tried to install within it the MoKeeOS loopROM but the result was still the same - boot process stoped after the red LED turned off.

That's just ... i don't know what to say about it, it makes absolutely no sense to me. :(

New version is up today, won't help you but it's a lot nicer for those that can use it.

That's just ... i don't know what to say about it, it makes absolutely no sense to me. :(

New version is up today, won't help you but it's a lot nicer for those that can use it.

Just out of curiosity I have tried your new version to install KonstaT's CM10 loopROM in SSRLS7 nandROM.

After I entered the name and the size of the system image I wanted to create size, there were multiple errors:

/sdcard/multiboot/system-loop-files /cm10sys: cannot open for write: No such file or directory

losetup: /devloop0: No such file or directory

mke2fs: not found

The same happened for the data image.

The multiboot folder was not created on the sdcard.

Edited by Walwon

Guest Snap.IT

Just out of curiosity I have tried your new version to install KonstaT's CM10 loopROM in SSRLS7 nandROM.

After I entered the name and the size of the system image I wanted to create size, there were multiple errors:

/sdcard/multiboot/system-loop-files /cm10sys: cannot open for write: No such file or directory

losetup: /devloop0: No such file or directory

mke2fs: not found

The same happened for the data image.

The multiboot folder was not created on the sdcard.

Not with SSRLS7 as NAND but i have tried it with Mokee which, as you know, is also GB. It worked fine.

The startup script contains these lines:

if [ ! -e /sdcard/multiboot/system-loop-files ]

then

mkdir -p /sdcard/multiboot/system-loop-files

fi

if [ ! -e /sdcard/multiboot/data-loop-files ]

then

mkdir -p /sdcard/multiboot/data-loop-files

fi

Right at the beginning of the file which creates the necessary directories. If you can't even get that far then something is terribly wrong.

The loop file creation is really very straightforward and should always work unless your su is broken which would cause those exact problem (apart from the multiboot directory not being created, it absolutely should be created even if you ran it as a regular user.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gourav35

Right. I'm getting started on rewriting the app so it does what the script file does. Hopefully that will get rid of ALL these permission errors.

are you still working on it... i know you don't use blade anymore but if you get this work it will be your biggest gift for blade..

Guest gourav35

or in other words i want to use multi boot but I'm new to Android and never used terminal emulator or script in my entire life.. this process may look easy for you guys and i can go by step to step but I'm bit skeptical to do it... can somebody update video tutorial so I can make sure that I'm not doing anything wrong

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Snap.IT
Hi there !

I have problems with android version. When I start option 2,3 look what happen in the picture I attached.

Which ROM are you running the script on?

It looks like a problem with losetup.

Guest Snap.IT

Android version - 2.3.7

Mod version - CyanogenMod - 7.2.0-blade

If I change the ROM will this script work right ?

It should work right with CM7.2 too.

What is the output of the following:

1. start terminal session

2. su

3. losetup -f

The script uses losetup -f to setup the value of $scriptloop but in your case it seems that that value is null and that is why it's complaining about scriptloop not being a typewriter.

The script has these lines:

scriptloop=$(losetup -f)

dd if=/dev/zero of=scriptloop bs=1024 count=30000

losetup $scriptloop scriptloop

But if $scriptloop is null then you get:

losetup scriptloop

and that is why it's complaining.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest elrond_bs

Unfortunately, I have the same problem as Walwon. :( With Gen2 European Blade, NAND: CM10-KK, loop: tried SS-RLS7 & Micro7. No errors in script (latest version), but it won't boot (stuck on green droid, LED is off).

Can you provide us with a full working set of files (not just boot.img) for SS-RLS7 or CM7 on CM10-KK (or other NAND), and will it help?

Edited by elrond_bs

Guest Snap.IT

Unfortunately, I have the same problem as Walwon. :( With Gen2 European Blade, NAND: CM10-KK, loop: tried SS-RLS7 & Micro7. No errors in script (latest version), but it won't boot (stuck on green droid, LED is off).

Can you provide us with a full working set of files (not just boot.img) for SS-RLS7 or CM7 on CM10-KK (or other NAND), and will it help?

Could you zip your system and data loop files (you'll find them under /sdcard/multiboot/system-loop-files and /sdcard/multiboot/data-loop-files) as well as your boot.img (you'll find that in the /sdcard/multiboot/[nameofrom]boot.img) and upload them somewhere?

The thing is that the script works as it is on CM10-KK as well as on Burstlams AOKP, Mokee, CM-7.2 stable and nightly, both for installation when running either of them on nand and as loop installs. I cannot for the world of me reproduce the error you're talking about and since it does work for many others too it's not the script that is the problem, it has to be something else.