ICS date?

Guest originaliidea

Guest Roger Barnett

I have just emailed them:-

"Dear Care

I am waiting for the release of ICS on Orange san diego. I have been told that it should be released before end of September.

I have not yet found the update on your website, or OTA.

Please can you explain this?

Regards

Roger Barnett

"

I Hope this helps gee them up : )

Guest vermat17

I have also sent them an email, though mine was slightly more annoyed and angry sounding than yours :P

And maybe you should have said ICS for the Xolo X900, rather than the OSD ;)

Guest Gibson.1

Surely if Xolo and Orange don't release an ICS update, or at least not for a long time, Intel would release ICS, I would assume they'd want their phones on ICS at least, if not JB?

I don't know exactly how it works, was just wondering if that was possible?

Guest Gibson.1

Its a shame that's how it works, because Intel would probably be happy enough to do so if they weren't bound down by carriers. Xolo seem to be putting ICS dates off and telling white lies, but at least that seems as if an update would be closer than Oranges claim to have no information whatsoever.

im resigned to this not happening...if it does then thats awesome..but not holding my breath..By the way,are you people checking for your update via settings/about/updates from ota?

gaz

My guess is that something has gone a bit tits up at their end...

Maybe they found some bug, maybe a security glitch, or something isn't quite right. The hint above that they are "working with Intel" (and assuming they are telling the truth here) would suggest that the ICS build wasn't as complete as we thought it was.

I was watching a video Google did for developers a couple of days ago. There was a guy on there who does certification for carriers. It seemed an unbelievably stupidly complex process. All sorts of test suites, regressions tests etc. etc. etc. His job was not my idea of fun.

My guess with us is that the upgrade path isn't too clean. I've lost count of the amount of times I've read "Do a factory reset" when installing a new custom ROM for my old devices. Even between releases of the same ROM, that's often the advice. They probably want a way of updating without wiping the device, and they are struggling to make sure that's working properly. But I'm only guessing.

It's all speculation at this point. It would be nice if they were just open and honest about the whole thing. "Sorry guys, we're delayed two weeks as we found a bug in the sound service", or "Yeah, one of our engineers just got hit by a bus"... It's the wall of silence, lies, and marketing crap which I think annoys more than anything else. If we had the honest information, I think many people would be more willing to accept and wait.

I can't see them deliberately delaying the update. There is no benefit to them, and I'm sure they don't want the bad vibes. Writing e-mails isn't going to help anything. Yeah, they've lied about release dates, and yeah, it sucks, but nothing we can do at our end will speed up the process. It'll be released "when it's ready", which is how it should be.

At the end of the day, we still have a device that works, and works well with Gingerbread. There aren't many bugs, and we're not loosing out a great deal by not having ICS. Sure, it'll be better when it arrives, but I'd rather wait and have a stable phone I can count on, than a phone that's buggy as s*** and annoys the hell out of me. I'm sure most of us have had an experience flashing a crap rom which makes things 100 times worse.

Guest Gibson.1

I agree. I came from a blackberry curve, so I'm more than content with the OSD as it is, although it would be nice to hear "ok guys, truthfully ICS will be released in december".

Guest BlueMoonRising

I got a reply from Xolo :-

Dear Customer

Thank you for contacting us.

The ICS build for XOLO X900 is in the final stages of testing & verification being carried out in order to provide a favorable and a stable user experience to our customers. XOLO & Intel teams are putting intense efforts to get this done. We stay committed to providing the ICS upgrade on XOLO X900 at the soonest.

Regards

Xolo-Care

Sent: Monday, October 01, 2012 1:49 AM

To: [email protected]

Subject: ICS upgrade X900

Since September is now officially over can we presume that we were lied to when you said it would be coming in September?

Still looks like an automated response to me.

Guest BlueMoonRising

Ha ah, Orange have updated their 'contact us' page. E-mail is still "unavailable" but there is a link to a Twitter and Facebook feed. I've posted queries on both.

"Any update on ICS rollout for the Orange San Diego since September is now history? Also any chance of JB in the future as Intel employees already have it on their personal phones?"

Waiting with no anticipation at all.

Why would lava say Ics Is coming when they know it is not ? 3 times they have not delivered, is this some kind of wind up or what :blink:

Also worth noting it is now October, the time orange said Ics was being released by them, yet they know nothing about it, I believe it was paul who got that information from orange.

Surely Intel will not be happy if their devices dont get the upgrade that they put together for their devices ?

Edited by Guest

Guest BlueMoonRising

Why would lava say Ics Is coming when they know it is not ? 3 times they have not delivered, is this some kind of wind up or what

Like Ribs85 says previously there could be various genuine reasons for it but it the total blank on an honest reply that destroys any confidence in them or Orange to deliver.

Just a simple explanation rather than a generic "we're working hard on it" reply would do wonders.

Edited by BlueMoonRising

Guest BlueMoonRising

3 hours and no reply to Twitter or Facebook queries. In fact my Twitter messages don't even appear.

I am a bit of a novice where Twitter is concerned, has anyone else tried Oranges and at least seen their message appear? Or are they filtering content?

I was noting earlier how there have been no more comments on their facebook page since 25th September ? Almost like comments have been disabled :lol:

Oh wait.....there are new comments on facebook, they have dropped the price of the device, no suprise there.

Dont know what to make of this comment:

"mere paas intel ki unsigned ics update h....I cannot flash it becoz bootloaders are locked"

Edited by Guest

Guest BlueMoonRising

3 reply's from Orange, 2 on Twitter and 1 on Facebook :- "We haven't heard anything on that yet", "I'm afraid we don't have any info on updates to the San Diego at this time." and "Hi, We are chasing this up for you now and will get back to you as soon as we have some info. I hope this helps!" (not really).

At least they eventually replied although not the answer I was hoping for.

Guest b4da55
3 hours and no reply to Twitter or Facebook queries. In fact my Twitter messages don't even appear.

I am a bit of a novice where Twitter is concerned, has anyone else tried Oranges and at least seen their message appear? Or are they filtering content?

Try going 3 weeks waiting for a reply like some people have waiting for huawei about ics. Little consolation but your not the only ones....

Try going 3 weeks waiting for a reply like some people have waiting for huawei about ics. Little consolation but your not the only ones....

Yes I remember all that, I had the G300 too :lol:

I not been over there for a while, did you get open GL in the end ?

Guest b4da55

Yes I remember all that, I had the G300 too :lol:

I not been over there for a while, did you get open GL in the end ?

Official ics is not out in uk yet.they released a version on there website but pulled it so now we are just waiting.

So far openGL= yes

Full hw accelerated ui= no

The osd looks a cracking device but the lack of root is stopping me. Fingers crossed ics brings something new to the table.im following this thread

Good luck!

Guest vermat17

"mere paas intel ki unsigned ics update h....I cannot flash it becoz bootloaders are locked"

Translation: "I have an Intel unsigned ICS update... I can't flash it because the bootloaders are locked" :P